EmigrantDirect – Your experiences and opinions appreciated.

don't want to prick your balloon, but they sent one to all their clients.  what were they thinking?

Laurence said:
I didn't get one! Life isn't fair!

PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one of mine. I haven't worn them since the damn things are pure white, a useless color from a practical use standpoint in this part of the world.

But since you live in climate heaven there in SD, sweat and dust probably aren't an issue... :-\

Give GMAC a try. It has the highest MM rate and very competitive CD rate. I like it.

I tried to give my emigrant direct hat away to a guy as part of a large garage cleaning/freecycle thing and he didnt want it.

"what were they thinking" is right... ::)

semtex said:
Give GMAC a try. It has the highest MM rate and very competitive CD rate. I like it.

Online MM rates appear to be getting more and more competitive. According to Bankrate.com, GMAC is paying 4.93% with a $500 minimum while HSBC is paying 4.95% with no minimum, although GMAC lets you write checks. It was probably different last time you checked, though, since rates jump around all the time.

I wonder if MM rates at most online bank will eventually become so close that the deciding factor will be fringe benefits? For example, hats?  :D

Ohh if they gave out Safari hats I might be interested!

For those of you who use one or the other, do you worry about the $100,000 FDIC insured maximum? Do you only keep around $100k in your accounts? I use both ING and ED and split my money between them.

biophase said:
For those of you who use one or the other, do you worry about the $100,000 FDIC insured maximum?  Do you only keep around $100k in your accounts?  I use both ING and ED and split my money between them.

I use HSBC, EmigrantDirect and a local bank for the very reason outlined above  ;)

There is a company (IDC Deposits) that will let you put more than $100K into a composite account that will be FDIC insured. They apparently do it by splitting your money between multiple <$100K FIDC insured accounts in a manner that is transparent to you. It may be worth the extra cost if you have 10-20+ FDIC insured accounts, all under $100K, but I don't have that much cash, so I never looked into it in-depth.

Emigrant is good, ING I am not familair with
Citibank is now is the same 5% business

Of all I thinh HSBC is the best.

I've had good experiences with ING, Emigrant, and most recently, AmboyDirect. Right now I believe AmboyDirect offers about 0.05% APR higher than Emigrant.

2Cor521

effective 7/28, EmigrantDirect will be paying 5.15% (no mention of more hats)

Wow, when I first opened my account with Emigrant it was paying 3.25%, I tell ya, this is the reward for being a LBYM saver vice a live for today spendthrift! :D I'm giddy watching the numbers climb!

(No talking about inflation to rain on my parade here, o.k.? ;) )

and to think that i occasionally give due consideration to the advice you guys offer

Some of these posters are idiot-savants. Some just have a little more "idiot" than others. :D

d said:
and to think that i occasionally give due consideration to the advice you guys offer

Probably a bad career move.

justin said:
Some of these posters are idiot-savants. Some just have a little more "idiot" than others. :D

Ooooh! "savant" sounds french and sophisticated!

This savant wants a pizza now.

and beer....mmmm...beer. Do they have that in France?

Oh, and you better not CPI in my eye!

Mmmm...I have a couple of slices of pizza in the fridge AND some beer. But I also have a pork loin in there and the wife wants jamaican jerk pork for dinner...

I'm quite sure they have absolutely no beer in france. I'd bet money on it.

3 Yrs to Go said:
Here is what I don't understand:

EmigrantDirect is offering 5%
Vanguard Prime MM is yielding 4.98%

Why do I need EmigrantDirect?

Don't forget the .3% expense ratio also with Vanguard! ;)

Back
Top Bottom