Dual citizenship

One possible advantage of dual citizenship is that your children may be able to apply for citizenship.
I think not. Canada, I believe, has now stopped the inheritance of citizenship from those citizens born outside the country and who have never lived here.

I think not. Canada, I believe, has now stopped the inheritance of citizenship from those citizens born outside the country and who have never lived here.

I think the children are citizens as long as the critical steps are not missed.

The proof of Canadian citizenship for a Canadian born abroad is a Canadian citizenship certificate. ... However the child will not possess a birth certificate issued by a Canadian governmental authority and for proof of Canadian citizenship, the child will need to obtain a Canadian citizenship certificate.Jan 28, 2016

To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor must: be under 18 years of age at the time the application is signed; ... have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor

II think Canada updated its right to citizenship a few years ago with the Lost Canadian initiative.

I think the children are citizens as long as the critical steps are not missed.

The proof of Canadian citizenship for a Canadian born abroad is a Canadian citizenship certificate. ... However the child will not possess a birth certificate issued by a Canadian governmental authority and for proof of Canadian citizenship, the child will need to obtain a Canadian citizenship certificate.Jan 28, 2016

To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor must: be under 18 years of age at the time the application is signed; ... have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor

II think Canada updated its right to citizenship a few years ago with the Lost Canadian initiative.

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...-citizenship/act-changes/rules-2009-2015.html

In 2015, you didn’t become a Canadian citizen if you:

• had your British subject status revoked
  • renounced your British subject status
  • were born outside Canada after the first generation (unless one of the exceptions to the first generation limit to citizenship by descent apply)

So we are discussing two different scenarios. I am an example of a first generation citizen. I cannot pass it to my children.

In my case, my parents were born in Canada and left Canada before ,1947. They received their USA citizenship after 1947. At that time Canada revoked their citizenship.

The law you referenced gave them their citizenship back and recognized their children as citizens in this case me, even though I was born in the USA. But my children will not be recognized as citizens even though I am a citizen. This was the compromise of the Lost Canadian legislation.

Our potential conversation confusion is that a person who never 'lost' their citizenship likely born after 1960 but I can't remember for sure, and had a child in another country can apply for citizenship for that child and that child's children will also be citizens if they follow the application guidelines.

I think the Lost Canadian amendment recognizes either parent which was a change in the law. At one time Canada only recognized the mother or father, I do not remember which one.

I might be confused but I worked on this for a long time in order to gain my citizenship.

Last edited:
As a practical matter, I enjoy having multiple citizenships and they have certainly given me great flexibility. Taxes come into play only when you live outside the US since the US is one of only a couple of countries with worldwide taxation so filing gets complex.

The only downside for me is a slight psychological one. I still feel I am „American“ - it is the land of my birth and is tied with my identity somehow. So I do feel a slight sense of imposterism and even guilt when I use another passport. When asked my nationality my instinctive response is „American“ even though that’s not the full answer now.

But the advantages far outweigh the slight drawback for me.

I feel the same about being English, (Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner.... and all that). But I have used my UK passport more often than not when I was traveling abroad while w*rking. For example, in some countries in South America a UK passport saves visa costs, and I was there often, and some countries used not take kindly to Americans. I typically only used my US passport when coming back home to the USA as it is a lot simpler.

Canada always greets me with "Welcome Home" when I arrive even though I typically use a non-Canadian passport, but always flash my Citizenship card.

Last edited:
I thought that you should enter into a country with that passport that shows you are a citizen. That way they know you are not subject to immigration control and require no visas.

Yeah, that is usually the case and it is what the customs folks typically prefer. However, in most cases, as a citizen you will not get your passport stamped upon entering “your” country. So, make sure you are not planning on using your US passport for the return trip because you may get in trouble on your way out. Especially tricky if you enter the EU on your local passport, then travel to another EU country (no border controls, no stamps), and then try to board your plane back to US using your US passport (chances are, the airline will want to see a US passport or a EU passport with proper visa and/or stamp).
One time, it took me a couple of hours to resolve this problem and almost missed my flight back to US.

I looked into ways to get an EU passport as a UK by descent citizen. If I marry an Irish citizen and live on the Island of Ireland (north or south) naturalization time gets cut down to 3 years. A baby born in Northern Ireland to a British citizen parent can chose Irish citizenship will have both British and Irish citizenship. Plus I have US, so the child would have US/UK/and EU passports, the trifecta.

I looked into ways to get an EU passport as a UK by descent citizen. If I marry an Irish citizen and live on the Island of Ireland (north or south) naturalization time gets cut down to 3 years. A baby born in Northern Ireland to a British citizen parent can chose Irish citizenship will have both British and Irish citizenship. Plus I have US, so the child would have US/UK/and EU passports, the trifecta.

I got my EU passport by claiming Maltese citizenship based on my mother's lineage. I currently have, US, UK, Maltese and Canadian citizenships. :)

So we are discussing two different scenarios. I am an example of a first generation citizen. I cannot pass it to my children.

I believe you and the OP are occupying the same boat. Therefore I think we are in agreement.

Possibly my lack of the written "gift of gab" started a misunderstanding.

I believe you and the OP are occupying the same boat. Therefore I think we are in agreement.

Possibly my lack of the written "gift of gab" started a misunderstanding.

This is definitely confusing and made more confusing with changes in the citizenship laws, especially since about 2015 when Canada was challenged by all the work of Don Chapman. My Dad was a Canadian WWII veteran and lost his citizenship when he became a USA citizen. At that time, there was a forced choice of Canada or USA.

Here is a link to Don Chapman's book

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Canadians-Struggle-Citizenship-Equality/dp/0994055404

Here is the summary review from Amazon:

When Vancouver-born Don Chapman was six years old, he was stripped of his Canadian citizenship, thanks to an arcane provision of the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act. Years later, he was stunned to discover that he couldn't return to his homeland, and thus began his David and Goliath battle to change Canada's discriminatory citizenship laws. He's since become the voice for hundreds of thousands of others like himself, now collectively known as the Lost Canadians, whose ranks have included such Canadian icons as Roméo Dallaire, Guy Lombardo, Leslie Nielsen, Ricky Gervais, and Nobel Prize winners Willard Boyle and Saul Bellow. Children born on military bases overseas were affected, as were tens of thousands of Second World War brides and their children. Perhaps the most stunning of all: Canada doesn't recognize some living Second World War veterans as citizens. In riveting, hard-hitting prose, Chapman describes his fight to rectify this deep social injustice. He renders in heartbreaking detail the stories of Lost Canadians who've had their identities torn from them, thanks to labyrinthine legislation, bumbling bureaucracy, disinterested politicians, and a complacent media. After decades, Don's quest has restored citizenship to around one million people. DON CHAPMAN was born in Vancouver, B.C., but lost his Canadian citizenship 
as a six-year-old. He's been fighting the government ever since, becoming the face of the Canadian citizenship rights movement. He coined the phrase "Lost Canadians" that is now used widely to describe other Canadians in his position. He has testified several times before both the House and Senate, and has been interviewed by major media outlets around the world, including CBC television and radio, CTV, Maclean's, the National Post, the BBC, Le Monde, The Economist, Reader's Digest, the Wall Street Journal, and the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network. He's also spoken at various universities and organizations worldwide. Chapman is a United Airlines pilot, currently on leave. He blogs at www.lostcanadian.com.

^^^ Thanks @savory, I read some of the stuff on that site. There is still hope that legislation will be introduced that will allow my daughter too to become a Canadian citizen.

Back
Top Bottom