High Blood Pressure and Diet Questions

Thanks all. I bought an Omron 7 something from Target today and will see how it works.
I did realize how much BP can vary this week. The high was 158/94 on Wednesday at a clinic, 145/92 on Thursday in the Drs. office, and then 126/92 10 minutes later (after sitting quietly and doing some deep breathing).

I suspect I was drinking too much coffee lately (bad habit--I love it) and was using too much salt. So as of this week I've cut down to 1 c coffee and am reading salt labels like a maniac as well as not using added salt. Did a grocery haul loaded with fruits, veggies, brown rice, low fat milk products, salmon, skinless chicken. The x factor of course is that I have a family history of heart issues so we will just have to see how all this plays out.

That is a good article by Kessler, Rae--thanks. Note that he says too much salt does not appear to cause HBP, though--the opposite advice from what I was given by my doc.

Last edited:
On the Series 10 Omron, you can set it to TruRead mode and it will take three readings in a row and average the reading. (It pauses 1 minute between each reading so this is a ~five minute process.)

The QardioArm has that option too, and that's the way I use it. My doctor says it agrees perfectly with his own measurement.

I also keep a record (it's done automatically in the phone app that controls the device) of my readings over time. I have nearly two years of records now, and it's easy to see that the trend is downward in almost perfect parallel with my gradual weight loss.

I cut the salt and now if something is too salty it tastes nasty to me. My HBP is hereditary. My doctor said to use the cuff machine since it’s the most accurate.

The QardioArm has that option too, and that's the way I use it.

And in case anyone is interested, there is a record of the three readings. That might not seem important but in case of a high reading (or out of specs), it can give some indication of why.

IMG_0896[1].jpg

Sodium intake has not had any affect on my BP. Caffeine does have an effect, very much so. So no caffeine, and best to have an early appt before breakfast so you are not tempted to have just one cup which may be enough to skew your result for many hours afterwards.

Also might be worth spending 15 to 20 min in meditation before the BP is taken, as a way to ameliorate the effects of errors by those taking your BP and any white coat anxiety you may now have or have always had.

I would not do the DASH diet at all, sounds like an invitation to both weight gain and brain fog.

2) Can anyone recommend a home BP monitor? Omron seems to be a good choice but they have about a 100 different models and the choice is confusing.
Thanks all.

I got the Omron 10 last fall, because Consumer Reports really liked it. I linked to that model on Amazon.

Edit: I see that RonBoyd uses the same model and has already talked about it. Oh well! Anyway I'd say that it is excellent.

Assuming you have a smartphone, I can heartily recommend the QardioArm.

I like it a lot. It's accurate, easy to use, and my doctor agrees.

I had spotty results with the Qardio Arm and ultimately gave up on it. Attempted a return but was unable to do so. I have both an OMRON arm cuff style and wrist cuff style. Both work equally well. I got the wrist cuff style to bring when we travel but because of its size and convenience I use it almost exclusively. Make certain you use the wrist cuff style correctly or you will get incorrect results. Mainly you need to have the wrist cuff monitor at the same height as your heart when you take the reading. It works great.

As far as diet is concerned I limit myself to one or two cups of caffeinated coffee a day. Otherwise I drink decaf. There is almost nothing I intentionally salt anymore. That said I’m not militant about avoiding salt either.

I am taking medication, which has helped, but the greatest help has been exercise. I’m working out for about 1 1/2 hours a day at the gym, 3 days a week. I’ve also increased my intake of foods loaded with potassium, such as spinach, bananas, broccoli, zucchini and others. Potassium lowers blood pressure. The combination has my blood pressure lowered enough that I may eventually be able to get off the medication...

Last edited:
No caffeine!!!:eek:

I have an older monitor but pretty much can make my blood pressure whatever I want it to be by changing around my diet. An afternoon of alkaline veggies like cabbage, potatoes and bananas and it will drop pretty quick.

I have an older monitor but pretty much can make my blood pressure whatever I want it to be by changing around my diet. An afternoon of alkaline veggies like cabbage, potatoes and bananas and it will drop pretty quick.

Bananas? Alkaline? (thought they were mostly sugar?)

Bananas? Alkaline? (thought they were mostly sugar?)

That does sound odd. But bananas are supposed to have lots of potassium and that generally reduces blood pressure so maybe that's the effect.

It is the alkaline part that reduces my BP. Alkaline mineral water works, too. I mean it takes like hours, not even days, months or years to see a big difference for me.

Interesting conclusion made in the referenced study:

From the evidence outlined above, it would be prudent to consider an alkaline diet to reduce morbidity and mortality of chronic disease that are plaguing our aging population. One of the first considerations in an alkaline diet, which includes more fruits and vegetables, is to know what type of soil they were grown in since this may significantly influence the mineral content. At this time, there are limited scientific studies in this area, and many more studies are indicated in regards to muscle effects, growth hormone, and interaction with vitamin D.

It's nice to know what dirt the fruits and veggies were grown in!

I should add that after the alkaline foods then overnight my BP would return to normal, i.e. whatever I've been eating the last week or so. I have to eat more than usual produce for a week or so to see a more lasting impact.

In the U.S., the Blue Zone area of Loma Linda, where the population lives almost a decade longer than the U.S.average, have lower blood pressure and get 60% of their diet from produce: https://www.bluezones.com/exploration/loma-linda-california/

Last edited:
I know I have a problem with "essential hypertension" all my life, and the only prescription drug I am taking is for that.

It takes time to adjust one's taste to reduce salt intake. And it is very easy to lapse back into eating salty food.

Just checked my BP with an Omron. 124/77. It is usually not that good and jumps around all over the place, even though I try to measure it after a long period of relaxing.

It is usually not that good and jumps around all over the place, even though I try to measure it after a long period of relaxing.

That's why I keep records and graph it over time. My doctor loves that.

It takes time to adjust one's taste to reduce salt intake. And it is very easy to lapse back into eating salty food.

Salt consumption has no effect on BP for quite a few people, including me. I use sea salt daily (with no real restrictions), and my BP is fine. My BP used to be a bit high when I was on a higher-carb diet, and not exercising as much, but since I have gone to lower-carb and added more exercise, it has come down into the normal range. Actually, just eating fewer processed foods was probably the key, as doing that naturally lowered the amount of carbs I was consuming.

... I love me some fried chicken from the deli once in a while, and it seems to be loaded with salt, so that might be a new 'cause' of high BP for me. I also noticed that if I have any beer before the BP test, it always 120 over 80 or lower.

How 'bout washing down the bad fried chicken with lots of beer as antidote? :D

Salt consumption has no effect on BP for quite a few people, including me.

For those curious about the Sodium level in their body without going to the doctor for a blood test there is the Vitastiq - https://www.vitastiq.com/. (Full disclosure: I have used it for a couple years now.)

The Vitastiq pen works with a free app to indicate your general vitamin and mineral trend. The pen is non-invasive and painless.

Vitastiq shows the summary of your vitamin and mineral readings, allowing you to track the general trend of 26 nutrients over the course of time. To support your fit lifestyle, it also provides information about vitamins and minerals and their natural sources.

I ordered the Omron just now. Thinking about it, I would guess the HRA might pay for it. Will have to submit a claim and see what happens.

My medical flex account paid for my blood pressure cuffs, before I retired. They were an approved reimbursement item on our plan at MegaCorp...

Have you tried meditation?

If you have things on your mind, time sensitive issues, emotional issues etc, your body reacts to certain things on your mind because your brain tells your body to "get ready". For example: When your mind sees danger, your heart starts to beat faster.

I discover meditation deletes everything on your mind and can lower your BP.

Take your BP before and after 15 minutes of meditation. You may discover there is a difference. Meditation can clear your mind and relaxes you.

The other test is to take your BP in the morning after a hot shower. You should feel relaxed so your BP may be lower. You may discover the time of day can make a difference.

On the other hand taking your BP right after a heavy meal or right after your favorite football team just missed a last minute short field goal will tend to raise your BP.

Back
Top Bottom