Eating Fish

Here's how I cook it. I learned this recipe from a Great Lakes charter Captain out of Duluth, I know it's not salmon but trout are similar. I've used it on purchased salmon and it works fine.

I have a pellet grill and heat it to 300 or so. Make myself a beverage and let it heat up til my drink is done.

I cut a piece of brown paper bag and soak it in water, I put the fillet on it skin side down and place it on the grill. (the skin has been removed).

Prepare a second beverage and let the pellet stove do it's magic.

Melt some butter and a mild seasoning such as garlic powder with some Lawry's.

Remove fish and pour melted butter over it. Eat it while its hot. Keep eating til its gone.

My friend likes to baste it with a little home made maple syrup. That is good too.

I love seafood, but am concerned by contamination of the oceans and fish farms where fish live:

https://thebeet.com/is-eating-fish-healthy/

"Eating fish? You may also be consuming contaminants including:
Mercury (farmed and wild fish)
PCBs or Polychlorinated biphenyls (farmed and wild fish)
Dioxins (farmed fish)
Pesticide elements (farmed fish)
Fecal matter (farmed fish)
Nano-plastic particles (ocean swimmers)
Sea Lice (farmed fish)
Even the EPA does not recommend eating fish more than twice a week.
At most, the EPA allows that three servings a week could be okay, so long as you choose from the Best Choices list. It's come to this: The government tells us the water is too full of contaminants and the fish are passing it along to us when we eat it."

I love seafood, but am concerned by contamination of the oceans

When I was a kid, I lived right next to Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn. About half an hour from home by bicycle were some old abandoned wooden barges, about three-fourths submerged, right next to the shore. I used to go there every few weeks in the summer and gather crabs with a long handled net. Bring 'em home in a sack and boil them for supper.

A few feet away from where I did my crabbing, there was a pole with a big sign on it:
"No shellfish to be taken from these waters. NYC Dept of Health"

The problem was that in those days one of the main sewer outlets from Brooklyn ran nearby, discharging into the bay.

Since those were the waters I also did most of my swimming in, I've always thought that as a result, I'm probably immune to most waterborne diseases known to man. :LOL:

I can just vouch for my taste and love of fish. But like the rest have said, it is good no matter how you make it prepare how to eat it.

I buy Omega 3 supplements from Procaps Laboratories - Maximum Essential Omega 3 - when, and only when, they are on sale. (They are expensive.)

I pay more for them as DH is fussy about a fishy aftertaste and I wanted him to take them.

Like Pops, I love seafood. Everything except Mackerel that is. That's the only one that's "too fishy" for me.

Must be my Norwegian genes - :)

How does smoked salmon compare to normally cooked salmon? I've had salmon but don't really like it. I can choke it down, but I'm not really interested in that.

I love fish, every type of fish, prepared in any way. Much of my childhood and teenage years were spent on the beach in Hawaii, and we used to do a lot of spearfishing. Fresh fish, just minutes out of the ocean, free, cooked on a fire right there on the beach, with friends, music, dancing.... you can't beat that! Ah, great memories indeed.

So, this post won't be much help to you, sorry! I'd suggest trying it?

I like Fish.

Grew up on Fried Catfish and other Freshwater Fish, along with Hot Water Cornbread, Raw Onions, Tabasco and French Fries.

Also eat a lot of Blackened and Grilled Red Fish and Snapper.

Salmon is Salmon Patties that ms gamboolgal fries up.

Lots of Crab, Shrimp and Oysters...hmmmm Gumbo

We do not eat Bait, AKA as Sushi :yuk:

Not all sushi is raw.

Shrimp (ebi), salmon skin, eel (unagi) and octopus (tako) are all cooked.

I am not at all a salmon connoisseur and really only like canned sockeye but do like that enough to eat it frequently. Similar for tuna. Eat canned light due to mercury worries. It has been one of my pet peeves for ages that the tuna and cracker snack packs that Costco sells is albacore which is one of the higher tunas for mercury contamination. We are fortunate to be able to buy fresh whitefish and trout caught in our Great Lake. Delicious.

... How does smoked salmon compare to normally cooked salmon? I've had salmon but don't really like it. I can choke it down, but I'm not really interested in that. Is smoked salmon significantly different? Would it still contain the omega-3? If it's good, I could see maybe topping a salad with it or just eating it like jerky for an afternoon protein snack.

I'm not much of a fish person, but like it more over the years. Some people described hot-smoked salmon as 'stronger' than cooked salmon? I would just say it is different, and I generally like the dry-smoked the best of any preparation. DW is more of a life-long fish person, and she agreed.

I'm definitely talking about the hot smoked version. I had some smoked trout once and it was actually pretty good. No comparison?

IMO, hot smoked trout is similar to hot smoked salmon. I wouldn't eat either as a full meal, kinda salty. Great as an appetizer on crackers. or in a salad, or any type of topping.

Try it.

-ERD50

I'm one who will eat anything that walks, crawls, or swims in the ocean. Or even is sessile. But if you're on dialysis or a kidney diet, avoid pre-made smoked anything. If you don't like salmon (more for me!), don't eat it. I would recommend Super DHA Omega 3 pills. I used to take them all the time. However, I've seen a number of studies that indicate that the pills don't supply any benefit, whereas eating fish might. And sadly, the highest benefit fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, etc.) all seem to also be the saltiest.

I don't worry about iodine content, or pollution for that matter. Something's going to kill me, and I love to eat fish. Having said that, I do try to stay away from farmed fish like tilapia and farm raised salmon. I've seen too many horror stories about the farming techniques to be able to work up an appetite for those.

Twenty years ago, when Atkins diet was popular, I engaged the Atkins diet by only eating a refrigerated salad made from canned Tuna, mayonnaise and chopped sweet pickles. I love tuna, so it was easy to stick to this diet. The good news is that this Atkins diet method had me losing weight very quickly. The bad news . . .
An RN-friend of mine heard I had been eating only canned tuna for six consecutive months and talked me into having a blood test for mercury toxin. My tuna-only diet for six months resulted in my mercury level being five times higher than whatever the EPA-threshold was. Fast-forward to today: My wife only buys fish once a year, for Easter celebration.

Artichoke Jalapeño dip both from Costco.

Oh man! I LOVE that stuff! Mostly I used it on deli sliced turkey or ham rolled into a little roll. (I don't eat bread if I can help it to cut the carbs) I also like it on fried pork skins, AKA cracklings. Both the BBQ/hot and the plain versions.

I'm not a big seafood eater but I do like fried shrimp... Other than that, an occasional fish sandwich at McDonald's or Burger King is about my limit.

Last edited:
I'm not a big seafood eater but I do like fired shrimp... Other than that, an occasional fish sandwich at McDonald's or Burger King is about my limit.

I adore fried shrimp! I guess I live in the right place because fresh shrimp are plentiful here. Those fast food fish sandwiches are a bit on the bland side, for me, but they are still better than no fish at all. I'd prefer trout meunière.. , or, a sports bar a couple of blocks from here serves deep fried catfish smothered in shrimp étouffée on Fridays, that is out of this world. :D

I adore fried shrimp! I guess I live in the right place because fresh shrimp are plentiful here. Those fast food fish sandwiches are a bit on the bland side, for me, but they are still better than no fish at all. I'd prefer trout meunière.. , or, a sports bar a couple of blocks from here serves deep fried catfish smothered in shrimp étouffée on Fridays, that is out of this world. :D
I'm glad you said shrimp étouffée and not the mudbug variant.:) I ate too many of them when I was a kid... (To be clear, tails only!) I just can't eat them anymore.

Last edited:
I'm glad you said shrimp étouffée and not the mudbug variant.:) I ate too many of them when I was a kid... (To be clear, tails only!) I just can't eat them anymore.

Ooh. Luv mudbugs! Years ago I was at an eatery in Baton Rouge (maybe Captain Andersons, but not sure) that had the biggest crawfish tails (fried), that I have ever seen, along with some mudbug etouffee.

Funny part is I grew up near Boston. Crawfish were ONLY for bait.

Since you all are talking about Costco, I get my Omega-3 from the fish oil capsules I buy at Costco. Don't like any fish or anything else that comes out of the water. So no shrimp, crab, lobster or whatever.

Oh yeah, Gulf crawfish are the best, just like Gulf oysters and Gulf shrimp too!

I was in Houston decades back working and as I exited the freeway on route to the hotel I saw this little fish house with "crawfish - $1.99/lb, are we crazy?"

Checked in to the hotel and already knew where supper was! Got 2 pounds of steamed for appetizer and the fried tails supper. Washed down with a couple beers of course.

That I can still remember it speaks for itself - :)

I love fish. There is a local taco shop that makes trout tacos. They are my favorite. We grill Salmon on cedar planks. It adds a unique flavor note to the fish. We also buy Coho Salmon and grill that indoors on a grill pan. It not as oily as farm raised and has an almost steak like quality to it. Costco carries both.
Sushi is great too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom