Elvis 1/8/35 - 8/16/77

Still remember hanging out in my older brother's room while he was doing a little bit of weight training when we heard this news on the radio that afternoon. I was just shy of 12 years old.

I was driving home from w**k in Pittsburgh when I heard the news on the radio. When I got home my wife was crying. We were big Elvis fans and had see him in person in Kalamazoo, MI prior to our move to Pittsburgh. We've been to Graceland and have a lot of memories of Elvis. Our favorite tape/CD/8-track is Aloha from Hawaii.

Others in my family tracked the genealogy and found that he is remotely related to me (6th cousin?). I remember his 1968 comeback concert in that leather suit when I was 12 and living in Navy housing in Honolulu. We went to see every Elvis movie when it came out. On of my sons' teachers dated him. My 9 year old son has a collection of his #1 and # 2 hits on his MP3 player and loves to listen to him.

Don't Cry Daddy makes me very very sad so I seldom listen to it.

I was at Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI when he died. I was in the lounge room when I heard about it.

:rolleyes: I'm always amazed at the number of people who believe he's actually dead.
Quite frankly, I'm getting a little concerned.....he hasn't been seen for a couple weeks now.

Quite frankly, I'm getting a little concerned.....he hasn't been seen for a couple weeks now.

He's been in all the (important) newspapers lately:

images

He sure has put on weight though. Getting older does that.

Big_Elvis_sitting_VArticle.jpg

Last edited:
MasterBaster, you are crazy! The Elvis I remember was quite handsome. And those moves:smitten:

Attachments

• elvis.jpg
    elvis.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3
My mental health issues aside, I just posted the photos for their entertainment value.

Saw Elvis live in El Paso, Texas..Probably 1972
Spent a day in Graceland a couple of years ago. Of course it is a must if you are a serious fan.
My Graceland memories..How radically the standards of upscale have changed. Graceland, not much by todays standards. I guess you establish your level of love for "The King" by your reaction at the gravesite.
All in all, a very interesting day.

I never did see Elvis in concert.

I remember when he died, the lady I worked with was carrying on about how heartbroken Ginger must be. Seems as if she and Ginger were long time friends..well, according to her.

My cousin was practically grief stricken over his death. She still cherishes the locket she has that has tire dirt from a car in which he rode. :blink:

It was a shame....yeah, my tears were shed as well.

Never saw him in concert. When I was in college, my roommate went to see him perform around 1975-1976. Hate I missed that as he didn't live much longer. I remember my roommate saying Elvis was pretty fat, but performed well. Too bad he let himself go and abused drugs.

Our favorite tape/CD/8-track is Aloha from Hawaii.
Last year the non-profit organization that supports the USS ARIZONA Memorial released an Elvis t-shirt commemorating the 50th anniversary of his fundraising concert in Bloch Arena. The t-shirt was selling OK, nothing special. Then someone came up with the idea of contacting the national Elvis fan club organization (and all their local chapters) -- huge response.

Now tour operators are expecting a big boost to the local economy next year when more of those Elvis fans travel to Hawaii for the 40th anniversary of the Aloha from Hawaii concert. They're actually selling out tours with just that theme, and the tours will conclude with some sort of ceremony at the Blaisdell. The USS ARIZONA Memorial Visitor Center bookstore will probably have those t-shirts stacked all the way into the overhead.

Of course it is January, so it won't be that hard to persuade Mainland people to make the pilgrimage.

Of course it is January, so it won't be that hard to persuade Mainland people to make the pilgrimage.

I can't imagine who'd want to miss out on the great weather in this area in January....

Attachments

• P1010223.JPG
    P1010223.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 1
My family went to Graceland when I was around 12, in 1968 or 69. My dad knew one of his relatives. We got to go up to the house, but couldn't go in because Elvis was still asleep.

Ive never been back. But one of these days I expect to see the inside.

I visited Graceland 10 years ago on a weekend getaway. I knew who Elvis was and liked his music but I hardly considered myself a fan. By the time I got to the garden where he and his parents and grandma are buried I was in LOVE. I have every movie and theater documentary on DVD, and I have over 60 books about him. I listen to his music every day during my commute. To think he's been gone longer than he was a star (22 years).

Back
Top Bottom