Entered Another Stage in Life

MikeD

Full time employment: Posting here.
When I was young, in the grocery store I would get looked at by women and dismissed because I wasn't good-looking. I was also married and didn't dress well. Then, in middle age, I was looked through, as though I was not even there. Yesterday, I had a new experience. I walked up to pick out celery. There was a young woman there holding up a bunch of green leaf lettuce just dripping water from the irrigation system. I mentioned to her that she should shake off the extra water or she would be paying $3.29 a pound for it. She laughed and said that she never thought of that. I just continued on my way figuring that if I spoke to her any more she would think I was trying to pick her up in the vegetable section. After she made her selection, she came back over to me expressly to say bye and thank me for the tip.

I think she thought of me as grandfatherly. (My hair is white...)

Mike D.

I was eating lunch alone recently and as the pretty young waitress brought my bill, she leaned over to me. I thought boy, she must have something to say that is awfully intimate. She said" I gave you the senior discount". :rolleyes:

Being 'old and safe' is really the pits.

I'm thinking here of going Grecian Formula.

Or maybe I should be gratefull there is still some hair up top to worry about.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: :D.

My bolt of lightning experience was in a doctor's office. I went and signed in, cute receptionist said, "hi darling" and I said hello. In a few minutes a guy in his 70s came in and she said, "hi darling". A few minutes later a guy around 30 came in and she said, "hello, please sign in". I went home and lay awake that night thinking.....On no, I am now considered completely harmless.

Ah, fellows....bless your heart.

Just remember this...a smart woman will know that if there is snow on the roof, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no fire in the furnace. :cool:

Not exactly on topic: I do recall when the old dentist sold his practice, and I realized that I was 10 years older than the 'new' dentist.

He is a very good dentist

When buying beer at the grocery store 2 weeks ago, I was carded (I'm in my late late 30's, and I think I look my age....) I hadn't been carded in probably 10 years or more. The cashier wasn't amused, though, when I said "Are you kidding?!?!".

Either the cashier has no concept of judging age or it was her way of handing out free compliments.

Charlotte

When I used to do some bartending at local outdoor events I learned from the old guys how to prepare the young ladies' drinks.

Put the plastic cup(s) as close to me as possible and pour beer(s).

Make said halter-topped ladies reach as far across the bar as possible.

Enjoy!

A few years ago I bought a big bag of cat litter at the pet store. The store boy (all of 17 or 18 I guess) asked if he could help me carry it to my car. I said yes since I had a brace on my hand due to a thumb injury.

On the way to the car, he asked me why I had the brace. I explained I had done too much work with my thumbs at work and got tendonitis.

His response:

"Man, that'll probably happen to me someday when I get old. I play a lot of guitar."

I was only 35 at the time. :bat:

You should have broken both his thumbs. :bat:

The first time I was called mam...I looked around and realized they were talking to me. I thought I was gonna hurl...

...and that's been several years ago. :eek:

On no, I am now considered completely harmless.
When I encounter one of those 20-somethings, I give them my smile that says "I know how to do things that you had no idea would feel like that"... oops, did I say that out loud?

I was eating lunch alone recently and as the pretty young waitress brought my bill, she leaned over to me. I thought boy, she must have something to say that is awfully intimate. She said" I gave you the senior discount". :rolleyes:

Sweet deal!

Heh. I've just gotten to the point that when someone says "Mr. TickTock", I don't automatically look behind me for my father. I'm 40.

When I was young, in the grocery store I would get looked at by women and dismissed because I wasn't good-looking. I was also married and didn't dress well.
Mike D.

Did not even "notice" - much less "dismiss" if you weren't worth the glance! So, I think you had them pegged wrong (they WERE checking you out, but you probably had a ring because you were married - there are phases of adulthood and areas where those things do matter!) So, maybe you are/were hotter than you give yourself credit for! So many people think that since they are not dating someone, or heaven forbid, married, they are not considered "hot" - who are you to determine what someone else deems as HOT? (trust me, I'd love to wake up looking like Catherine Zeta Jones!!...she is what I'd consider HOT,) but there are people out there who think I am hot too! LOL! Hey, ya never know! :angel:

Now that's funny! Thanks for the laugh

When I used to do some bartending at local outdoor events I learned from the old guys how to prepare the young ladies' drinks.

Put the plastic cup(s) as close to me as possible and pour beer(s).

Make said halter-topped ladies reach as far across the bar as possible.

Enjoy!

When buying beer at the grocery store 2 weeks ago, I was carded (I'm in my late late 30's, and I think I look my age....) I hadn't been carded in probably 10 years or more. The cashier wasn't amused, though, when I said "Are you kidding?!?!".

Either the cashier has no concept of judging age or it was her way of handing out free compliments.

Charlotte

In many places, carding is mandatory. They no longer ask clerks to judge age but rather to card all, even those obviously way over 21. That's the way it is here in Illinois. DW loves it!

After surfing nineteen years ago (age 35), I went up to a hot dog stand in my wetsuit, and the young girl there said:

"Oh, you're surfing? Good for you!"

After surfing nineteen years ago (age 35), I went up to a hot dog stand in my wetsuit, and the young girl there said:
"Oh, you're surfing? Good for you!"
When our 15-year-old and I go surfing we've started getting the "Oh, that's your daughter?!? Riiiiight..." comments.

I think she thought of me as grandfatherly. (My hair is white...)

Mike D.

I was a career military officer, so I was used to being called "sir". A short while after I retired from the Navy, it occurred to me that since I wasn't wearing a uniform any more, nobody knew who/what I had been. So I was hit with the realization that younger people who called me "sir" were actually saying, "I think you're an old fart." (My hair is pretty gray, heading for white.)

So I was hit with the realization that younger people who called me "sir" were actually saying, "I think you're an old fart." (My hair is pretty gray, heading for white.)

This may not be true. I call every man sir, every woman M'am, if I don't know his/her name. It's like señor in Spanish, or Monsieur in French. I may just mean "I don't know you, and I respect you".

Same in the American South. A man is Sir, a woman M'am- even if they are 30 years old.

Ha

Here's a story you guys might want to file away for when you are REALLY old! My elderly (83) mother was at the local discount grocery store behind a frail man in his 90's. He paid for his groceries and then lingered while she paid for her few items. He asked her in a rather shaky voice if she would help him out to his car. Now my mother is very spry and very sassy and she flippantly asked him what his problem was. He told her that he had been ill recently and was afraid he would fall on the way out to the car. She asked the best way to help him and he said he had to put his arm around her waist and hold her hand. When they got to his car he said "Fooled you!" and grabbed her and kissed her on the cheek. He yelled "It works every time!". :)

This may not be true. I call every man sir, every woman M'am, if I don't know his/her name. It's like señor in Spanish, or Monsieur in French. I may just mean "I don't know you, and I respect you".

Same in the American South. A man is Sir, a woman M'am- even if they are 30 years old.

Ha

Ha's right, I was "M'am"ed to death before I was 30! I do miss that old term, "Miss", though.....or I'd even take "young lady" at this point...sigh

When we lived at the beach, DH once stopped to get beer at the local convenience store and a drunk young thing in a bikini came straight up to him and said "my friends left me, I'm drunk, and will you give me a ride back to the house that my sorority rented on front beach?" So of course he gave her a ride, made her put on her seatbelt in his minivan, and waved off the invite from a throng of equally scantily clad coeds to come in for a beer as thanks.
Bless his heart for being so harmless! He was crushed. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom