Drive or fly - which is riskier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think flying would be riskier, because you are enclosed with so many other people for so long, and perhaps a few of these people might be carriers.

On the other hand, driving entails some risk too; you would be stopping at gas stations, perhaps convenience stores or restaurants, and so on, and you don't know how sanitary these might or might not be.

You probably guessed this already, but I think that staying home and not traveling would be the least risky of all. When you are home in your own neighborhood, you know which establishments are careful and which aren't. You know what to expect.

Pre-COVID, driving was far more dangerous than flying. Orders of magnitude difference, I believe.

I don't know how COVID has changed those statistics, but if I had to guess I would guess that the change has not been enough to overcome the previously existing imbalance.

So personally I'd say flying is safer, and it's what I would choose personally.

I flew a few weeks ago and the only time there was "crowding" was on the plane, and everyone was required to wear masks. They also did some other things, like cancel beverage and snack service, and ask people to space out as much as possible while boarding and exiting.

Certainly not ideal, and yes, there is an increased risk, but again, IMHO not enough to outweigh the previous ratio. IANAE (I am not an epidemiologist), so YMMV.

Driving is 750x worse than flying commercially, fatality-wise, per:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_safety_in_the_United_States

"The number of deaths per passenger-mile on commercial airlines in the United States between 2000 and 2010 was about 0.2 deaths per 10 billion passenger-miles. For driving, the rate was 150 per 10 billion vehicle-miles for 2000 : 750 times higher per mile than for flying in a commercial airplane."

You have more control over driving.

Fine , and I don’t necessarily disagree with your decision. But , as noted previously, Driving is clearly riskier pre Covid

True, but I'll drive for the convenience factor. Flying sucks, but we do it. With the additional C-19 protocols, we'll drive. Planning a 3K mile (RT) sojourn in August. Will only do about 7-8 hours driving each day and enjoy the travel.

Buy an RV and eliminate need for hotels.....
This is my long term plan. If I never set foot on an airplane again I will be happy. Once I get my house finished, I plan on getting a fancy new pickup and a slide in camper. My own bed, cooking facilities and everything else I need. I drove to Alabama to my BIL's funeral and back in about a week last year and thought it was much nicer than flying.

I want to go to Nome, AK at some point just to see it (yes I know it is supposed to be kind of a dump). There are no roads there though....so it is either dogsled/snowmobile, boat, or fly.

Just wondering if people think it is riskier to fly to a destination, or take a multi-day road trip. Road trip involves pit stops, fuel stops, and hotel, but no meals.

Risk means risk of COVID infection. My first reaction is driving is less risky because of airport crowding and extended time spent in close proximity with other people.

I've done both recently and would agree. On the road trip we were careful to use hand sanitizer after each pit stop and had two nights in hotels. If you took your own food for the trip you could make it even safer... we took some food but also did some takeout.

Yeah, the cheap joints!

The Hilton chains like Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites and Marriott Courtyard etc. are a bit more expensive than the cheapest motels, but they still have the per room AC system. That’s what we generally use en route.

I've done both recently and would agree. On the road trip we were careful to use hand sanitizer after each pit stop and had two nights in hotels. If you took your own food for the trip you could make it even safer... we took some food but also did some takeout.
Driving here we brought a crustless quiche which was perfect for breakfast as it reheats easily.

Then we had leftovers for other meals plus plenty of cheese, veggies, dip, nuts etc, for snacking during the day. Worked well, especially not having to stop at any food places saved a lot of time. We took shorter breaks at rest areas.

Carried a big cooler, used hotel microwave and fridge. I have to call the hotels to see what new restrictions there may be on appliances in the room.

We have done several road trips in the past month and stayed in hotels. We had no concerns about daily housekeeping as it was not provided at any of our hotels( Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites). The chains both said that they would only provide limited housekeeping if you were staying more than 7 nights. We brought our own food and used the microwave and fridge in the Hampton and the full kitchen in the Homewood.

The only way I'd fly now is by private airplane. Of course, I'm not in Bamaman's sister's class, we're talking Cessna 172's here.

I want to go to Nome, AK at some point just to see it (yes I know it is supposed to be kind of a dump). There are no roads there though....so it is either dogsled/snowmobile, boat, or fly.

I just went there on Google maps, and yep, there are no roads to get there! I had no idea.

Then, I went on a virtual walk through Nome using Streetview, and my main take-away is that it looks miserable, small, isolated, poor, and colder than cold.

But then if you went in person I am sure you would find out more about it. :D

I just went there on Google maps, and yep, there are no roads to get there! I had no idea.

More places like that than you might think!

A couple of years ago we visited what is known as the most remote pub in the UK. No roads at all. The only two ways to get there are either by boat (7 miles by sea) or on foot (an 18 mile hike over rough country). Delightful little place (good food and beer selection as well).

IMG_0468.jpg

The capital of Alaska is not accessible by road either, something we discovered when we visited via cruise ship.

Plenty of roads around Juneau, just not off the island. Took my Jeep there on the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry )

I would definitely drive. Use disposable gloves when using gas pumps if you think it's needed or use hand sanitizer. Much safer than being in close proximity to a large number of people in an inclosed airport/airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom