East or West Coast of South FL?

We have residences in both places. Our primary residence is in SoCal and we have a condo in Downtown West Palm Beach since 2011. I personally think the east coast is better from Jupiter Florida south to Miami but east of the I-95. Living in Palm beach county is very pleasant. The choice of location all depends on your lifestyle. If you like going out to nice restaurants, theater, ballet, concerts and other entertainment, then the south east coast of Florida is a better choice. If you like sleepy towns, then Naples is a good choice. Keep in mind, the downtown cores of West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami are linked by Brightline which is one of the best train system in the world. The upscale stations and trains are second to none. So you don't even have to drive if want to visit any of the cities.

Just based on your screen name, you want the east coast. There's a bit of diving on the west side, but the really nice places are all on the east, mostly down by the Keys.

Other than that, I prefer the SWFL (where I live half time). Everything bad about FL exists on both coasts, but IMO it's worse on the east. But yes, life on the west coast is slower, so if excitement is a big part of your life, that's another point for heading east.

Thanks for the various comments. I think the East Coast of FL would suit us better. The West Coast might be a bit slow for us, although I’m sure we’d enjoy visiting it. Also the beaches and diving sound better.

One thing that concerns us is hurricanes. I grew up in hurricane country and have experienced first hand the damage post Camille, Katrina, Irma & Maria. Are high-rise condos on the East Coast relatively safe from hurricanes due to storm shutters?

Interesting post!

Scuba, seems like we have very similar interests and challenges! We are currently cruising on our Trawler from Virginia and have been on the east coast of Florida since late November. We have gotten a feel for some of the towns and currently in the Ft. Pierce / Hutchinson Island area. We will continue to head south and explore, but so far, this is the first place we’ve considered as a possible place to live, and even looked at some condos.

It has been very cold and windy (unusual year) but hopefully we can dive the Blue Heron Bridge in Palm Beach, rated as one of the top dives in the US this week....If it is as nice as they say, we might also look at condos near it....it would be awesome to be able to walk to an awesome shore divesite!

Thanks for the various comments. I think the East Coast of FL would suit us better. The West Coast might be a bit slow for us, although I’m sure we’d enjoy visiting it. Also the beaches and diving sound better.

One thing that concerns us is hurricanes. I grew up in hurricane country and have experienced first hand the damage post Camille, Katrina, Irma & Maria. Are high-rise condos on the East Coast relatively safe from hurricanes due to storm shutters?

Depends when they were built. I would only buy a condo or home built after 2005 and with hurricane impact glass. Our buliding is designed to take a category 4 storm. I would avoid those condos that you see with roll down shutters. They are old and most have mold issues and would likely fall apart in a severe hurricane. After hurricane Andrew, the building codes changed significantly. Homes and buildings have to be built with cinder block exterior walls and steel frame interior walls.

Interesting post!

Scuba, seems like we have very similar interests and challenges! We are currently cruising on our Trawler from Virginia and have been on the east coast of Florida since late November. We have gotten a feel for some of the towns and currently in the Ft. Pierce / Hutchinson Island area. We will continue to head south and explore, but so far, this is the first place we’ve considered as a possible place to live, and even looked at some condos.

It has been very cold and windy (unusual year) but hopefully we can dive the Blue Heron Bridge in Palm Beach, rated as one of the top dives in the US this week....If it is as nice as they say, we might also look at condos near it....it would be awesome to be able to walk to an awesome shore divesite!

I found the water murkey around Blue Herron Bridge but there are a lot of interesting fish there. You need to find an off-shore reef for great diving. As for Condos in the area, forget it. Blue Herron cuts through Riviera beach which is an area you want to avoid 24 hours a day. The best place to start looking for condos is about 5 minutes south of Palm Beach inlet as you approach West Palm Beach. Things get much better after you cross under Flagler Memorial Bridge.

Maybe it depends on the time of year, but I loved Blue Heron Bridge shore dives. Viz was decent for a shore dive and we saw lots of cool fish. We got a video of a juvi octopus! I think we were there in May or June. Took an underwater photo lesson for a few days. Enjoy!

Depends when they were built. I would only buy a condo or home built after 2005 and with hurricane impact glass. Our buliding is designed to take a category 4 storm. I would avoid those condos that you see with roll down shutters. They are old and most have mold issues and would likely fall apart in a severe hurricane. After hurricane Andrew, the building codes changed significantly. Homes and buildings have to be built with cinder block exterior walls and steel frame interior walls.

Good to know, thanks.

Humidity is one thing I do like about Florida. Whenever we visit. my hair doubles in volume, and about 10 years' worth of dry-skin lines vanish from my face. I just need to stay near the ocean, or it gets too hot and sticky for me.

I

Typically, there are sunny mornings with afternoon thunderstorms in the summer months. I think most of the cooling may be from the clouds (= lack of sun) accompanying the thunderstorms. ...but don't forget the humidity.:LOL:

Ii

Last edited:

In 2002, Florida enacted a state-wide building code as a result of seeing how structures fared in prior storms which included impact-resistant glass.

Since then, there have been code updates, and sometimes the updated glass and roof requirements are only required in certain locales/areas (e.g. a mile from the coast, etc.)

I've seen housing being built in the past few years with wood 2x4's and non-cinderblock exterior walls, and asphalt shingles in the Naples and Ft. Myers areas. I'm guessing code allows this, as these were sizeable complexes (100+ units).

My FL condo complex (built 2002-2005) has impact resistant-windows, heavily braced garage doors (with additional sliding locks that can be hand-activated to lock the garage doors in their tracks when a storm is imminent), steel 2x4's in the interior walls, stucco-covered cinder block exterior walls, and tile roofs. Irma was a Cat 3 when she went through this area. We lost about 20 palm trees (which damaged some of the gutters when they fell) and other vegetation, but the buildings, windows, garages, and roofs were unscathed. Thank goodness.

So, bottom-line, it's best to find out the specifics of any units you are interested in, as there's variety, even in newer construction. Also, the type of construction used will likely impact your insurance costs.

omni

I would stay away from a wood frame home in Florida with humidity, termites, tornadoes, and hurricanes. It's like buying a home in south Florida without central air conditioning. The only reason to build with wood framing exterior walls is to to save costs. We are in a coastal area so you can't build with wood frame in this area. I have seen many homes and apartments built over the last 6 years and have never seen a wood frame structure built in Palm Beach County. But then again I don't venture into the interior areas near the everglades that often. In the end you get what you pay for.

I've seen housing being built in the past few years with wood 2x4's and non-cinderblock exterior walls, and asphalt shingles in the Naples and Ft. Myers areas. I'm guessing code allows this, as these were sizeable complexes (100+ units).

You would not catch me buying one. Here where we are "Stick" built homes are 30 - 40% less expensive and the insurance is a lot higher.

You would not catch me buying one. Here where we are "Stick" built homes are 30 - 40% less expensive and the insurance is a lot higher.

I'm guessing these units sell for less that units that are built with stronger materials. Unsuspecting buyers (Northerners, seniors, etc.) may not realize there's a difference in construction and simply think they are getting a good deal, as the completed units are as attractive as the ones built with sturdier materials/standards. Perhaps they find out when they go to insure their units.

Not far from my condo, there's a large high-end gated condo community (with golf course and a private island beach with boat service to/from, etc). On the perimeter of the property, there's a small unit of this complex that has very attractive condos listed for sale at very reasonable prices...a big contrast to the pricing of the rest of the complex. I finally figured out that these less-expensive units are stick-built. I'm not sure who buys them besides the unsuspecting, perhaps investors...as they look nice and are centrally-located and would be easy to rent out.

omni

I'm guessing these units sell for less that units that are built with stronger materials. Unsuspecting buyers (Northerners, seniors, etc.) may not realize there's a difference in construction and simply think they are getting a good deal, as the completed units are as attractive as the ones built with sturdier materials/standards. Perhaps they find out when they go to insure their units.

Not far from my condo, there's a large high-end gated condo community (with golf course and a private island beach with boat service to/from, etc). On the perimeter of the property, there's a small unit of this complex that has very attractive condos listed for sale at very reasonable prices...a big contrast to the pricing of the rest of the complex. I finally figured out that these less-expensive units are stick-built. I'm not sure who buys them besides the unsuspecting, perhaps investors...as they look nice and are centrally-located and would be easy to rent out.

omni

You are Spot on.... Most Realtors do NOT inform their Buyers about it and it is disgraceful. Concrete Block is the norm for Florida and IMHO Mandatory construction materials. However it is normal for the second story of a home to be wood frame tied to the concrete in a Single Family home. Well built condos are concrete from bottom to top.

Omni550, you wrote "I'm not Shokwave, but do have a condo in Estero. "

Estero would be my preferred location, for my purposes it is very centrally located, but it seems only slightly less expensive than Naples. Are there variations in pricing due to < or > distance from coast? Or other variations? I would be the sole occupant, so that gives me a greater range of choices, I hope. Open to condo, townhome, or house.

Has anyone Tried Venice? What is the traffic like there? We too like the laid back Fla. We are originally from SoCAL. We retired here in Fla. Do not regret it. We are in St. Augustine though. Thinking of moving further South and out of the "A" Flood Zone. Looking at SW Fla.

I'm just north of Venice. Venice traffic is not bad, and the area is laid back. The island of Venice however is in a flood plane. We are in Nokomis in an area out of the flood plane. Flood insurance for our single family house is only $400/year. From here we have easy access to all the cultural offerings in Sarasota and are close to several great beaches including Siesta Key. Definitely warmer here than St Augustine in Winter.

I'm just north of Venice. Venice traffic is not bad, and the area is laid back. The island of Venice however is in a flood plane. We are in Nokomis in an area out of the flood plane. Flood insurance for our single family house is only $400/year. From here we have easy access to all the cultural offerings in Sarasota and are close to several great beaches including Siesta Key. Definitely warmer here than St Augustine in Winter.

Thanks, if you can PM me the general area I can check out the properties. Our Flood insurance here is also $400. Interesting as we are on an island in an A zone.

Omni550, you wrote "I'm not Shokwave, but do have a condo in Estero. "

Estero would be my preferred location, for my purposes it is very centrally located, but it seems only slightly less expensive than Naples. Are there variations in pricing due to < or > distance from coast? Or other variations? I would be the sole occupant, so that gives me a greater range of choices, I hope. Open to condo, townhome, or house.

Pellice,

I had looked at dozens and dozens of properties from Marco Island all the way up and throughout Naples, and a few in Bonita Springs and Estero. Much of what I had seen was too remotely located for me. (I'm single and like to get out & about for cultural and social things, as well as to go kayaking and hiking.) Also, much of the housing stock was older and not updated (popcorn ceilings, anyone?)...and lacking garages (I wanted a garage to protect my vehicle from baking in the sun and to store my kayak and bike). I also seemed to keep finding condos that had a lot of street noise or noise from a nearby pool heater, etc. (which I cannot abide.) Additionally, in season, I'd noticed that the roads and stores and parking lots in Naples were too crowded and stores were often out-of-stock, simply due to the huge influx of people.

I sort of stumbled onto this condo complex in Estero as a high school friend of my bro-in-law had purchased a unit here and we stopped by for a visit. It's centrally located, was 13 years old at the time, with large, airy rooms and a 2-car attached garage! I also liked the vegetation here. (It's a gopher tortoise preserve, although I've never seen one nor heard of anyone seeing one. Being a preserve, we have designated "preserve" sections of the property that are a bit more natural-looking which appeals to my aesthetic as well as provide natural screening.)

Coconut Point Mall is 3 minutes away -- with tons of shopping, restaurants, farmers market, and Regal Cinema's 16-theater complex. Ft. Myers/Southwest Florida (RSW) airport is 20 minutes away. Although the Gulf is a mile up the street, the nearest beach is 15 min. away. It's an easy drive to Ft. Myers or Naples for various events, 30-45 min depending on traffic/time of day...and the Everglades, Fakahatchee, and Corkscrew Sanctuary are all less than an hour's drive. I'm 20 min. from FGCU campus, and enjoy going there to hear various lectures, etc.

It's hard to say about pricing. Obviously waterfront commands $$$, but there are many other factors. If you're not into golf, be sure to avoid golf communities (they often appear to be low-priced but they are hard to sell due to their high mandatory fees -- for golf and sometimes dining fees -- which is why their selling prices are depressed).

They used to say anywhere "west of 41 (aka Tamiami Trail)" was the most desirable location-wise...but as development expands eastwards, now I see listings saying "west of I-75" as a positive. One word of caution -- there are 2 huge housing developments just underway in Estero, east of I-75 along Corkscrew Rd. (which is mostly a 2-lane road). It's also Exit 123 on I-75. So they are predicting much future congestion in that area. Similarly, Bonita Beach Rd. & 41 is a very busy intersection (~100,000 cars a day in season), so it's best to bake that into any location/driving planning you are doing. I also hear that the further inland you go, the warmer/hotter it typically gets as you don't get any cooling effects from the Gulf.

Unless you enjoy yard maintenance (and things here grow like crazy year-round) or trying to hire it done (in this very competitive market), I'd consider avoiding a house...unless you have pet(s) that require a yard. There are TONS of condos available....and fewer town-homes (perhaps developers realize that much of the population are seniors, as single-level floor plans abound.)

With an eye to eventual resale, I bought a 2BR+den/2 Bath ground-floor unit in a very quiet area. 2BR/2Bath units are much easier to resell than 1-bedroom units -- as many folks here have guests/grandchildren come for visits. Also, I learned that condos have different rules as to how long owners can rent them out. I chose to avoid complexes that allow by-the-day or by-the- week rentals -- as my research showed that often those attract people/families who come for a quick get-away...and they can sometimes be partying/letting off steam and be noisier/less considerate.....as they know they'll never see their neighbors again. Month-long rentals tend to attract a quieter crowd -- usually seniors.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully, I answered some of your questions. PM me if you have others.

omni

I sort of stumbled onto this condo complex in Estero as a high school friend of my bro-in-law had purchased a unit here and we stopped by for a visit. It's centrally located, was 13 years old at the time, with large, airy rooms and a 2-car attached garage! I also liked the vegetation here. (It's a gopher tortoise preserve, although I've never seen one nor heard of anyone seeing one. Being a preserve, we have designated "preserve" sections of the property that are a bit more natural-looking which appeals to my aesthetic as well as provide natural screening.)

Excellent Post Omni. I would be curious see where you are, there are a lot of condo near that Mall. PM me if you would want to share.

Thanks again.

PSimilarly, Bonita Beach Rd. & 41 is a very busy intersection (~100,000 cars a day in season), so it's best to bake that into any location/driving planning you are doing.

Just to emphasize her point, last night DW and I and a couple of friends drove the 14.3 miles from our house in Bonita Springs to Doc Ford's Restaurant Fort Myers Beach. We went up BBeach/Estero Rd, and it took us an hour and 20 minutes starting at 4:30. Insane! Luckily Doc Ford's lived up to it's high reputation and made it worth the trip. Going home the same way at 8 pm took us less than a half hour.

Unless you enjoy yard maintenance (and things here grow like crazy year-round) or trying to hire it done (in this very competitive market), I'd consider avoiding a house...unless you have pet(s) that require a yard. There are TONS of condos available....and fewer town-homes (perhaps developers realize that much of the population are seniors, as single-level floor plans abound.)
Very good points. We have 3 dogs so we bought a house with a fence. It survived the hurricane (both house and fence). But we are gardeners, so we've done a lot of planting. Leaving in May and returning in Nov gives us a monstrous mess to deal with. Two of my main gardening tools are an axe and a sawzall. We do have yard maintenance as part of our HOA cost, but they're worthless. This year has been spent removing the plants that go crazy over the summer, and turning much of our garden into potted plants (much easier to control). Once the dogs are gone we'll probably consider a condo. And I do like it where Omni lives, so we might look up there. But that's a few years down the road.

We had our tax appointment today and our CPA ran numbers for 2018 assuming the same income as 2017, with adjustments to deductions made per the new law. Looks like living in CA will cost us about $6K more in taxes than it used to. In the short term the hit won’t be as much because our income will be lower in 2018-2019 than it was for 2017. But once we start taking distributions from pensions, deferred comp, and/or SS, our taxes will be significantly higher than before. But probably not enough to make us uproot our lives and move across the country, unless there are other reasons to do so.

Pellice,

I had looked at dozens and dozens of properties from Marco Island all the way up and throughout Naples, and a few in Bonita Springs and Estero. Much of what I had seen was too remotely located for me. (I'm single and like to get out & about for cultural and social things, as well as to go kayaking and hiking.) Also, much of the housing stock was older and not updated (popcorn ceilings, anyone?)...and lacking garages (I wanted a garage to protect my vehicle from baking in the sun and to store my kayak and bike). I also seemed to keep finding condos that had a lot of street noise or noise from a nearby pool heater, etc. (which I cannot abide.) Additionally, in season, I'd noticed that the roads and stores and parking lots in Naples were too crowded and stores were often out-of-stock, simply due to the huge influx of people.
Thanks indeed for this long post, which gave me a lot to consider! I do plan to rent for a while to explore housing possibilities. At some point I will make a list of things I need to think about, and may send it to you for additional thoughts. Corkscrew sanctuary is a wonderful place, as is Fakahatchee Strand State Park.

We have actually broken down and booked a Hotel in Estero for 2 nights (3 days) midweek before spring break 6,7 & 8th of March. This is to look around and check out the area(s). I need to call some local realtors and get them to show us around the gated communities in that area and South.

Thanks indeed for this long post, which gave me a lot to consider! I do plan to rent for a while to explore housing possibilities. At some point I will make a list of things I need to think about, and may send it to you for additional thoughts. Corkscrew sanctuary is a wonderful place, as is Fakahatchee Strand State Park.

Feel free to PM me.

We have actually broken down and booked a Hotel in Estero for 2 nights (3 days) midweek before spring break 6,7 & 8th of March. This is to look around and check out the area(s). I need to call some local realtors and get them to show us around the gated communities in that area and South.

C'mon down and check things out. :cool:

omni

DH and I really love So CA, but if the CoL ever gets too high or the politics get too ridiculous for us, we’d consider South FL as an alternative. We love diving and we are both from the South originally so we’ve lived in heat/humidity before. We like sun and warm water year-round so if we relocated, we’d want to stay pretty far south - definitely below Sarasota. Since we like to vacation in the Caribbean, proximity to MIA would be a positive. We are used to condo living on the beach; that lifestyle suits us well.

For those of you who live in South FL or snowbird there, did you choose the East or West Coast, and what were your reasons?

I'd recommend Ft. Lauderdale - great livable city, beautiful downtown, rivers and canals throughout (they call it the Venice of America), lots of restaurants, nightlife, walking city (you can get to everything downtown without a car), terrific beach, quick ride to Key Largo for diving (like 1.5 hours), good airport, culture, fun, and relaxation too. https://www.sunny.org/

Back
Top Bottom