Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I've been hit with this already this year. If I could sell my car for even half the county assessment, I'd be stunned.

Do you have an appeals process? I have seen situations where multiple people have appealed unrealistic RE assessments and it has been successful. I assume the "assessors" go for a "big" increase (in this case, temporarily inflated car values) and wait to see if folks complain. So, complain! :)

Do you have an appeals process? I have seen situations where multiple people have appealed unrealistic RE assessments and it has been successful. I assume the "assessors" go for a "big" increase (in this case, temporarily inflated car values) and wait to see if folks complain. So, complain! :)

I appealed our property taxes years ago. It went to court and I won! Even so, it was a ton of work and I’m not sure I’d do it again unless the dollars saved were really significant.

I have to appeal every year and it is mostly simple online and successful

Our plan was $77 for 2 lines, so $12 is a bit over 15%. The price has been falling for a number of years, so it’s difficult to average out the $12, but it’s a big increpase and there are options. Consumer Cell is one, T Mobile another. I’ll start looking at options over the next couple of days.

Mine just went from $174.39 to $181.75 for 4 phones. I 'guess' I should feel lucky.

Local barber shop just raised their price from $15 to $20, a 33.3% increase.

For those of you that have this tax on vehicles, boats, trailers, etc. be prepared. Our county tax assessor is a neighbor, and warned we will be a little surprised when the tax bill comes. It is based on the assessed value of these vehicles, and those values have gone up significantly (as we all know), so the tax man will come looking.

In fairness to him, he and his office are bound by the formulas in the law. But he expects a LOT of flack.

Yeah, our RE taxes increased 10% this year ($330k value), but I think that is for a 3 year period before it can be reassessed. I'll take it as Zillow says we are sitting on another $110k in value, which is probably short of market value too based on sales recently. It pays to have the smaller footprint in the neighborhood.

Thankfully other personal property is not taxed. On the other side of the coin, I filled up @ $4.11 the other day... Sad this is a good thing. At least I am down to 1 tank/mo.

Last edited:
Pretty much same here. Paid $850 in 2009 and new gas water heater installed in May was $2,000.

Well that's three of us in the same company, with similar prices. We can all have a pity party.

I'm a handy guy and could have done this work myself. However, in the event we have to sell, I'd rather advertise this was done by a licensed company (I actually had the gas utility do it). People get nervous and freak out over gas work.

My luck will be we have to sell during a downturn and every single thing on the house will be nit-picked, unlike today's anything goes madness.

Our property tax is in the appeal process right now. Our assesed value is going up 24% and that is rediculous. I won't know the outcome but I'll fight it as high as I can. Where we lived before buying here I had the same thing happen one year and it was simpler to correct. When I went to the appraiser and he told me that they had it listed as a 3bed 2bath and we had 4 bed 2 bath, since it was oviously a 2 story house. No it wasn't a 2 story it just had a high roof pitch with a high attic space. here they have us listed as a 3-2 with 2 acres, we are on a 1 acre lot and 1/2 of that is inaccesable because of a large drainage ditch on 1 side that curves around in back of the woods to the culvert under the interstate,so it cant be developed at all because of access.

Maltese have bad teeth and are supposed to have yearly dentals. 18 months ago I paid 360 if they didn’t have teeth pulled. Now the base price is 600. They usually need teeth pulled so it’s averaging 1k. I now do it every 18 months. The last time I had Amy there they mentioned it had only been 6 months but that she needed her teeth cleaned again. My response was to laugh. Once a year they remove my dental implant denture to clean underneath and replace all the screws. It used to be 350 and last year it was 770. Ugh!

One interesting thing I've noticed that hasn't gone up in price is the wine I buy online. From what I can tell, prices are essentially identical (for the bottles I buy, in the $10-$20 range) to what they were one year ago.

Once a year they remove my dental implant denture to clean underneath and replace all the screws. It used to be 350 and last year it was 770. Ugh!

TT, I fully understand the dog/teeth issues as we have the same going on here in Texas (gouging), but I can't get my head around the fact that you have to have your implant removed and cleaned underneath. I have three implants and my dentist and dental surgeon have never mentioned removal for any reason.

I dunno about making bread, but my wife does. It turns out that you don't save that much money with bread. I guess the stores buy flour in bulk, plus they make a lot in their big oven and that's more efficient.

Homemade bread may not be cheap, but it’s very tasty and healthy. We (mostly my wife) have been making ours at home for years. In the past couple years, we’ve been using a sourdough starter rather than yeast. The bread is excellent.

Last edited:
Homemade bread may not be cheap, but is very tasty and healthy.

Far too much so!
I'm basically low carb, but every once in a while I get an irresistible urge to make some sourdough bread. I figure if I put enough butter on it I can cancel out the carbs! :angel:

I have never tried the 15 yr, I do buy a bottle of the 12yr Glenlivit and that was about $40 and that was nearly 3 years ago. $40 is a splurge buy for me. LOL! The $17 to $22 Scotch like Teachers and Famous Grouse are always on my shelf. So far not much inflation as those can still be found in my area near that same price point

Scotch prices have thankfully been stable. Beer’s gotten more expensive. Total Wine still sells 1.75 L of Grouse for around $28, and Dewar’s is just over $30. I usually only buy malts in duty free stores while traveling internationally, but there hasn’t been any of that since Jan 20. Guess I’ll just have to BTD locally.

TT, I fully understand the dog/teeth issues as we have the same going on here in Texas (gouging), but I can't get my head around the fact that you have to have your implant removed and cleaned underneath. I have three implants and my dentist and dental surgeon have never mentioned removal for any reason.

I have a implant denture so no teeth on the bottom at all. I am sure you have individual implants.

One interesting thing I've noticed that hasn't gone up in price is the wine I buy online. From what I can tell, prices are essentially identical (for the bottles I buy, in the $10-$20 range) to what they were one year ago.

The coming Spotted Lanternhly infestation will rock the wine world regardless of any other factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_lanternfly

Well, I was shocked at the cost increase in weed killer (generic branded 41% glyphosphate concentrate, aka Round Up). I last bought a 2.5 gal jug for $50 few years ago. Now it is $100 for the same thing. That's 100% increase in cost. Guess they have to pay for all those lawsuits the ambulance chaser lawyers advertise on TV for plaintiffs.

I use it along my fence line, all 740 ft of it, plus lot of other areas around the house. The big 2.5 gal jug and the 41% strength lasts a good long time when mixing up 2 gal pump sprayer at a time.

Noticed prices are down at the local grocery stores today, and gas has dropped by $0.69c per gal.

Gas is down 4 cents here from the peak of $5.29.

But grocery prices keep going up, as recent as my last visit a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom