DW's engagement/wedding ring

This is the OP...I'm going to keep it. Maybe someday I will know what to do with the ring.

From some responses, it seems like I am not the only one who has a ring with no destination.

Thanks for all the great and thoughtful responses.

I would take it to a reputable jeweler and see what you would get in cash versus trade in and then let the granddaughter know about the trade in value to see if there is anything else she might like instead to represent her grandmother. If she still is a no go, I'd sell it and put the money in an account to possibly give her later. The gold is worth the weight. diamonds will likely not continue to hold value as they can now be manufactured.

Glad you've come to a good resolution aja8888.
Here's a somewhat different experience that I have: I was engaged in college but she dumped me just before the wedding (another story for another day). She gave me back her engagement ring but offered to buy it from me, I said no so still have it. It’s an opal with diamonds. I’ve been thinking of giving it to one of my granddaughters when they are older. Just not sure if it will bring her bad luck?
BTW I haven’t worn my wedding band in years, DW’s ok with that. So when my son was getting married he asked if he could have my band. I was surprised until he told his mom how much he respected our marriage.
My bit of advice is if you get it appraised keep that with the ring so once you’re gone your heirs know what it’s worth.

A friend watched her now ex pay 6 figures for her ring. She was shocked when the top offer in the diamond district of Manhattan was 30 cents on the dollar. DECADES later.

Not an investment.

A friend watched her now ex pay 6 figures for her ring. She was shocked when the top offer in the diamond district of Manhattan was 30 cents on the dollar. DECADES later.

Not an investment.

Certainly not an investment. Industry keeps the prices inflated.

Not an investment.

IMO, such things cannot--and should not--be viewed as 'an investment'. It is from the heart.

The price of something and its value are often quite different things.(paraphrasing Oscar Wilde)

Last edited:
I often laugh at folks attempting to sell something for $25 claiming it's worth $100.

That's why its important to know the difference between price and value.

I have an antique lamp that my late grandmother cherished. It appraised for $18,000. I've been offered as much as $25,000.

Do you think that I could possibly ever sell it? No! Every time I look at that lamp I remember her and all kinds of memories.

Last edited:

Not an investment.

Not only that- I've been seeing a lot on lab-created diamonds. One interesting fact: where the price of a natural diamond quadruples if it's double the size, so a 1-carat stone costs 4X the price of a 1/2-carat stone of similar quality, that's not true with lab-created diamonds. The price doesn't increase. There's speculation that lab-created diamonds are already entering the retail stream and are not being marked as lab-created. So, the perfect, nearly-flawless, make-your-friends-jealous natural diamond my lose even more value.

I'm glad the OP has decided what to do with his late wife's ring.

Years ago the stone fell out of my engagement ring and couldn't be found. When my Mother heard about that she offered me her grandmother's engagement/wedding ring set. It has little but sentimental value. I wear it to this day (I am 82). I suggest you keep it with the hope you can pass it on to a close relative.

The notion that paying retail for a diamond ring is an investment is silly.

Forget about the so called 'appraisal' It is a feel good sales tool.

In most instances the ring depreciates 60-70 percent as soon as it leaves the store.

Instead of 'appraisal value' you should consider resale value or actual replacement value.

Last edited:
Diamonds can be used in a new setting.

As an example, someone made a custom tie tac for me. It was a music staff with treble clef and eighth note holding a diamond.

We came into 3 different ring sets over a period of 15-20 years. Held onto them, not significant in the way of monetary value, but sentimental. A few years after the last one came to us, DW decided she'd like something from them, but not the individual rings. She went to a "private" jeweler, not sure I have the term right, but an office as opposed to a commercial establishment. The jeweler showed her some options, DW ended up having them all combined into a good sized custom pendant for a reasonable cost. Think rough chunk of gold, not polished or symmetric, with several small diamonds in different places.

I support the OP's choice to hold off on making a decision, perhaps something like this could happen in the future for someone you might leave it to. :)

Back
Top Bottom