Early retirement and longevity

I listened to a career counselor/talk show host the other day. He said with certainty that retirees die on average 22 months after retirement. He was to spend an hour on the topic of "what to do in retirement" but took no calls on that topic. All the callers wanted advice in finding w*rk.

I can say with 100% certainty that people who never retire will die while still working.

Another note: the US has one of the highest levels of overweight citizens in the developed world. Single most important statistic regarding longevity (and even health care costs) in this country.

Not to dispute this, but what is your evidence for the second statement above?

Ha

I'm 44, close to FI, planning on ER in 3 years, because deep down I'm convinced my health cannot hold up much longer to the anxiety and aggravation associated with working. It certainly won't hurt my health and mental status to quit!

Well, my very, very, very early experience is that not working will lead me to a healthier lifestyle. "Convenience food" for me know is the apple that is on the counter or the cantaloupe in the fridge. And I just got back from my first run in ages. The weather is nice, I'm well rested, and with plenty of time on my hands going out for a run is a pretty pleasant activity rather than a chore I have to cram in somewhere.

Yeah, this is going to turn out OK.

This is just anecdotal, but my Grandfather retired at age 50 because he had 3 good friends from work (who where much senior to him), retire at 65 and then die within 2 years. He decided he wanted to have some fun. He is currently 82, going on 83 still does work for the auxillary coast guard(got flown to DC two years ago to receive a madal for a rescue he did when 80 yrs old). He's had a knee replacement, shoulder replacement and a pacemaker put in and still going strong (he knew he needed a pacemaker when he had to stop climbing 10 flights of stairs to catch his breath):rolleyes:. He's my role model on what i want my life after work to be.

2 months into ER and stress is way down, exercise is up, and blood pressure is down.

Hopefully the lower stress and bp will contribute to a healthier, if not longer, life.

I had a Grandfather who RE'd early in 1938 at age 60 when he had an accident down a coal mine that shattered his legs causing one to be amputated, and he lived until he was 92 :cool: (and mentally was still as sharp as a pin)

I'll be the "devil's advocate".

When I was born it was my GGF's 100th birthday. DF went to tell him about me. Found him [-]shovelling sh*t out of[/-] cleaning his barn.
My GM's brother was a lawyer who retired at 97,didn't want to, but his secretary did and he didn't want "break in a new one". She had worked for him for 60 years. He died within 6 months.

Some people (like me) work to live. Others live to work. Take your pick. YMMV.

Well, he is obviously wrong. For many years the age of average retirement has been somewhat lower than 65, while the life expectancy of a man at 65 is roughly 18 years, and a woman about 20 years.

Can't this "counselor" even subtract?

Ha

Since these also are pretty well-known facts you'd think it would be obvious that such stories just ignore the known facts. I'm really surprised that no one has done a retirement/longevity study that takes into account voluntary vs. involuntary retirement, early retirement vs. normal retirement, retirement to something vs. retirement from something. Otherwise these studies are nothing more than fear-mongering.

I'm really surprised that no one has done a retirement/longevity study that takes into account voluntary vs. involuntary retirement, early retirement vs. normal retirement, retirement to something vs. retirement from something. Otherwise these studies are nothing more than fear-mongering.
I'd think that anyone who does a proper amount of rigorous research on these topics...

... would learn enough to immediately retire.

So the only studies that make it to the publisher are the flawed ones prepared by (still working) researchers who haven't sufficiently studied their material.

Kind of like the science-fiction plot* about the brilliant inventor who creates a time machine and then travels back in time to destroy it.

* As far as we can tell.

I'm thinking that retiring early might increase longevity. However, when I look at the list of things I need to do I get scared half to death....

Had a G uncle who retired at 58 and lived to 91- same age that his sister - my G mother died at after selling the farm at 49 when her husband died and moving to town. I think it's mostly genetics and activity levels. My mother, and her two siblings all died at about 83, all had retired about 62 but weren't as active as the previous generation.

Even if it were true, I would prefer dieing 'young' over working longer.

My experience:

If work is toxic and you can ER - why would you stay? It definitely effected my health, physical and emotional.

I ER'd for three months, then I got an offer that I could not refuse. I learned from listening to others on this site and reading all the typical ER books that you need to have a plan as to what you are going to do with your free time. Something productive and fun, a dream. During those 3 months each morning I participated in exercise classes at my local YMCA(a great resource). I would then stop off @ the library/coffee shop etc. socialize and just enjoy the no strings attached day. I also made a few rules like no TV till 6pm, no alcohol on days with a "T" in them etc...

I started to spend time with my teen age kids and hike/kayak/fish/hunt more. I felt renewed and had a fresh perspective when I returned to a job, one which I chose and enjoy, it was a positive thing.

Back
Top Bottom