Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Decided to build a bed & dresser with the best materials... $220/sheet for rift sawn white oak plywood and $1200 later... But it's looking nice. "Regular" plywood is still in the $50's for comparison.

Have you ever worked with something called Appleply? The facings are white maple but the quality of the ply is something you have to see to believe. I think the 3/4" version has about 11 layers and zero voids. I had a piece leaning against the wall for 4 years and it is still as straight as my granite surface table can measure.

Had to pick up a few grocery items at Walmart. Sure enough, more price increases.

Great Value crackers up to $1.12. These has been 98 cents, and 82 cents before that, and 76 cents in 2020. Over 47% increase in less than 2 years.

I'm not sure how a lot of people can afford all these price hikes - certainly a lot more than the official inflation figures.

Wow. Those crackers are now $1.74.

That's 129% price increase since 2020!

My replacement crowns have gone up from $1250 a couple of years ago, to $1350 last year then to $1450 this year (all gold.)

Not sure what anyone would want Gold crowns for? I prefer plain existing tooth colour.

Does one flash them a folks to impress them or ......? :) One would have to point them out to me before I would notice. Unless you are a Rapper of course, then the game changes.

I have a mix. My previous dentist used gold (only had molars), and current dentist uses tooth colored crowns (molars and other teeth).

The last one was $700 to $750. Insurance only covered half the cost, so that was over $300 out of my pocket.

Not sure what anyone would want Gold crowns for? I prefer plain existing tooth colour.

Does one flash them a folks to impress them or ......? :) One would have to point them out to me before I would notice. Unless you are a Rapper of course, then the game changes.

They look good when your dress up as a pirate for Halloween, wave your cutlass about, shout ARG!!!, and give a big smile so people can see the gold treasure in your mouth.

IIRC, Johnny Depp had two gold teeth in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Wow. Those crackers are now $1.74.

That's 129% price increase since 2020!

It does seem that snack foods like chips, and related items like crackers, are among the items with the highest percentage price increases.

I don't know what that says about our priorities. Apparently for some things, money is no object. Personally, I consider those discretionary items which are easy to skip or substitute something else for. It would appear I'm in the minority.

There are advantages to gold. Gold has the same wear coefficient as enamel, so they are less abrasive to opposing teeth than porcelain (at least if the bite has to be adjusted by grinding off any of the porcelain glaze).

Gold is malleable and can be drawn with various rotary discs, minimizing the gap between crown margin and where it contacts the tooth. The tighter and smoother this transition between tooth and crown, the fewer bacteria can grow there and the less gum inflammation occurs.

In my own mouth I chose gold crowns except for those that show when I smile.

I would have to w*rk at flashing my molars. My dentist suggested the gold crowns last longer. I've had problems in the past with the porcelain crowns chipping. YMMV

Have you ever worked with something called Appleply? The facings are white maple but the quality of the ply is something you have to see to believe. I think the 3/4" version has about 11 layers and zero voids. I had a piece leaning against the wall for 4 years and it is still as straight as my granite surface table can measure.

I have never heard of this. Looks like a local thing to the NW. I got this for the smoothness aspect and hoping it doesn't warp/bow for a couple of doors for the pcs I'm making. Rift sawn white oak also has quite a bit of quarter sawn rays in it, which is nice too. So far it's looking really nice.

Attachments

• mdf-x-band_ac3b53.png
    mdf-x-band_ac3b53.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 256
I would have to w*rk at flashing my molars. My dentist suggested the gold crowns last longer. I've had problems in the past with the porcelain crowns chipping. YMMV

I forgot to mention - When gold crowns wear out - finally after 20 years - you can sell them for scrap and get back almost the additional cost you paid for the gold up front. YMMV

Lol, as long as we are nerding out on the boring topic of dental crowns, there are intermediate options. Crowns can be made with porcelain facings but with gold margins and grinding surfaces. More suitable for molars than front teeth, but you capture some of the advantages of each.

Shrinkflation with Costo eggs. The flat of 24 used to be $3.99 or less for extra large eggs. Now $4.59 for large eggs.

The dentist says they last much longer. He recommends them for molars.

The dentist says they last much longer. He recommends them for molars.

Yes, on my back molar the original crown (over live tooth due to fracture) was porcelain-over-metal but was thin & just sat on top of the tooth.

When that tooth became infected and needed a root canal recently I had the original crown replaced with a gold crown which covers most of the tooth instead.

From everything I've read online you really don't want to have to have an implant done so far back there so I picked the gold crown...hopefully I'll be buried with it.

We have gone to the local donut shop on Saturday morning for donuts for maybe over 30 years. They had a sign there this morning that the donut price was going up to $2.00/donut from the current $1.50/donut effective next week.

Gas is coming down. I paid $2.859 at Costco yesterday.

I just paid $4.29 a gallon for regular at the local supermarket gas station. That is the cheapest I’ve paid in at least 6 months. Maybe I should ditch my hybrid before they start giving gasoline away. :)

Yes, I realize that price is high by national standards.

Last edited:
I run premium and paid $3.79/gl at Sam’s in Colorado. We were in Utah last week and I paid over $5/gallon for the same. My sister from California commented that Utah was cheap compared to San Diego. Location makes a difference.

Paid $4.37 at Costco in Spokane Washington on Tuesday.

fish oil capsules. A few months ago, they were $9.75 for 180 pills at Walmart. Now the same bottle costs $14. Approx 50% increase. Gouge me.

Back
Top Bottom