Examples of current inflation - add yours!

The bleach in the original photo in my first post is $4.12 (81 ounces). For an 81 ounce jug works out to be $6.51 per gallon! (hey, that's more than gasoline and diesel!):facepalm:

The higher food prices should make it a little easier to lose some weight. May have to increase my peanut butter consumption. Cheaper than steak. Had an aunt that lived to 97 on lots of peanut butter sandwiches.

The bleach in the original photo in my first post is $4.12 (81 ounces). For an 81 ounce jug works out to be $6.51 per gallon! (hey, that's more than gasoline and diesel!):facepalm:

Say it isn't so! The drag racers not only have to pay more for fuel but now they have to pay more for their burn-out bleach. When will it end??:(

A dozen eggs (extra large, not jumbo) cost around $1.79 last year... last week (at the same store) they were $3.55. I was stunned.

The higher food prices should make it a little easier to lose some weight. May have to increase my peanut butter consumption. Cheaper than steak. Had an aunt that lived to 97 on lots of peanut butter sandwiches.

My mom is 92 and eats a peanut butter sandwich for lunch just about everyday.
Because that’s what she likes. She can afford to eat basically whatever she wants.

Regarding the original question: I saw regional brand-name ice-cream for $5. Seemed kinda high compared to what I'd paid this time last Sept. at same store. THEN I noticed the box and it was a "miniature" of its previous box. So for perhaps 15% less they were charging more than 20% more. Fortunately, I'm willing to eat off-brand ice-cream. Found some for half the price and, miracle of miracles, it was the same size as last year. Yum!

They’ve been doing this to ice cream for years.
A container went from 16 servings to 14 and now I think it’s 12. All while raising the price.
The serving size game is just ridiculous. In my house ice cream went from 4 servings to 3. [emoji38]

They’ve been doing this to ice cream for years.
A container went from 16 servings to 14 and now I think it’s 12. All while raising the price.
The serving size game is just ridiculous. In my house ice cream went from 4 servings to 3. [emoji38]

Heh, heh, I must have a bigger spoon than you do.:LOL: The last serving is always out of the box. Back in the day, the cat actually got the very last of the box.

Every corporate kleptomaniac that can is raising prices. I guess it is a good time to own stock as hopefully they will pass on the excess profits to shareholders. Don't get me started on airlines and rental car companies after all the cash the government rained down on them.

Corporations are always trying to get as much as they can. However they wouldn't be this successful if they hadn't have been enabled by the politicians and the Fed with their monetary diarrhea. Blaming the stores and the companies that own them is blaming the people that deliver the inflation instead of those who manufactured it in Washington.

Last edited:
Corporations are always trying to get as much as they can. However they wouldn't be this successful if they hadn't have been enabled by the politicians and the Fed with their monetary diarrhea. Blaming the stores and the companies that own them is blaming the people that deliver the inflation instead of those who manufactured it in Washington.
:LOL: I know. It is like all those rotten people that carry wallets and purses just to lure muggers into crime.

Heh, heh, I must have a bigger spoon than you do.:LOL: The last serving is always out of the box. Back in the day, the cat actually got the very last of the box.

I call it cleaning out the freezer. Someone has to do it.
Back in the day my dog always assisted with the clean up. [emoji23]

A big goal for our retirement has been to reduce our spending / dependence on corporations as much as possible. The less we have to spend to have a good life the less we are subject to inflation and corporate price gouging.

Distilled water. It was $0.95 or if you bought three, it was $0.79 each. Then the shelves were empty. When it can back it was 2/$3. But I found it at Lowes for $0.89.

Not groceries. But Chevron stock had an all time high of $129/share before this year. It is now trading at $177.60. When gas prices go up, so do profits and oil stock prices.

I like to buy the 2 pound bags of unsalted roasted peanuts in the shell. They were $2.99 per bag last year. The last time I checked, they were $3.29. The other staple of mine is craft beer. I never buy it at full price, since it has been overpriced for about 10 years. I only ever buy it on sale. My beer store still has its great sales of good craft stuff for $19.99 a case every so often, and I stock up the basement. Thank goodness for these sales. Otherwise I'd be drinking the mass produced stuff, which is OK, but not great. I can afford to pay full price for craft beer, but I just won't do it.

I have a mental block about the price of beer ever since I went to Las Vegas in the 1970's, ordered a bottle of beer at a swanky hotel bar, and got billed $1!!! (Six packs were maybe $1.29 at the time.) Now, I don't want to spend more than $1 for a bottle or can. Yet, the better - not the greatest - beers are often $1.20 to over $2 a can. (We have a very high alcohol tax in my home state.) A good micro brew can easily be $4-6 a bottle. Good grief!

I used to buy a local brew that was really good for about 95¢ a can. But that is now over $1.20. The other day I found Stella Artois for about a $1.08 a bottle at Costco. I jumped on it and now have my supply of summer beer.

Last edited:
Every corporate kleptomaniac that can is raising prices. I guess it is a good time to own stock as hopefully they will pass on the excess profits to shareholders. Don't get me started on airlines and rental car companies after all the cash the government rained down on them.

PPI is rising faster than CPI. Margins are compressing not expanding. See target and Walmarts earnings for more

Went to Sam's yesterday. The $7+ for 5 avocados finally went back below $7...except that they went to 4 ct... Really getting irritated when they try to sneak things in on me.

Aldi's Ice cream is $1.97 for 1.5 liters, that has not changed.

Yep, that's where we try to shop but it's quite a drive so we plan for it with a list - until one of us gets a hankering for ice cream after Aldi closes. Aldi is one of the things we really miss when we go back home. YMMV

Sometimes I'll get half-pound block cheese from Aldi, in varying flavors (Swiss, Mozzarella, Sharp Cheddar, etc). For the longest time, it seemed like they were around $1.49, although every once in awhile, some flavors were $1.69. Last time I went to the store, they were all $1.89.

Still pretty cheap, but just going from $1.69 to $1.89 is an 11.8% jump. Their chocolate milk would usually run around $1.49-1.59 for a half-gal. Now I'm seeing $1.89-$2.09.

The swimming pool company used to charge $95/week to come service the pool, one little luxury I afforded myself. In their defense, they did not raise prices in 2021, over 2020. And they were about the same price as the company I used in 2019. But, this year, they jumped to $115/week. Worse, they're short-staffed, so they've missed two weeks in a row! They refunded me for the first week, and on Monday I'm going to hit them up for another refund for last week.

Part of me does want to get mad, with the pool company. But, they did lose a technician, and with the labor shortage, I'm sure if I tried to find another company, I could run into the same problem, or worse!

And then there is this: 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV To Get $6,300 Price Drop

The 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV has received a $6,300 price drop, bringing the price of the battery-electric crossover in the base 1LT trim level below $30,000.

The 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV in the 1LT trim will be priced from $28,195, down from last year’s MSRP of $34,495. The Premier trim level, meanwhile, will now be priced from $32,695, down from $38,995.

Fire sale! :)

I top off my fuel every single time I leave the house. Of course, we live in the country, so it's at least 15 miles round trip. I was going to an ARCO station for my truck's diesel fuel. On Wednesday last week it was $6.49 a gallon and holding. Thursday it was $6.99 a gallon. WTF?! I got pissed and drove around looking for cheaper diesel. Guess what? Yup, went back to ARCO. They were the cheapest. Say Bu-bye to $6 diesel in California I guess.
My opinion is that fuel costs in California will never really go down to anywhere near what it was prior to 2020.
Something that amazes me is that I do not notice a reduction in traffic or speeds. Everyone is still out there driving as if this is no big deal and at speeds where they obviously don't care to drive to conserve fuel.

Back
Top Bottom