Dryuary

Kinda peeves me. Back 25 years or so ago some friends told me they took a break in January- no booze, no coke, and they worked on cutting back on various smokes. Their success was mixed, but they were an admirable couple and I thought I’d give not drinking a try.
I’m a huge creature of habit and the norm for me is about 3 oz of whatever every evening. When younger that would be interspersed with overconsumption. So I tried not drinking starting 1/1 and found it an interesting exercise. Some years it would bother me and I’d want a drink. A few years I’d “forget “ during a really stressful time and have a drink and then assign myself penalty non drinking days. It was always fun to play with my head and see how much not doing a habitual thing bothered me.
So now this is the habit. The gal knows and comments on it- she was urging me to move the month, but no variance for me- we’re in Lake Atitlan on a Caravan tour and it would be nice to join her for a drink or two but water is just fine.

Dang newbie upstarts.

Kinda peeves me. Back 25 years or so ago some friends told me they took a break in January- no booze, no coke, and they worked on cutting back on various smokes. Their success was mixed, but they were an admirable couple and I thought I’d give not drinking a try.
I’m a huge creature of habit and the norm for me is about 3 oz of whatever every evening. When younger that would be interspersed with overconsumption. So I tried not drinking starting 1/1 and found it an interesting exercise. Some years it would bother me and I’d want a drink. A few years I’d “forget “ during a really stressful time and have a drink and then assign myself penalty non drinking days. It was always fun to play with my head and see how much not doing a habitual thing bothered me.
So now this is the habit. The gal knows and comments on it- she was urging me to move the month, but no variance for me- we’re in Lake Atitlan on a Caravan tour and it would be nice to join her for a drink or two but water is just fine.

Dang newbie upstarts.

Sorry to fail you. I haven’t had any cocaine though! [emoji56]

I started it, but got invited to a dinner party and it seemed wierd not to have a glass of wine with dinner. Then the national championship game (geaux tigers!) which required a beer. But I've had a lot LESS alcohol.

December just got kinda crazy with all the drinking occasions we went to. I needed a reset, so I'm counting it as a success so far... I'm sleeping better. I suspect that after the month is out, I'll be drinking a little less often.

Sorry to fail you. I haven’t had any cocaine though! [emoji56]

No failure unless you assign it. I’ve stayed away from all manner of things currently illegal for some years now but not through any bit of virtue on my part. Coke would argue with my doctor prescribed heart rev-limiter drugs.
Speaking of drugs- I’ve noticed that not drinking in January does affect the efficacy of my Coumadin prescription. I self test my INR and notify the people I report readings to of my change in drinking habit. My INR readings had dropped in the first week so the Coumadin dose was bumped up. Others doing an alcohol free month should be sensitive to the alcohol no longer interacting with their other drugs.

I stopped beer a while back, because I just get so dang full and bloated I have a hard time finishing it (wasted money). Now I drink a bourbon on the rocks, when I drink, maybe a couple of times per month. Probably hasn't saved me much though as I like the expensive stuff. :cool:

I did it last year and extended it until my husband’s birthday in March. Really helped me jump start my weight loss. I’m not doing it this year. However, after doing it for almost 3 months last year, I’ve permanently decreased my alcohol consumption. This really helps me maintain a lower weight, and I feel more energetic too.

Had my first Dry January 21 years ago and it just keeps getting better every year. Also had 21 of all the other months too. Biggest raise I ever gave myself.

In my first several AA meetings I questioned whether or not I had a real problem with alcohol. I hadn’t (yet) gone to the depths of so many others I saw. What I know now is that “normal” drinkers don’t end up sitting in AA meetings wondering if they have a problem with alcohol. Similarly, if a person has to “control” their drinking, it’s likely already out of control.

I don’t have to control things I don’t have a problem with. For instance, I like ketchup. But I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t have to control it. Or make a lot of rules about it. But if I had to participate in a ketchup-less January I think we could assume I had some sort of problem.

Having lived both ways, I can make a fair comparison. My life is WAY better without ethanol. I certainly wouldn’t be here had I kept drinking like I was.

Your mileage may vary. I am aware that there are plenty of normal drinkers out there. My hat is off to them. And I am sure they don’t need a dry January. Neither does the other huge percentage of the population that doesn’t drink at all. But for my percentage of the population, a dry January is just a good start.

Had my first Dry January 21 years ago and it just keeps getting better every year. Also had 21 of all the other months too. Biggest raise I ever gave myself.

In my first several AA meetings I questioned whether or not I had a real problem with alcohol. I hadn’t (yet) gone to the depths of so many others I saw. What I know now is that “normal” drinkers don’t end up sitting in AA meetings wondering if they have a problem with alcohol. Similarly, if a person has to “control” their drinking, it’s likely already out of control.

I don’t have to control things I don’t have a problem with. For instance, I like ketchup. But I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t have to control it. Or make a lot of rules about it. But if I had to participate in a ketchup-less January I think we could assume I had some sort of problem.

Having lived both ways, I can make a fair comparison. My life is WAY better without ethanol. I certainly wouldn’t be here had I kept drinking like I was.

Your mileage may vary. I am aware that there are plenty of normal drinkers out there. My hat is off to them. And I am sure they don’t need a dry January. Neither does the other huge percentage of the population that doesn’t drink at all. But for my percentage of the population, a dry January is just a good start.
Goodness, I limit all sorts of things. I limit sweets, and fried foods- if I didn't, I'd weigh considerably more than I do. I limit my couch potato tendencies by dragging myself to the gym. I limit my frivolous spending too- I have ALL KINDS of rules about that. Once I gave up caffeine just to see if I could. I don't think I have a problem with any of those things. I think I prevent them from becoming a problem by limiting them. YMMV

My parents were teetotalers. I did have one uncle that drank a pint a day of hard liquor--even though he was on dialysis. Another uncle didn't work because it would interfere with his full time beer drinking.

My brother in law is a functioning alcoholic, and he's one that quickly embarrasses himself. Although I see my sister and talk to her often, we have no relationship with her husband because of his drinking. (We went thru college together.)

My wife and I may have a beer once every 6 months. It doesn't bother us at all. I think the last whiskey I drank was 1977--as hard liquor is completely unappetizing to us.

I'm a type II diabetic, and trying to save my kidneys by taking care of myself.

I did it last year and extended it until my husband’s birthday in March. Really helped me jump start my weight loss. I’m not doing it this year. However, after doing it for almost 3 months last year, I’ve permanently decreased my alcohol consumption. This really helps me maintain a lower weight, and I feel more energetic too.

I gained 5 pounds over the holidays and our Florida vacation. I've stopped drinking until I lose them. Not drinking has helped me successfully lose weight in the past. Sadly, it probably will take more than January.

I can't claim success with Dryuary in the strictest sense. I did have a beer while watching the college football national championship, and on two other occasions, a glass of wine with friends at dinner, but I'm counting it a success anyway. I broke the habit of having a drink every evening after work. I slept better and had more energy in the mornings, and I'll probably drink less for the rest of the year. It was surprising how little I missed it. Glad I did it.

A successful Dryuary.
I've been dieting and working on rehabbing my knee and it was easy to stick to a low calorie diet without the beer. Unfortunately I did not lose that much weight even with the dieting, though I did lose inches.
For me the sleep was not better in general though as always was better when I didn't over imbibe that evening. I think a couple drinks to dull the arthritis pain helps me sleep better than waking up from pain every time I roll over.
All in all no great changes, but probably a good idea to give the liver a break none the less.

Did have a drink tonight - hadn't planned on it, but happy hour with two other couples at a golf lounge. More pleasant than a happy hour with 3 couples a few nights ago in a loud crowded establishment. Normal no drink January for me, now back to drinking again.

Back
Top Bottom