Ever regretted moving south?

I have lived in the southwest most of my adult life. I like to travel, so the AZ Desert heat is really just a reminder to hit the road for three months. I can travel two hours and be thirty degrees cooler in the north or keep on I 40 and had west to 101, ten head north and stop anywhere for a while and enjoy the place. There are always cheap filghts to new places. Find the map and throw a dart. Just keep moving and its all good. 8)

Thank you all for responding. We live up North and for years I enjoyed the winter and its activities. Now not so much (getting Old? -- according to the kids I'm already there :-\)

As I suspected, those who are South enjoy the freedom from the hassle and work of snow/sleet/ice etc. I'm sure in the next few years we'll be looking to set up, at least for the winter, in a less hostile enviroment.

Tio z

Would never go back to Buffalo ... except for a short summer visit ... and it would probably be cloudy and rain ... ;)

When / if you move south, also consider some less obvious choices ... the Carolinas, KY, TN, AL, NM come to mind. Home pricing and cost of living can be much more attractive.

Stay where you are! It is getting too crowded here in Georgia. Have you thought about western Canada? Way too many yankees here! Stay away :)

dex said:
Stay where you are! It is getting too crowded here in Georgia. Have you thought about western Canada? Way too many yankees here! Stay away :)

Dex,
How many months/weeks a year do you plan to be on the road in your RV?

DOG52 said:
Dex,
How many months/weeks a year do you plan to be on the road in your RV?

Dog,
If I were to total it up; I would estimate about 2 - 3 months a year. If I wasn't setting up my house I would be making my way down to Key West, Fla right now and then maybe up to South Carolina before going back to Atlanta.

From my recent trip out west I think I would limit my travels to the southeast and areas west and north of Texas. Of the RV parks I saw east of Texas they were a bit of a downer. They tended to be packed in, high priced and filled with workers who can't afford traditional appartments.

Also, on my list is Mexico but I would do that with a group of people for security and help with a breakdown along the way.

The RV life is a good one anyway you go. Some go with the Class A and with everything you have in an upscale house. I like the smaller ones for the ease of pulling and it is as close to camping as you can get without sleeping on the ground.

REWahoo! said:
So...something like this? ;)

Mr. Wahoo! You reminded me of our trip this winter. We'd both like to travel thru Texas in cognito. Right now DW is thinking Tex-Mex Queen Mum. I'm leaning towards Jethro-sexual. Any fashion ideas? ;)

Greg said:
We'd both like to travel thru Texas in cognito.

:confused: I thought you had a Lazy Daze?

Greg said:
Right now DW is thinking Tex-Mex Queen Mum. I'm leaning towards Jethro-sexual. Any fashion ideas? ;)

Hey, the election judge at my local polling place last week wore bib overalls and a
img_456441_0_90cbb58ecd20ccca4827294ffa7e95fe.gif
gimmiecap. I'm thinking what you wear isn't too important, but you might want to limit your conversations to "yep" and "nope" to prevent giving yourselves away.

And if your congnito has MN plates, you might want to slap some mud on them. Caint be to careful while travlin' thru these here parts, you know. ;)

Hmmm

Jimmy Buffett in winter:confused: Got my good shirts packed away - maybe a little mix and match - aloha shirt/cutoffs with a cowboy hat and boots - winter eclectic?

heh heh heh heh - plan to do the yawner - AL, FL, MS, LA for two weeks over the holidays - visiting.

REWahoo! said:
Hey, the election judge at my local polling place last week wore bib overalls and a
img_456459_0_90cbb58ecd20ccca4827294ffa7e95fe.gif
gimmiecap.

Bib overalls? :LOL: We won't wear no stinkin bib overalls. I was thinkin of sumpthin between them and no pants. Something subtler but not too cognito. We want to be seen but not too seen. The mud on the license plates was a good idea and the hat. Any other fashion suggestions? Are you folks still voting down there?

Guess what? Wearing shorts today. :D Last Saturday, golf course closed and greens covered. You gotta love MS weather. 8)

I was born and brought up in the Boston, Cape Cod area and knew well what winter was about. I lived for a while in northern europe and when they have a bad winter even the Rhine river freezes over. I then lived for twenty years in southern AZ. Winter in So. AZ is okay a little snow now and then usually stays on the mountians and leaves the rest alone. It is the heat from April to November that gets you, day after day of heat it gets hot by 9am and stays hot till 9pm. I didn't care for it that much.

Then I moved to Virginia snow, rain and ice in the winter and heat and humidity in the summer. Now I live in Kentucky, snow and wet in the winter, heat and wet in the summer usually not extreem in either case, but there are days when it is to cold or to hot.

I guess there are good and bad conditions no matter where you go. Of course I will only spend about $200 on heating this old farm house again this year and that includes the fuel for the chain saw :)

Kitty

Hmmm

26 yrs - PacNW front range between Portland/Seattle
4yrs Denver
2 yrs Huntsville Alabama
30 yrs New Orleans
1 yr Saint Jo MO aka greater Kansas City

Alabama was good but Missouri is growing on me.

heh heh heh heh heh

Greg said:
Bib overalls? :LOL: We won't wear no stinkin bib overalls. I was thinkin of sumpthin between them and no pants. Something subtler but not too cognito. We want to be seen but not too seen. The mud on the license plates was a good idea and the hat. Any other fashion suggestions? Are you folks still voting down there?

I think black leather chaps, a codpiece, cowboy hat, and boots would probably be just right...

brewer12345 said:
I think black leather chaps, a codpiece, cowboy hat, and boots would probably be just right...

Ah hem - in the course of thirty years - I may have see that outfit a few times before - after midnight in the French Quarter. Of course the memory and vision were blurred somewhat by the usual New Orleans refreshments at the time.

heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
Ah hem - in the course of thirty years - I may have see that outfit a few times before - after midnight in the French Quarter. Of course the memory and vision were blurred somewhat by the usual New Orleans refreshments at the time.

heh heh heh

I've seen it in Greenwich Village and the Lower East Side and Chelsea and...

UM, if my SIL end up doing her residency in Kansas City (not sure how likely that is), I will have to pick your brain for where to go and where not to go. And myabe I will send her over to confirm that you really area 16 year old girl.

REWahoo! said:
Wear that and you'll likely be 'requested' to sing and dance: "Y - M - C - A"....

It's Sunday, so I need to be nice :D . Interesting suggestions, and it's sort of amazing how many ways 'Jethro' can be taken. I've decided on wearing my old K-Mart pajama bottoms (loose, thin, and breezy too), a clean T-shirt (for the Queen Mum), flip-flops, and, of course, a baseball cap.. Hopefully this won't draw too much attention in Texas? But I'll do a Paris Hilton pout while doing the gas fill-ups.

Wahoo: We actually will be wandering thru So. Texas a bit, both to see sights and also scouting for a wintering place for more permanent visits. Do you still recommend E. Texas? I can't stand heavy traffic. Maybe PM me?

Greg said:
It's Sunday, so I need to be nice :D . I've decided on wearing my old K-Mart pajama bottoms (loose, thin, and breezy too), a clean T-shirt (for the Queen Mum), flip-flops, and, of course, a baseball cap.. Hopefully this won't draw too much attention in Texas?
You'll fit right in in Austin!

Audrey

No; it made DW/my retirement "destination" decision easier.

Stationed in "LA" (lower Alabama - AKA Ft. Walton Beach, Florida) in '69-'71.

My wife hated the heat, the bugs, and a whole lot of other things (think "chain gangs" working on the side of the road... :eek: )

That being that we are both from the N.E. we enjoy the change of seasons (including the occasional ice/snow storm), and being that we will be retiring in '07 (and have a cozy fireplace to keep warm) we don't have a "hankering" to go south for retirement.

Of course, we may spend a few weeks during a "winter break" (e.g. condo) but we will not relocate, nor have two homes.

Different strokes - different folks....

- Ron

Back
Top Bottom