Drive or fly - which is riskier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Just wondering if people think it is riskier to fly to a destination, or take a multi-day road trip. Road trip involves pit stops, fuel stops, and hotel, but no meals.

Risk means risk of COVID infection. My first reaction is driving is less risky because of airport crowding and extended time spent in close proximity with other people.

Last edited:
I agree. Food drive thru/pickup fast and few. Gas up, no people needed. Check in hotel, desk clerk, 4 minutes.

5 hours in a plane with coughing people plus 4 more at the airport plus car rentals or taxi.

I'll be driving.

Driving for me, absolutely. But I've always been partial to driving anyway. Unless the timing is critical, I will generally choose to drive up to 2,000 miles rather than fly. I'm not typical in that I actually enjoy cross country driving, so that's one reason. But the total cost is usually not that different and being retired I make my own schedule.

Driving is far less risky IMO. I cringe to think about spending hours tightly packed in a semi-sealed metal tube with a bunch of random people. No way unless it is a life or death emergency.

Just wondering if people think it is riskier to fly to a destination, or take a multi-day road trip. Road trip involves pit stops, fuel stops, and hotel, but no meals.

Risk means risk of COVID infection. My first reaction is driving is less risky because of airport crowding and extended time spent in close proximity with other people.

Oh I definitely consider driving far less risky in terms of COVID-19, and that is what we plan to do. You are in your own car protected air space. We take our own food and I don't worry about the hotels too much as we do a bit of extra cleaning and take our own pillows.

Last edited:
Another vote for driving.
DGF won't get on an airplane unless there is a vaccine.

Well, since I don't know how to fly a plane, my vote would be driving. :angel:

But seriously... There's no way I would fly now. Since our families live within a day's drive, there would never be a need to fly in case of an emergency.

Multi-day driving sounds horrible to me, but safer.

If I were going to fly, I'd only do it if I could do a non-stop flight, and I'd book 1st class. Not that class = less risk, but there are less bodies in your direct vicinity at least. And with an N95.

I would also think driving is less risk from a COVID-19 perspective.

I was very surprised to see something posted online by an airline indicating a high rate of air exchange when the planes are in the air. It did make me feel a little better, but not enough to get on a plane right now. And there are times while taxiing that the ventilation is on less than full.

No brain-er for me, I'd drive.... I don't/won't fly anymore, (since retiring) so it works out well for me.

Last edited:
Pre-COVID, driving was far more dangerous than flying. Orders of magnitude difference, I believe.

I don't know how COVID has changed those statistics, but if I had to guess I would guess that the change has not been enough to overcome the previously existing imbalance.

So personally I'd say flying is safer, and it's what I would choose personally.

I flew a few weeks ago and the only time there was "crowding" was on the plane, and everyone was required to wear masks. They also did some other things, like cancel beverage and snack service, and ask people to space out as much as possible while boarding and exiting.

Certainly not ideal, and yes, there is an increased risk, but again, IMHO not enough to outweigh the previous ratio. IANAE (I am not an epidemiologist), so YMMV.

I agree with 2Cor, though I think it depends. I'm trying hard to avoid getting infected, but at age 58, in good shape, I think there's a good chance I'd survive it. Overall, I think my odds of dying would be worse on that drive than flying.

If I were older or already had health issues, I'd probably think differently, as long as I still had confidence in staying awake and alert while driving.

I am presently caught in that dilemma. We really want to get out to Calif from FL to visit my elderly DM. After my last cross-country drive 5 years ago, I swore I would never do that again. But I cannot see myself on an aircraft for the foreseeable future. DW says "its only about 38 hours total driving time, that's barely a day and a half if we drive straight through."

We really want to get out to Calif from FL to visit my elderly DM.

In your case, definitely drive. Taking the risk of flying is fine for you, yourself. But to take that on and then visit someone presumably more vulnerable during a period when you could be infected but pre-sympomatic...yeah that's a no.

So it's one thing to weigh risks to travel for yourself, or to see younger family, but older ones? nah.

Oh I definitely consider driving far less risky, and that is what I plan to do. We take our own food and I don't worry about the hotels too much as we do a bit of extra cleaning and take our own pillows.
My BIL and wife just did a three day drive trip, they even brought their own sheets, pillowcases and pillows. Not a bad idea.

If I was staying multiple nights in a hotel, I’d also insist on no housekeeping whatsoever. We can make the bed and reuse towels.

If I was staying multiple nights in a hotel, I’d also insist on no housekeeping whatsoever. We can make the bed and reuse towels.

I wonder if hotels are even allowed to do this (decline service). I'd think they might not be able to with new protocols.

The Sheraton chain used to offer small daily credits for folks to decline housekeeping. Then someone would stay 10 days, leave a messy disgusting room that simply can't be properly cleaned in 20 minutes, vs. one that's had daily service.

Anyway, if declining daily cleaning is in anyone's plan, make sure the hotel is on board with that before you reserve.

I’d take a multi day road trip over flying even before Covid.
+1.... I had my fill of flying while I worked even when flying first class the last few years... Reminds me of herding cattle. Smells and all!

I remember when I first started working, anytime they would say I needed to fly somewhere I was ready to go... I never cared why I was taking the trip, I was more than happy to go anywhere and for any reason. Fast forward 20+ years and I started dreading travel by air but I'd go. (Drove when I could) Then the last 5 years I worked, I'd refuse to fly anywhere unless it was first class and there was a very good business reason.

Now as a retiree, I honestly wouldn't fly "anywhere" anymore, even if I had free first class tickets... Maybe if they paid me I'd consider it but it would have to be a lot of money.

Last edited:
I would prefer to drive, however my big concern with that is hotel ventilation systems. Which I think is the biggest problem with nursing homes. Supposedly airplanes are very good at filtering and cleaning the air in their ventilation systems.

I would prefer to drive, however my big concern with that is hotel ventilation systems. Which I think is the biggest problem with nursing homes. Supposedly airplanes are very good at filtering and cleaning the air in their ventilation systems.

My experience with the type of hotel rooms we use when traveling on the road is that each room seems to have a its own AC unit built in under the window.

Minimize time in the common areas.

Last edited:

Do you have a source for your comment about the nursing home?

If there are roads to get there I'd probably drive.

Last edited:
I'd drive up to 1000 miles. When working, that'd be an average week for me on the job.

I'd fly otherwise.

Or, I'd catch a ride with my sister on her personal LearJet.

My experience with the type of hotel rooms we use when traveling on the road is that each room seems to have a its own AC unit built in under the window.

Yeah, the cheap joints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom