Examples of current inflation - add yours!

A Tide of shrinkflation! I usually stock up on Tide laundry detergent when Kroger has a good sale on it. Since I'm single, a small bottle will last a while and Kroger will occasionally have it for $5. This time, the bottle was noticeably smaller. My old bottle was 46 oz/37 loads. The new one is 32oz/25 loads. For years, the standard small bottle was 40 loads.

My ISP raised my monthly price by 20% on the latest bill. No warning. I called up to ask about it and the scripted answer was 'Yes, there was a global price increase due to inflation'. I was able to get them to drop the price back to the 'pre inflation' rate. I would guess 50% or more of current subscribers are accepting the 20% gouge, and the ISP is laughing all the way to the bank.

My ISP raised my monthly price by 20% on the latest bill. No warning. I called up to ask about it and the scripted answer was 'Yes, there was a global price increase due to inflation'. I was able to get them to drop the price back to the 'pre inflation' rate. I would guess 50% or more of current subscribers are accepting the 20% gouge, and the ISP is laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah, realistically, what are their costs per additional subscriber? Now, if they start hemorrhaging subscribers, their individual costs WILL shoot up. I hate when such service providers pull the "well it's inflation" thing on us.

This attitude of "we're increasing because of inflation" is exactly what The Fed is concerned about.

Entrenched thoughts and expectations of more inflation feeding on itself is what they want to stop.

Fortunately the future inflation expected by the public has been declining. This is healthy.

My ISP raised my monthly price by 20% on the latest bill. No warning...

Mine was 40%. Same attitude when I called, but they got away with it because it turned out I was eligible for a federal subsidy all along, which they'd never bothered to tell me about before. How convenient.

I can't wait until the cable company has some real competition for internet connections in our town. At the rate they're raising rates, pretty soon Starlink will be a viable alternative.

This attitude of "we're increasing because of inflation" is exactly what The Fed is concerned about.

Entrenched thoughts and expectations of more inflation feeding on itself is what they want to stop.

Well, from what I see, they aren't stopping the "expectations of more inflation feeding on itself" yet. I'm not sure if they have any other tools to w*rk with, so I'm not optimistic short term. But, you know me. Definitely a glass-half-empty guy so YMMV.

Fortunately the future inflation expected by the public has been declining. This is healthy.

additional color (June 16):

"The University of Michigan survey's reading of one-year inflation expectations dropped to 3.3% this month, the lowest since March 2021, from 4.2% in May. Its five-year inflation outlook dipped to 3.0% from 3.1% in May, staying within the narrow 2.9-3.1% range for 22 of the last 23 months.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/...ty of Michigan survey's,of the last 23 months.

Yeah, skimming the document, things like "revenue neutral" and "returning to households" make it seem as simply a deterrent to spend your money on fuels. Jack up the price so demand goes down - then give the money back to everyone.

I suppose that could work - a little. I think most people just get used to the higher price (after they get mad at their gummint.) I can believe it would become quite political.
It is more complex naturally. Tax $100, give back $20, put $15 in our personal graft pockets, rest to debt servicing.

It is more complex naturally. Tax $100, give back $20, put $15 in our personal graft pockets, rest to debt servicing.

Ah, yes. How silly of me. I forgot the graft and "carrying charges":facepalm: (Actually, I was gonna mention something like that, but thought it might be distasteful.):cool:

My electric rate ($/kwh) is dropping by 35% starting on Saturday. It changes twice per year and is greatly affected by the price of natural gas. I'm happy, since my highest electric use month is usually August.

Last year Eversource rate here in NH shot up to .226$/kwh.
Starting Aug 1 goes back down to .126$/kwh (44.2% drop) for the same reason (lower energy costs) but can change again on Jan 31st. :)

I got this email from our electric company this morning (emphasis mine):

Earlier today, AES Indiana filed a petition for a regulatory rate review request with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) and asked for customer base rates to be adjusted to cover the rising operational costs and needs associated with serving you – our customer – safely and reliably.

If new rates are approved, AES Indiana residential customers using 1,000kWh per month will see an increase of approximately $17 or 13% per month compared to current base rates. Pending approval from the IURC, new rates are anticipated to go into effect the summer of 2024.
Our electric bill is about 4% of our yearly spending at the moment so I guess that part of inflation ain't coming down for us in the foreseeable future.

My electric rate ($/kwh) is dropping by 35% starting on Saturday. It changes twice per year and is greatly affected by the price of natural gas. I'm happy, since my highest electric use month is usually August.

We just got our electric bill and it went WAY down. Of course, we had to leave our apartment behind for the past month.:LOL: Just about the only load is our fridge. So, eventually at least, we'll drop from 5KWh/day to 1KWh/day. Unfortunately, the up-front costs per month means you never get close to zero dollars, no matter how frugal you are. Very frustrating.

Mine was 40%. Same attitude when I called, but they got away with it because it turned out I was eligible for a federal subsidy all along, which they'd never bothered to tell me about before. How convenient.

I can't wait until the cable company has some real competition for internet connections in our town. At the rate they're raising rates, pretty soon Starlink will be a viable alternative.

I already know I qualify for the federal subsidy for broadband cable internet, but I don't want it, for various reasons, and therefore I don't mention it to the sales people at the cable co. But I find it interesting that they never mention it when I ask about senior discounts, loyalty discounts, etc.

I know a lady who got the federal subsidy, but regretted it. They made her enroll in a higher cost tier of TV, in order to get the internet subsidy, and she ended up paying for channels she didn't want, and also ended up paying more per month than she used to. I don't know why she doesn't go back to the old way. Makes no sense. Must have Stockholm syndrome, ha ha.

Interesting. I have internet-only, no channels at all. The only cable-company cable in my house goes right into the router.

I took the subsidy, knowing it probably won't last. I'm hoping I get by until there's a better option. Right now my next best option is StarLink at $120/month. We don't even have a good LTE signal here. Maybe some day.

Went to a local high priced market (think Whole Foods on steroids) that I like for special meals because they have such a variety of local goods, handmade gifts, have the best fish monger around in the meat/fish department.
DGS, age 7, went with me to pick out dinner. He picked fresh sushi from the Sushi dept.
Two small trays of crab rolls and California rolls, four trays of pot stickers all fresh made. Three peaches and two large carrots "because we need fruits and vegetables each meal" (smart kid). And doughnuts for dessert. $80.80!

You guys are making me glad I locked in a 3 yr contract on my electric back in 2021. We're paying $.099/kwh for one more year. Currently the 3 yr contract is about 25% more...

We're inadvertently getting deflation on a few things. Easy ones are egg and bacon prices are going down a lot. Got a "weekly special" 18ct eggs @ Kr*ger for $.99 & Wrights bacon is back to $3.50/lb at Sam's (down from appx $6).

The doc told me to do intermittent fasting and lower coffee intake. Minus 1 meal (and snacking) and half the coffee is a pretty decent reduction imo. DW is on board as it's not a diet...

Went back to using a french press & using less than half the normal drip, whole pot & a tad tastier.

Last edited:
Went to a local high priced market (think Whole Foods on steroids) that I like for special meals because they have such a variety of local goods, handmade gifts, have the best fish monger around in the meat/fish department.
DGS, age 7, went with me to pick out dinner. He picked fresh sushi from the Sushi dept.
Two small trays of crab rolls and California rolls, four trays of pot stickers all fresh made. Three peaches and two large carrots "because we need fruits and vegetables each meal" (smart kid). And doughnuts for dessert. $80.80!
Whole Paycheck Plus!

We notice some prices coming down.

I purchased pork tenderloin, skinless/boneless chicken breasts, and flour this week.

All three were the same price as we paid 2 years ago, or so my spouse tells me. Same for baked beans that we purchased a few weeks ago at a sale price.

Other items have gone up up up and have never come down.

Lumber prices are down sharply and Home Depot. A carton of 24 cage free eggs is now $3.99 at Costco down from $5.99. Meat and fish prices are are also down.

Last edited:
Lumber prices are down sharply and Home Depot. A carton of 24 cage free eggs is now $399 at Costco down from $599. Meat and fish prices are are also down.

Eggs were definitely in line to fall when the effects of the bird killings washed through the system. I also noticed certain meats are dropping. For example, Kroger's has one pound packages of Oscar Meyer bacon at $4.99 this week, for up to five packages. I had been hearing how bacon was in short supply and high priced for so long that it strikes me as a low price.

And while I hear good things about cage free eggs versus the alternative, no way would I spend $399.00 for 24 of them :cool:

I already know I qualify for the federal subsidy for broadband cable internet, but I don't want it, for various reasons, and therefore I don't mention it to the sales people at the cable co. But I find it interesting that they never mention it when I ask about senior discounts, loyalty discounts, etc.

I know a lady who got the federal subsidy, but regretted it. They made her enroll in a higher cost tier of TV, in order to get the internet subsidy, and she ended up paying for channels she didn't want, and also ended up paying more per month than she used to. I don't know why she doesn't go back to the old way. Makes no sense. Must have Stockholm syndrome, ha ha.
I was locked into Medicaid for the last 3 years, that qualified me for ACP Internet, free 300/300 FIOS. Too bad it ends soon.

Back
Top Bottom