Factors that affect Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of these hasty studies need to be taken with a grain of salt. It will be years until we have some definitive studies.

I consulted my doctor via email about my own risk factors and my doctor suggested the following:

There are nothing you can do about most risk factors. He suggested that I assume that I am a high risk because people who believed that they are low risk become complacent and catch the virus. It is like Russian Roulette because it is difficult to predict what the outcome will be after you catch the virus.

He did recommend that I boost my immune system as follows: Eat a balanced diet, exercise, sleep well, achieve an optimal weight, take multiple vitamin tablets (A, B12, C, E and K are known to boost immune systems), quit smoking, avoid a sedimentary life style and stop worrying about COVID19.

I am a retired Environmental Engineer and I personally believed that most transmission occur in-doors in confined spaces such as Cruise Ships, Nursing homes, and public indoor areas with a large number of people.

If you ever watched a football game in the winter, you can observe a white vapor exiting their mouths as they exhale. Masks are not 100% effective and there is significant more risk indoors because the wind do not dissipates the virus. If I see a store with lots of people inside, I never enter that store.

I consulted my doctor via email about my own risk factors and my doctor suggested the following:

There are nothing you can do about most risk factors. He suggested that I assume that I am a high risk because people who believed that they are low risk become complacent and catch the virus. It is like Russian Roulette because it is difficult to predict what the outcome will be after you catch the virus.

He did recommend that I boost my immune system as follows: Eat a balanced diet, exercise, sleep well, achieve an optimal weight, take multiple vitamin tablets (A, B12, C, E and K are known to boost immune systems), quit smoking, avoid a sedimentary life style and stop worrying about COVID19.

I am a retired Environmental Engineer and I personally believed that most transmission occur in-doors in confined spaces such as Cruise Ships, Nursing homes, and public indoor areas with a large number of people.

If you ever watched a football game in the winter, you can observe a white vapor exiting their mouths as they exhale. Masks are not 100% effective and there is significant more risk indoors because the wind do not dissipates the virus. If I see a store with lots of people inside, I never enter that store.

I agree.

At least, this is something that's preventable to a great degree, unlike natural disasters like earthquakes and tornadoes. It will take some patience and diligence, but as long as we avoid high-risk activities, there's a very good chance that we'll come out on the other side fine. Building up the immune system is probably a good idea as well. Right now, I'm practicing minimal exposure to other people indoors, although I do go to grocery stores. I meet with friends in small groups outdoors by social distancing. I wear a mask and goggles even in that outdoor situation (Nobody else does, but that's OK.) We have had zero infections in our region (in Ontario, Canada) for the last few days and the numbers here have been very good (active numbers are very low), but I watch a lot of US news, so I am more paranoid than most.

My doctor friend told me to just assume everyone I come in contact with has Covid-19 and act accordingly. I am doing just that with the exception of DH--he has not been anywhere so I am assuming he does not have Covid-19 at this time and I am not wearing a mask inside my own house.

Sedimentary life styles rock! :)
I have heard that they are very high pressure though.

And to add that AFAIK there is no good evidence that taking any vitamin supplement boosts ones immunity above what one would get from eating a good balanced diet. And as always, there is good evidence that several vitamins and vitamin supplements have been shown to be harmful. But as usual, do what you want, you will do it anyway.

I've been hearing how the Hispanic, Inuit, and Native American communities are more impacted by Covid-19. I'm wondering if it could be genetic in addition to environmental. I know my grandkids with a Hispanic father (Mexican Indian not Mexican Spanish) can't tolerate certain foods. I used to think it was odd how they love ice cream but never eat more than 1 scoop, don't drink cows milk, don't like cheese. Their brother with a Nigerian father eats a lot of ice cream and all kinds of cheese. So it's not my daughter (Korean)

Certain populations are way more susceptible to diabetes than others, and that includes Native Americans and many Hispanics. So of course there are some genetic factors in play with Covid-19, but I bet many factors are socioeconomic and cultural as well. There are many people who have no choice but to work in jobs where they can’t self-isolate, and are dependent on public transportation. There are many people who live in multi-generational or crowded housing.

Is the thinking still that men are at a higher risk for Covid than women? Is it life style (men smoking more for example) or is it biologic --maybe related to hormones?

Of course this is anecdotal but I know about 10 people who have tested positive for Covid and 8 of the 10 are men, including 2 men who died of Covid.

Last edited:
Is the thinking still that men are at a higher risk for Covid than women? Is it life style (men smoking more for example) or is it biologic --maybe related to hormones?

Of course this is anecdotal but I know about 10 people who have tested positive for Covid and 8 of the 10 are men, including 2 men who died of Covid.

This is going to be one of the interesting things to study when we finally have good data. Beyond "race" and gender, all kinds of theories have been proposed which might impact susceptibility to this virus. Height (mentioned above), blood type, even eye and hair color have been implicated in studies, along with some other specific genetic markers.

Then there's also the possibility that the biggest factors are (1) how many people you're in close contact with at home and at work, and (2) how seriously you take the recommended precautions, like masks and distancing.

I can tell you that anecdotally, among the people I know, gender seems to heavily influence (2). I would imagine where one lives, in a crowded apartment in the city vs. a rural, single-family home, also makes a huge difference for (1). And that ties back to socio-economic factors and so, sad to say, race.

Lots of numbers to crunch when this is all over!

I can tell you that anecdotally, among the people I know, gender seems to heavily influence (2). I would imagine where one lives, in a crowded apartment in the city vs. a rural, single-family home, also makes a huge difference for (1). And that ties back to socio-economic factors and so, sad to say, race.

Perhaps it is less about socioeconomic factors and perhaps more density. There are very poor folks in rural areas but they are spread out. There are very wealthy people living in dense areas of cities.

I will also throw in 2 other things:

1) Preventative health measures. The better off your are (or the better health care you are), the more likely you are going to take preventative health measures (e.g. going for regular annual checkups, or going to a doctor early in an illness). The more ones pursues, or can pursue, preventative health, the more likely underlying health issues that make one more susceptible to this (and other) viruses can be detected (and addressed) , and/or allow one to build up the immunity system where these things can have a lesser impact.

2) Group eating characteristics. Many folks will avoid buffet restaurants. But how many friends/family groups get together for buffet/pot luck meals, talking over and around the folks, sharing food, sometimes eating off each other plates, using the same plate and utensils to get seconds, etc. - all of which can give one greater exposure to the virus.

Healthline gives a couple of reasons:
  • Experts say part of the reason is women tend to have stronger immune systems than men.
  • They add that men also tend to engage in more risky behavior such as ignoring physical distancing, and they don’t take symptoms as seriously.
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/men-more-susceptible-to-serious-covid-19-illnesses

Certain populations are way more susceptible to diabetes than others, and that includes Native Americans and many Hispanics. So of course there are some genetic factors in play with Covid-19, but I bet many factors are socioeconomic and cultural as well. There are many people who have no choice but to work in jobs where they can’t self-isolate, and are dependent on public transportation. There are many people who live in multi-generational or crowded housing.

In Sonoma county (which is a wine growing region) it was reported that 70% of the cases are Hispanic. I think you are right that much of this outbreak is socioeconomic. Many of these folks have to work and come home to large sometimes cramped households.

If you look at the outbreak map for California you will see that the central valley has some of the highest per capita case rates. See here going down the southern central part of the state where much of the agricultural work is:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/california-coronavirus-cases.html

Many of our tough construction jobs are accomplished by the Hispanic population. They typically have to share vehicles to the job site. And off job, many share housing.

It is a recipe for spread, and a hard one to overcome.

In Sonoma county (which is a wine growing region) it was reported that 70% of the cases are Hispanic. I think you are right that much of this outbreak is socioeconomic. Many of these folks have to work and come home to large sometimes cramped households.

If you look at the outbreak map for California you will see that the central valley has some of the highest per capita case rates. See here going down the southern central part of the state where much of the agricultural work is:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/california-coronavirus-cases.html

There was (and still is?) a huge outbreak in Yakima county in Washington which is a major agricultural area in particular wine/grapes and other fruits. So seeing the same thing.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...nity-spread-increasingly-drives-the-pandemic/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom