Evidence warmer temperatures slows coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, on the 9th we had 0 cases here in Louisiana.

Every day since the 9th, it has been over 80 degrees. Maybe one day in the high 70's.

Now, on the 19th, ten days after having 0 cases, we now have 347 cases and 8 deaths. Like everywhere, the schools and most stores and businesses are closed and we are all staying indoors.

So, some might say that for Louisiana, the idea of depending on warm temperatures to improve the situation just might possibly be whistling in the dark:confused: At least, I am not expecting the summertime weather to help much.

IIRC, on the 9th we had 0 cases here in Louisiana.

Every day since the 9th, it has been over 80 degrees. Maybe one day in the high 70's.

Now, on the 19th, ten days after having 0 cases, we now have 347 cases and 8 deaths. Like everywhere, the schools and most stores and businesses are closed and we are all staying indoors.

So, some might say that for Louisiana, the idea of depending on warm temperatures to improve the situation just might possibly be whistling in the dark:confused: At least, I am not expecting the summertime weather to help much.

Well, if people infect each other in the comfort of dry air-conditioned restaurants or bars, instead of out on the hot and humid sidewalks, then it's not the same environment. :)

Last edited:
Given the lack of testing, it would would be more accurate to say that ten days ago, LA had zero detected cases and now has 347 detected cases. A fair number of them probably existed ten days ago. We just didn't know it.

Presence of old people makes up for absence of cold?

Its not that old people catch or are carriers any more than any other age group. The death rate is higher if they do.

Well, if people infect each other in the comfort of dry air-conditioned restaurants or bars, instead of out on the hot and humid sidewalks, then it's not the same environment. :)

That's why I don't think the weather makes the slightest bit of difference in the spread of coronavirus. We're all sitting inside our homes, self isolating, so what difference does it make whether it's summer or winter. It's all just whistling in the dark. "Don't panic, folks! Summer is coming!"

Given the lack of testing, it would would be more accurate to say that ten days ago, LA had zero detected cases and now has 347 detected cases. A fair number of them probably existed ten days ago. We just didn't know it.

Well yeah, and for all we know maybe everyone in the country was infected a long time ago. Honestly I don't think we know any reliable facts about this virus yet. It's too soon for any reliable, rigorous studies to have been completed. Meanwhile, we just whistle in the dark.

Well yeah, and for all we know maybe everyone in the country was infected a long time ago. Honestly I don't think we know any reliable facts about this virus yet. It's too soon for any reliable, rigorous studies to have been completed. Meanwhile, we just whistle in the dark.

I don't know how to whistle.:D

That's why I don't think the weather makes the slightest bit of difference in the spread of coronavirus. We're all sitting inside our homes, self isolating, so what difference does it make whether it's summer or winter. It's all just whistling in the dark. "Don't panic, folks! Summer is coming!"

Easy. If temperature really has an effect, we can turn off the AC, and open all windows and doors in restaurants and bars. We spend less on energy, save the earth, in addition to saving ourselves.

Last edited:

Until we know more about this virus, I have been watching the number of people hospitalized. Too many beds taken up, then it's not good. When they put patients on cots in tents out in the parking lot, I do not like it.

We have experienced near-record highs in the upper 80's here in Florida the past week or two. The Corona virus in Florida surged to over 300 today and appears to be doubling every 2 to 3 days. This has vaulted Florida into fifth place in the US, ahead of several states that started before us, and will almost surely continue to grow at one of the fastest rates in the US. Time to hunker down folks.

I read an article about how seniors living in The Villages were not scared of the virus. A poll purportedly said that a majority of them believed it was blown out of proportion. An interviewee said she was not afraid of a quarantine on the ship.

“For me, that would’ve just extended my vacation,” she said. “As long as someone was feeding me and changing my bed, I would be fine.” She said she thinks the ships are sanitized and safe.

“There’s no reason we can’t go,” she said. “People are too worried. The flu has killed more people than the coronavirus, and people haven’t been as concerned over the flu.”

Of course she was wrong about the cabin service being continued, and that the meals were going to be as normal.

Another 70-year-old man said

“We’re bolder, not older. Time to be mindful. Take a deep breath and enjoy life. We worked many decades to now have the privilege of being older. … Yep, I have a pacemaker and recent fusion; however my love for quality of life is more important to me than being rattled by a TV station.”

Given that there may be more international travelers among seniors than the general population, I wonder how many cases have been confirmed there. If the cases multiply, at what point will the seniors change their attitude?

I read an article about how seniors living in The Villages were not scared of the virus. A poll purportedly said that a majority of them believed it was blown out of proportion. An interviewee said she was not afraid of a quarantine on the ship.

Of course she was wrong about the cabin service being continued, and that the meals were going to be as normal.

Another 70-year-old man said

Given that there may be more international travelers among seniors than the general population, I wonder how many cases have been confirmed there. If the cases multiply, at what point will the seniors change their attitude?

Look at the makeup of the Villages and you have your answer and I am not talking about the makeup of elderly population.

Study of temperature effect on COVID-19: https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/new-study-says-high-temperature-and-high-relative-humidity-significantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418

“High temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19.” An increase of just one degree Celsius and 1% relative humidity increase substantially lower the virus’s transmission, according to the data analyzed by the researchers.

Actual study: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

and from the paper itself:
One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in
relative humidity lower R by 0.0383 and 0.0224, respectively.

I haven't finished reading it (this COVID-19 never ending news is keeping me from my grading), so FWIW.

So let's hope for global warming (hot and humid).

I don't know if the increased UV available by being in FL (90s for the last few days) will make a difference, but when I went to the grocery store I found a cart that had been sitting out in the far reaches of the parking lot, obviously for quite a while, and took it into the store. What the heck, maybe it helps, and the walk certainly doesn't do me any harm. But I still wiped it down,

I'm left unconvinced. Just reading the abstract (can't see the whole paper), it's just a correlation. Cities in China, some warmer and wetter, didn't have quite the spread. You think if it was raining, hot and humid maybe fewer people went outside? That would explain it as well as the virus being less transmissible in hot and wet. And it goes against research that the virus lasts shorter duration on surfaces if it's less humid.

I hope it's true that the virus will slow down in the summer, but this doesn't convince me.

Not touching that one with the proverbial 10 ft pole.:D
Bacall wasn't a 10' Pole, but she was a 5' 7" New Yorker.

Last edited:
I'm left unconvinced. Just reading the abstract (can't see the whole paper), it's just a correlation. Cities in China, some warmer and wetter, didn't have quite the spread. You think if it was raining, hot and humid maybe fewer people went outside? That would explain it as well as the virus being less transmissible in hot and wet. And it goes against research that the virus lasts shorter duration on surfaces if it's less humid.

I hope it's true that the virus will slow down in the summer, but this doesn't convince me.

We have beach goers testing this theory in FL and CA right now. Need to wait a couple of weeks to see results. :)

There is another aspect to tropical countries that has to be considered. Most of those countries do not touch each other physically when they greet. So a virus can't jump from host to host as easily as they can in European countries where physical contact is customary.

There is another aspect to tropical countries that has to be considered. Most of those countries do not touch each other physically when they greet. So a virus can't jump from host to host as easily as they can in European countries where physical contact is customary.

fish slapping should the the appropriate way of greeting, as per Monty Python

Resurrecting this old thread as there is growing evidence warmer weather slows the spread of Covid 19:

California was hit with the coronavirus emergency before New York, New Jersey and Chicago. But still, the Golden State has fared -- by every measure -- far better than colder places like the Big Apple.

The total cases of COVID-19 in California stands at just one-fifth of that in New York State. And California has recorded 10% of the deaths.

It’s not just California. Texas has also seen a coronavirus problem nowhere near as widespread or as deadly as New York. Neither has Florida. All four states have enormous populations, they all have densely packed urban centers and they boast international hub airports.

“For every increase in heat of 1 degree Celsius (the equivalent of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit), we are seeing about 2% decline in transmission,” public-health expert Ali Mokdad, the chief strategy officer for population health at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, told ABC News.

Researchers think temperature plays a role in virus spreading less aggressively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom