Entering the "dead zone" before ER

One thing I did during my last 2 years (my "glide path" described in a separate thread) was to focus more on mentoring or helping others get the glory. So when projects came up that I knew I could handle and would give worthwhile visibility across the organization, I let others lead them and took more of a mentoring/guidance role. Even though I was not showing up as frequently in various reports to management, there was enough word of month going around my co-workers that I knew it was appreciated.

I did have to head a very visible project at the end, after I had told them I was retiring. But rather that do enough, I completed it to a specific phase, and left enough material and documentation for the folks I was mentoring to take it over.

It was a much more relaxing way to work. The only problem it caused... about a month after retiring I was shocked to receive a large check from Megacorp, beyond my severance. My management chain rewarded me for the mentoring and guidance I had done. It really messed up my income projections, even with being retired half the year I am not going to make much less than I did last year, and some tax deductions/credits will not be available to me. Drat... :LOL:

So perhaps channel that top-producer energy into helping others get to your level, and it will be beneficial in the long run.

pYEQ1lr.png

Because of you... I got bored and created a small dashboard last night.

Top is a countdown of number days left (481) vs the day I decided I would try to fire. Then I determined my annual budget (green line)... compared to different income streams (blue: cash equivalents) (orange: pension/SS) (purple: low estimate of 401K/Roth)

I am @ 10 working days left in the office. I've been working only 25 hours per week since April, using FMLA and sick leave to assist my parents through various medical issues. But in Sept I will switch to continuous FMLA until my medical leave runs out in early Oct, and then let my boss know I won't be returning. We'd been FIRE for awhile but it wasn't until I started taking off early that I realized how ready I was. My wife says after being off work at noon each day she can't imagine me going to back to coming home late every evening like before.
But it has been hard to "maintain" these past months, and the next 10 working days will be full of mixed emotions. At 54, I'm at the top of my career and earnings, and realize I am turning a page that will never be turned back. My job tests every one of my skills and forces me to stay sharp, will informed and at the top of my game. I wonder what leaving it will do to those skills, and fear the thought of no longer being "The Man". But it comes with a price that no longer seems worth it.

I'm also at 10 days and counting. Since it's late on Monday, let's just say 9. I agree with "But it comes with a price that no longer seems worth it." I am fried and think it may take a while to decompress. I've left 2-3 weeks of vacation on the table the last 10+ years, which was stupid.

If I never look at another freakin' Power Point presentation, it will be too soon. Excel sucks too. :LOL:

Color me in the same zone, of indecision I'll call it. Yeah, I've always been hard charging, career gal, ask anyone whose ever known me. Now I hate to say it but I'm just collecting a few more paychecks to fund my country home remodel. Moving in earnest on that now, good hobby to occupy my mind. Work days crush my soul every single day. The ethos of my profession seem to have gone by the wayside for everyone, nearly everyone, around me at some point, which I apparently missed. It crushes me. So I've gotta go, and I'm set. But Ii don't want to spend my savings on my remodel, so I'm counting hours when I have to be in the office. There is some comfort in knowing I'm not alone. I am more than my career or my job. A good friend told me that once upon a time, and he's right. So are we all. Don't forget that your job has served you well, like a boat you take between shores. Once you're on the other side, you don't need to carry the boat anymore.(paraphrased from a financial independence book). Let go of the boat.

Back
Top Bottom