Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Within 4 (easy) miles of our house we have, 2 Walmart's, 3 Aldi's, 1 Fresh Thyme, 1 Sam's, 1 Ruler's (think Kroger's alternative to Aldi's), 2 Schnucks's, and 1 Dierberg's (the last 2 are local stores).

So, we look at the weekly sales and figure out what we want that's on sale.

We have a Costco and 4 major chains (Canada) all located within a mile of each other 4 miles from home. We check the flyers and hit 2, 3, or 4 places once a week depending on what we need and what's on sale.

ALDI doesn't have the same selection and has a smaller selection. For example, I got their brand of cereal once, and I didn't like it at all. So, the lower price wasn't really a bargain. Seems like I always have to wait in line there, also, those times I actually go. By the way, prices have gone up at ALDI also.

Last edited:
There are people in life with many woes. They carry those woes with then at all times. They will take them out of the box and show you. You try to take it from them and they recoil. No, they want the woe.. They don't want to have it fixed. Then, what would they complain about?

Woe is them.

Meanwhile life goes on.

Last edited:
We'd been using from our stash of Psyllium Fiber Capsules for a few months. As we got "low" on it, I bought more at Costco. It had gone up $1 (5%) since about 4 months ago. Not a big increase, but something I track as we use it every day. YMMV

A bright spot on the inflation front today.

We ate lunch outdoors (81 degrees) on a nice deck lakeside. Great view and a table right next to the water. Busy not crowded. I had a basic lunch salad, a delicious cup of house made clam chowder and an iced tea, DH had smash burger & fries, DF had cup clam chowder, fish + chips. 1 iced tea and 3 simple but tasty meals, portions were smaller but we all left full.

Bill? $36. before tip. I left a good one.

This is a nice restaurant, not a dive. Only their lunch menu is inexpensive... but what a deal for a nice lunch today.

A bright spot on the inflation front today.

We ate lunch outdoors (81 degrees) on a nice deck lakeside. Great view and a table right next to the water. Busy not crowded. I had a basic lunch salad, a delicious cup of house made clam chowder and an iced tea, DH had smash burger & fries, DF had cup clam chowder, fish + chips. 1 iced tea and 3 simple but tasty meals, portions were smaller but we all left full.

Bill? $36. before tip. I left a good one.

This is a nice restaurant, not a dive. Only their lunch menu is inexpensive... but what a deal for a nice lunch today.

Yep. DW and I very rarely dine out for the evening meal. Lunch is almost always more reasonable and we rarely wait in line or need reservations. Of course, this has been our dining-out MO for most of our lives.

Interesting that your description closely matches our experience of a week ago. Nice setting (overlooking a marina lagoon), nice lunch with varied entrees, small(er) portions but adequate. Our bill was about 1/2 more per person than yours which is exactly what I expect for dining out in Hawaii compared to most of the USA.

Bringing it all back to the inflation topic, our meals were about 1/3 to 1/2 more than they would have been 3 years ago. Still affordable, but we have cut back on such experiences. Not because we can't afford them but because we prioritize most of our spending. It's perceived value for the money. Eating out, while still pleasurable and desirable has become less valuable to us and so we do it less often. YMMV

10 ft Sunbrella market umbrella with tilt-at Costco

June 2020 $149.95

Current price $149.95

Same brand and inventory number

ALDI doesn't have the same selection and has a smaller selection. For example, I got their brand of cereal once, and I didn't like it at all. So, the lower price wasn't really a bargain. Seems like I always have to wait in line there, also, those times I actually go. By the way, prices have gone up at ALDI also.

I like Aldi for their various nacho chips, I buy about 3 different types, sometimes 4 types.
Humus and guacamole are cheap.

And their canned vegetables, I've compared and they are far cheaper than my other grocery stores by 40 cents or more.

Their large bake at home pizza is fine at ~$7.50 as it's quite large.
Their wine is ok for my poor mans tongue, and I don't feel guilty using it for cooking either. It's $3.45 ea.

I don't find their meat much of a deal, but it's not expensive. I usually get mine at some sale elsewhere.

I like Aldi for their various nacho chips, I buy about 3 different types, sometimes 4 types.
Humus and guacamole are cheap.

And their canned vegetables, I've compared and they are far cheaper than my other grocery stores by 40 cents or more.
Yeah, I'll have to make another trip to ALDI one of these days. I already shop at two other stores and am buying only for myself. I'm always watching for the sales.

Last edited:

I won't get into the food inflation vs non-inflation topic, but I have to agree on the downvote for Aldi's. Everyone seems to love them, so I gave them 3 tries over the years. Each and every time was a poor experience. ONE register with a loooong wait. Shelves a mess - stuff everywhere out of place. Disinterested, borderline rude employees.

Walmart is my go-to for almost everything: big inventory, great curbside pickup, good quality from the shoppers.

While they may not be the cheapest on every SKU, they come very close on most and a good value overall- especially on their house brands, which I like. I can also try and buy with confidence, as their return policy is easy and customer-friendly. Good enough for me!

Last edited:
...Each and every time was a poor experience. ONE register with a loooong wait. Shelves a mess - stuff everywhere out of place. Disinterested, borderline rude employees.

We all have to choose how much we value certain things. You are obviously willing to pay more to get shorter wait times, better organization and polite employees. But if a person's complaints have always been just the actual price of the item, Aldi's is the best they are going to do.

By the way, I have not found any of your complaints to be a problem at the Aldi's I frequent.

I won't get into the food inflation vs non-inflation topic, but I have to agree on the downvote for Aldi's. Everyone seems to love them, so I gave them 3 tries over the years. Each and every time was a poor experience. ONE register with a loooong wait. Shelves a mess - stuff everywhere out of place. Disinterested, borderline rude employees.
Yeah, that sounds like our ALDI. That's one reason why I don't go there, in addition to them not even having most of the items I want.

Walmart brand isn't bad usually, but I don't like their toasted oats, although they weren't as bad as ALDI.

Last edited:
Locally Walmart’s food quality is low so I don’t buy groceries there. I bought hamburger that was supposed to be 93% lean and it was floating in grease.

My local Aldi is small, not very well lit, and the scarcity of checkout service was a problem. But the employees were friendly, helpful, and tried their best.

Recently they have installed self-checkout stations and that makes a huge difference, so it's definitely improving. I wish they had more selection in the meat department, but really no other complaints.

Yes, no Walmart shopping here, the stores are crowded and dirty. I have been going to Lidl for most things we need, but yes, they do not have everything.
It is a pleasure to shop there! Not a huge store, friendly staff, very clean and definitely lower prices than our big chain grocery stores.

Most of the Aldi's around my area have installed self checkouts, and keep one register opened. If there's nobody at the register, they'll come to you once you go there and start loading up your groceries. I usually have enough stuff to make it worthwhile to use the cashier, vs the self checkout. But, I also tend to go somewhat early, during a weekday, before it's too crowded.

As for the friendliness of the staff, I've noticed it depends on where you go. And it seems to parallel how nice the customers are as well. I can think of five locations that I've gone to over the years. Three of them are about equally distant to my house. One is on my way to work. And the other is next to the discount liquor store I go t maybe once a month. The one by the liquor store, as well as the one on my way to work, I refuse do deal with, because I've simply gotten annoyed by staff/customers too many times. As for the three that are closer to my house, there's one that I prefer the most, partly because of the staff/clientele, but also it's just a more relaxing drive. Then there's one that seems okay staff/clientele-wise, but it's also off a major state road, so depending on when you go, traffic can make the drive a bit more aggravating. Then there's one, near a BJs that we go to, that I don't mind, but my housemate hates. However, I've noticed that whenever I go to that BJs by myself, I'll still drive 5 miles out of my way to the one I prefer, so there's definitely some subconscious bias/preference there.

Aldi is hindered by their small size and limited selection, but I'm not that picky, so I can usually find enough of what I like. And yeah, those $7.50 pizzas are pretty good, and filling!

Interesting article about why meat may get cheaper.

Processing the vast amounts of soybeans needed to make the plant-based jet fuel and diesel required to lower US emissions will also create mountains of co-product soymeal, widely used in animal feed. The less expensive it is for meatpackers to feed their animals, the more meat they’ll produce, ultimately trickling down to lower prices at the grocery store.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-chicken-prices-fall-last-143000990.html

Walmart is my go-to for almost everything: big inventory, great curbside pickup, good quality from the shoppers.

While they may not be the cheapest on every SKU, they come very close on most and a good value overall- especially on their house brands, which I like. I can also try and buy with confidence, as their return policy is easy and customer-friendly. Good enough for me!

Never liked the different Aldi's we visited here in town.

But then a Lidl opened practically around the corner & it's been great.

My spouse even visited one while over in Germany.

We have Aldi and Lidl nearby. I have not shopped Aldi in a while. In my experience they have low prices but may have nearer expiration dates on things like milk and yogurt. Canned goods, some fresh food and that surprise aisle are good and interesting. The Lidl is pretty new and I need to check it out. I have been to another one elsewhere in the county.

I generally shop the sales at Safeway, Giant and Harris Teeter (primarily for meat) and then do most shopping at Walmart, which seems to have the best and by far the cheapest produce, and lowest prices on the rest, except meat.

When I go to Costco from time to time I buy some meats there that are perpetually cheap. That seems to be the best place for meat near me other than sales at regular grocery stores.

10 ft Sunbrella market umbrella with tilt-at Costco

June 2020 $149.95

Current price $149.95

Same brand and inventory number

It's probably the same umbrella:dance:

We all have to choose how much we value certain things. You are obviously willing to pay more to get shorter wait times, better organization and polite employees. But if a person's complaints have always been just the actual price of the item, Aldi's is the best they are going to do.

By the way, I have not found any of your complaints to be a problem at the Aldi's I frequent.

I don't actually think this it true at the moment. Most of my groceries are outside pickup at Walmart. I will go to Aldi's if I have a small list, am in town unexpectedly (because its over 15 miles from home). I'm finding very,very little difference in price on the items I buy.

When on the mainland we always shop first at Aldi. Some things are great values and those that are not, we buy at Kroger. In Hawaii, we generally shop at Costco. We've already altered our spending just about as much as we can to limit inflation's ravages - in Hawaii and on the mainland.

Does anyone have a reference for how long it has been since it was common to be able to buy a 1 Gallon container of bleach for a dollar or less?

Now I see Walmart has 121oz, (not a gallon) for $5.72.

Attachments

• Bleach.jpg
    Bleach.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom