Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I have not travelled by air much in the past couple years so not entirely sure when this increase happened. I purchased a turkey sandwich at the Austin airport and was a little shocked when the cashier rang up $17.69. No drink or chips, just a regular sandwich.

I could afford any food in the airport, I suppose, but DW and I always pack our own food for air travel. My personal favorite is peanut butter and bacon on whole wheat.

Unfortunately, my Diet Pepsi addiction means I'm gonna have to spring for at least one $3.50 drink at every airport we go through. Bummer!:mad:

At Aldi today, 1 dozen eggs up to $3.44 per dozen. They were $1.98 just a couple of weeks ago.

Lidl had a dozen large eggs for $2.12 yesterday. They went way up and disappeared for a while.

I just paid $3.89 for 18 brown eggs. I bought the brown eggs because they were the cheapest cost per egg. It is unusual that the brown eggs were the bargain, but who am I to argue?

There are many places jumping on the bandwagon. Now that the press has imbedded big inflation numbers on the masses, gouging is now taking off. People fail to realize the headline 12 month inflation rate is a rollling average and not the current situation. It will only reverse when people quit spending. This appeals to the miserly side of me. However it doesn't help with insurance, healthcare, food or the thieves at the marina that have my boat held hostage.

Yeah, I finally have a contrary example. My Consumer Cellular bill went down $5 per month.

This one surprised me. I buy vanilla wafers once a year for a Christmas treat that I make. They are usually a trivial price, just over a dollar for generics and maybe $2.50 for Nilla brand. They used to be 12oz. Now the box is 11oz and the generics at Walmart are $2.49 and Nilla is $4.59! Really? There's not much in a vanilla wafer. How could they cost that much?!

Yeah, what's with this Avian flu once every 12 months?

I suspect Avian flu is not only wiping out millions of birds, but also a lot of smaller egg producers. Once this shakes out, it wouldn't surprise me if egg prices remain high due to consolidation. I knew a young couple who got into egg production in the late 70s and had to destroy all their birds due to some disease. They ended up losing everything. With the way eggs are produced, I'm surprised epidemics aren't more common but YMMV.

Marilyn 'Merlot'

In 2004, I saw a limited edition Marilyn Monroe bottle of wine at a local liquor store.

Features the famous "Red Velvet" nude photo of Marilyn Monroe on a peek-a-boo label, a 1st for the wine industry. The movie star's figure is partially covered with iridescent sparkles; to see all of her, you simply peel away the overlay.

Had to have it as a novelty item if nothing else. Paid $225. Checked the price every year or so. Didn't seem to move at all. I'm guessing I last checked about 7 years ago ?……..about the same.

Checked again Friday & was pleasantly surprised.

Inflation
https://www.marilynwines.com/product/2004-Velvet-Collection

Sam's Club dog & drink went to $1.38 vs $1.50...woo-hoo

Fun fact for the egg discussion, dried egg whites from Amazon is less than $4/dozen...

Last edited:
And here is the pricing at the most popular grocery store chain in Mpls/St. Paul area, Cub Foods. Notice Cub is 27% higher than Wal Mart, which is typical of just about everything in the store. Also, on a unit price basis, it is fractionally cheaper to buy them in 12 packs. :facepalm::facepalm::mad:

View attachment 44169

And here we are one month later. Wow!

Egg-Inflation-One-Month.jpg

Do you want to see what $26 of groceries looks like? It looks like this:

Groceries-26-Doll-Hairs-121922.jpg

Just looked at Quicken now.

My home insurance went up 11.6% over last year.

My car insurance went up 12.2% over last year.

RE tax on the boondocks home went up 1.2%.

RE tax on the city home went down 4.2%! What's that all about?

I'm constantly dropping $100 on just a couple bags of groceries now.

Ugh. I just try to suspend all reasonable notions of pricing when I eat in airports.

Today I'm calling my trash hauler and cancelling.

In May of 2021 I was paying $51 per quarter for trash pickup and $9 for recyclable pickup, so $60 total. The next quarter it went up to $73.50. In March of this year they announced they were no longer picking up recyclables. The bill decreased that quarter but the following quarter they added a bogus "environmental charge" that brought it up to $81. Latest is $85- they added a "fuel surcharge". :mad:

I found another company that charges $60. That's the senior rate and I usually don't ask for that but in my case it's justified- I put the trash out maybe once every 2 weeks, if that. No recycling included. I now drove about 10 miles to a dropoff place every couple of months.

I wonder how many customers just stash the recyclables in their garbage bags.

My dad cancelled his trash outright, started burning in his fire pit outside and also asked the neighbor if he could stash what wasn't burnable. He said that recycling is free which I think is odd.

$90 every 2 months or $45/month for our trash bill. Insane.

Sam's Club dog & drink went to $1.38 vs $1.50...woo-hoo

Fun fact for the egg discussion, dried egg whites from Amazon is less than $4/dozen...

Really? I just read an article where the CEO said they wouldn't cave to Sam's Clubs lower $1.38 nor would they cave to inflation raising the price.

Guess the CEO lied. Wouldn't be the first time.

Disney+ went from $79 to $109 yearly.

My dad cancelled his trash outright, started burning in his fire pit outside and also asked the neighbor if he could stash what wasn't burnable.

Wow. DS and DDIL live in an area where open burning is permitted but they mostly just burn yard waste. (When I showed my 8-year old granddaughter poison ivy and explained why she needed to avoid it she suggested we put in in the burn pile. Yes, I DID tell her why that was a Very Bad Idea.) We used to burn trash when I was a teenager in Ohio but it was eventually outlawed- for good reason- due to the risk of the fire getting out of control.

Back
Top Bottom