Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Printer ink. costs more per ounce than I can count....

I'm tossing my whole printer in the garbage because I can buy a new printer with the same ink for less.

Printer ink isn't an example of inflation. It's been absurdly expensive for a long time. I have one of those "ink tank" printers, too. I think the ink in the tanks has already lasted longer than most of my previous printers have, and it's less than half gone. I shouldn't have bought refills when I bought the printer. The original load might outlive me.

Printer ink. costs more per ounce than I can count....

I'm tossing my whole printer in the garbage because I can buy a new printer with the same ink for less.

I've been buying full sets of inks for my cannon every year for a decade from amazon, not actual cannon, but work just fine. $20 full set.

I got new tires recently at Discount Tire . I ended up getting Falcons . Normally I alway got Yokohama but Falcons were made in NY and 100.00 off if you bought four . But the manager brought me back to his office and showed me an old Discount Tire ad in a Michigan newspaper from 1960 . Goodyear Tires were advertised 9.99 and Cooper tires for 6.99 all mounted and balanced .

Printer ink isn't an example of inflation. It's been absurdly expensive for a long time. I have one of those "ink tank" printers, too. I think the ink in the tanks has already lasted longer than most of my previous printers have, and it's less than half gone. I shouldn't have bought refills when I bought the printer. The original load might outlive me.

Same here.

And a refill was included with the printer. We might someday use the black ink refill.

The wife loves shopping at Tony's grocery, the 40 ounces of Old Fashion Oatmeal was advertise 7.99 on discount. Last year, it was the same as Walmart 4.99 and than 5.99 and today's new higher price. They are smoking weed or something else!

That's me! I don't like "shopping". I know what I want. I get it. And I get out.

Me too! Except for plumbing always 3 trips to the hardware store. I'm half way through a job I started two days ago, two trips down, one to go.
I hope only one!

Since when is a 10ft piece of 3/4" schedule 20 PVC water pipe $5.98! :facepalm:

One of the (very!) few fresh products I used to buy at Walmart was their $1 loaves of fresh-baked breads. Then the price went up to $1.47. Then $1.74 or some such. They may have hit $1.98 at some point. I don't remember exactly; I stopped buying when it hit $1.47. They are good, but not that good.

Yesterday I was in the store and they had a selection of $1 breads again, with big "Price Roll Back!" signs all over them. I also noticed others were back down to $1.47.

I didn't buy any. I just couldn't get over the dishonesty. They weren't so proud when they kept raising the price. If they had just quietly returned the price to what it had been before, it wouldn't have seemed so cynical.

Anyway, I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Our Walmart quit carrying C&W or Birdseye tiny whole frozen green beans. These are by far my favorite and they were around $2.50 a bag at Walmart. I went to Safeway and they had them...for $3.79 a bag! That is a lot for essentially 2 servings of frozen green beans. I wonder if Walmart stops carrying a brand if it gets too expensive?

One point I ponder, if all these corporations are raising their prices, I would expect their profits to increase. With the result being their stock prices would increase. So, is that why we have experienced a 14.5% increase in the S&P and an 18.7% increase in the Nasdaq in just the last 6 months?
Specifically, this group of savers and investors, are we winning or losing? :LOL:

I had to make about 225 copies at the local UPS store last week. I do this about once a year - long story. Last year, the price per copy was (IIRC 9 cents - could have been only 8 cents.) This time it was 14 cents. That's a big jump! It's roughly 1/3 more in one year.

I think a big reason for some of the inflation is due to wages. Minimum wage here in California for fast food workers is $20 an hour. I went to breakfast with my wife after Church yesterday at Original Mel's Diner and our bill came to $48 for 2 cups of coffee, a glass of apple juice and two pretty generic meals. Add a 20% tip and it was almost $58 for breakfast. The grocery content of the bill was perhaps $10 tops, probably more like $5, leaving the rest as wages and profit.

I just paid my classic car insurance bill. It was $457 this year, vs $416 last year, or roughly a 9.9% increase. This is for four cars: a 1957 DeSoto Firedome hardtop coupe, 1967 Pontiac Catalina convertible, 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe, and 1979 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue Edition 4-door sedan.

Now, part of that increase was that they gave me the option to up the value of the DeSoto by $2,000. I think that accounted for $8.00 of that increase. Factoring that out, the increase comes to 7.9%. Dollar-wise, I don't even notice it among my other bills, but considering they're trying to say inflation has come down, I'd say that's still a bit on the high side.

I know much of the rise in car insurance is due to theft and such, but I don't think there's much of a black market for '57 DeSoto catalytic converters. :p

My above post had me curious to check out the policy for my regular cars, as it comes due in less than a month now. Last year it was $1,576. This year, $2,241. However, this time there was a somewhat major change. Last year, I had 3 vehicles on that policy: a 2003 Buick Regal that was my daily driver, a 2012 Dodge Ram Hemi, and a 1979 New Yorker base model (5th Ave was a high-priced trim level that year). For this year, the Regal has been replaced by a 2023 Dodge Charger R/T. I remember when I made the change, back in September of last year, my insurance man said the Charger would make my annual bill go up $372, which all things considered, I didn't think was too bad.

So I guess the best way to calculate the increase for this bill would be to take $2241 / ($1576+372). This one's a 15% jump. Ouch!

**Edit: In case anyone's wondering, the reason I have this New Yorker on the regular policy rather than the antique policy, is because the antique policy requires the car to have a minimum agreed value of $4,000, and this car isn't worth anywhere near that.

Last edited:
Here is an example of recent inflation.

fredgraph.png

I think a big reason for some of the inflation is due to wages. Minimum wage here in California for fast food workers is $20 an hour. I went to breakfast with my wife after Church yesterday at Original Mel's Diner and our bill came to $48 for 2 cups of coffee, a glass of apple juice and two pretty generic meals. Add a 20% tip and it was almost $58 for breakfast. The grocery content of the bill was perhaps $10 tops, probably more like $5, leaving the rest as wages and profit.

Tomorrow's breakfast will be at a favorite, locally-owned diner.

3 pieces pork tenderloin (breaded, but grilled instead of fried), 3 eggs any style (over easy for me), two biscuits, with sausage gravy & coffee for under $8.

I leave a $2 tip so under $10 out the door.

Could probably split the above between two people & really save.

Last edited:
Was at Walmart today and went to buy a jar of peanut butter. I happened to look at the nutrition label and noticed that it had 210Cal/32g; previously it had a value of 180Cal/32g (as do most other peanut butters). After looking at the relative amounts of fat, etc. on the label, it seems as though they have increased the amount of hydrogenated oil, which is used to prevent separation. Of course increasing the oil decreases the peanuts, which are more expensive. I got a jar of the old formula. In the future I will buy Kroger's house brand, unless of course they also go down this road.

They are allowed under Federal regulations to have up to 10% "seasoning and stabilizing" ingredients. Walmart is probably pushing it to the limit.

Last edited:
Was at Walmart today and went to buy a jar of peanut butter. I happened to look at the nutrition label and noticed that it had 210Cal/32g; previously it had a value of 180Cal/32g (as do most other peanut butters). After looking at the relative amounts of fat, etc. on the label, it seems as though they have increased the amount of hydrogenated oil, which is used to prevent separation. Of course increasing the oil decreases the peanuts, which are more expensive. I got a jar of the old formula. In the future I will buy Kroger's house brand, unless of course they also go down this road.

They are allowed under Federal regulations to have up to 10% "seasoning and stabilizing" ingredients. Walmart is probably pushing it to the limit.

I just buy the national brands (either Skimpy or Jip.) They each have 190 cal/32 gm. YMMV

I just buy the national brands (either Skimpy or Jip.) They each have 190 cal/32 gm. YMMV

I only by peanut or nut butter that has one ingredient. Peanuts. Only peanuts.

Sometimes your only choice is peanuts + salt. Any oils or other crap and I do not buy.

Costco has a mixed nut butter with 4-5 different nuts. No other ingredients.

I make my own jelly by simply blending some fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes).

Quote without comment.......

Source WSJ 02/20/2024

American Airlines will charge $40 to check a bag at the airport for domestic flights or $35 for those who pay in advance online. A second bag will now cost $45.

I only by peanut or nut butter that has one ingredient. Peanuts. Only peanuts.

Sometimes your only choice is peanuts + salt. Any oils or other crap and I do not buy.

Costco has a mixed nut butter with 4-5 different nuts. No other ingredients.

I make my own jelly by simply blending some fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes).

I've never liked the "real" (only peanuts) peanut butter. I'm sure the added sugar, salt, vegetable oil, etc. of the major brands is what makes it taste good to me. Otherwise, I'd much prefer a handful of peanuts. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom