Doorless Shower size?

wmc1000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I will be moving soon. The house we are buying has a fairly large master bath area that currently has a 5'x5' jetted tub and a 36"x42" shower. We are looking at gutting those 2 and installing a freestanding tub and a doorless walk-in shower.

Trying to determine the minimum size for the shower area to eliminate any splashing of water onto the bath floor. 2 walls of the shower will be tiled and the other 2 will be tiled half walls with glass above. Appreciate any input from those with experience having a doorless shower.

Here is what ours looks like. We get minimal splash, but I'm sure it helps that the water comes straight down and not at an angle. We lay a towel on the floor to step on so any little bit of splash just goes on the towel.

Attachments

• shower.JPG
    shower.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 276
I'm not clear on the advantage of a doorless shower. I just gutted the doorless shower in our master bath and had a glass enclosure with a swing door put in. The shower is about 60 inches square, big enough for two people. When there was no door, the water sailed out of 2 openings and had to be mopped up every time. It had also managed to spoil the Mexican tile where the previous owners obviously just let the water sit, so I had to have a new floor put in, too.

Was careful to insist on the door being ADA-compliant (wide enough for assistive equipment).

Last edited:
Mine is shaped like a 9, squared off of course. So you shower in the circle part (actually a rectangle), and exit at the bottom of the 9. There's a very small lip at the entrance/exit, but it would only get wet if the shower isn't draining well. Not sure exactly why I like it, but I really do. Easy to get in and out of because there's no door to deal with, and no door or curtain to clean.

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...alk-in-versus-enclosed-89633.html#post1974707 shows a picture of my shower from the outside. The whole thread may be of interest to the OP.

You asked about size. Mine's about 5x8. I could definitely have gone smaller, especially leaving out the bottom part of the "9" and deal with a possible very small amount of spray. I have 2 shower heads like you were talking about. I think smaller than 5x5 would've felt cramped but you could do it.

I think it’s more about where the splash occurs, so where you will stand. As long as there is a wall there to deflect the spray, the size can vary. We always loved our doorless showers. No glass to clean.

Pro tip, IF you have to have glass, put RainX on it and use a squeegee afterward. You get clean, spot free glass.

No issues with ours. 6' x 4' with 3 shower heads (1 Regular, 1 Rain and One Roaming) and a seat in the corner on the right corner as you enter. One Piece custom pan from the onyxcollection.com. VERY Highly Recommended, way easier to install and clean than tile.

Attachments

• IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Pro tip, IF you have to have glass, put RainX on it and use a squeegee afterward. You get clean, spot free glass.
For about 10 years we squeegee after every shower, not sure we need RainX too - maybe one or the other?

Ours is about 4’x5’ with a seat and a 5” lip/step fiberglass pan, all tile otherwise. We have zero splashing out.

Last edited:
When we re-do our bathroom, our main goal will be for it to be zero entry so a shower wheel chair can easily fit, along with the nice wide door. Just planning for down the road so we can hopefully age in place. At least we'll both smell good. ;)

The shower in our master bath is 6'x6'. No curb, no curtains, no glass walls. We have a shower head on each of the two back walls. We don't get any overspray when using the back shower. If we're both showering we can sometimes get a little misty dampness close to the toilet, but it's not enough to even get your socks wet and dries off within minutes. Essentially the entire bathroom is a "wet room", as we waterproofed the entire floor and up around the soaking tub. (The photo is from 2004 before we had moved in).

Since the 10'x10' bathroom is open and airy, it dries out quickly so no mold or mildew issues, and it is easy to clean.

Attachments

• house04.jpg
    house04.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks all for your helpful comments, pictures and insights. We have been thinking of having the shower 48" x 75" with enough room left for a 59" free standing tub. Saw a couple of you have angled walls leading to the entrance which we hadn't even thought of.

Considering a tile-redi base to avoid any future leakage.

Also got a price from Grifform showers who make corian bases but it was almost $6,000 with shipping. Ouch! Assuming the onyx shower base wouls also be pretty pricey.

We have your proposed setup. 5'x5' with overhead showerhead. 2 walls are tiled, one wall is a pony wall with glass top and the other is partial pony wall with glass top. No spray outside the 'door.' Very minimal spray (depending on how vigorously I wash my hair :dance:) on the glass across from the showerhead.

We have a doorless shower. We love it. It does have a rainhead as well as a handshower. Very little water comes out. However, there is sometimes a fine mist that comes out on the floor. It is very minor and quickly dries on its own. I could probably shower so that the mist did not come out but I don't choose to be that careful. The shower is about 8 1/2' long.

(Sorry the pic is turned sideways. I don't know why that occurred).

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 30
For us we had our Park Model Trailer remodeled, took the tub/shower out and had just a tile shower installed, no doors ..... No need

Attachments

• 20170315_133447.jpg
    20170315_133447.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Shower3.jpg
    Shower3.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180705_141847.jpg
    20180705_141847.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180718_104708.jpg
    20180718_104708.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I'm not clear on the advantage of a doorless shower.

No glass to clean. And that is a FANTASTIC benefit!

Saw a couple of you have angled walls leading to the entrance which we hadn't even thought of.
This is our set up and it works great. We can run the wall sprayers (x3), the overhead rain shower and the traditional handheld sprayer and it doesn't get anywhere near "escaping" that shower. I don't have the dimensions, and the pics aren't great, but it gives you another idea.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 26
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom