Extreme Cheapskates - Revisited

queeneev

Recycles dryer sheets
i just re-read this old thread,
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/nationwide-casting-for-most-frugal-folks-57264.html (which is locked), and therefore it is with trepidation (I am being facetious...!) I announce that I am one of the freaks TLC was seeking. My episode will air in late October. They interviewed me for the pilot but passed on me. Then they got the greenlight for 8 new episodes, and contacted me to participate. I told them, "listen, I enjoyed watching the pilot, but I won't do this if you intend to make me out to be a nutjob". And they assured me....

YEAH WELL ooookay, so I am now Officially and Into Perpetuity, a Nutjob. But I HAD A BLAST!! And I did get a chance to perhaps convey a genuine message...we shall see!

FYI, I rarely post here but I peruse and enjoy daily...I joined up here right about when my life began to SUCK and my company was leeching my soul. I actually enjoyed my career until 5 years ago when I began to feel the corporate squeeze of "work more for less". When I was 25 I vowed to get out at 40. That didn't pan out, but I was content at 40 to adjust that goal and work a few extra years. I had decent balance then. By age 45 all that had changed and the fire (pun) to retire began to BLAZE :mad:. I needed to validate my notion that I COULD get out early, and I wasn't unrealistic or naive. There are no family or friends in my circle that understood my passion to retire, or that said anything to me along the lines of, "you go girl, I know you can do it!". They all pretty much just thought I was "obsessed" with it. Frankly, I privately reflected that they've all just been victims to being told "you can't", and they don't question it. It frustrated me SO much that no one would even TRY to envision that you can live happily without having millions, and it's not in your birth agreement that you HAVE to work until you qualify for SSI.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this forum...the daily discussions, suggestions, humor, debates, ideas, and support to anyone who needs it are very comforting and are part of my morning tea. I worship my right to live life on MY terms and if I want to 'obsess' (not my word) about my money, I can do that in the company of other money-bright (my word) folks and get respect.

So.....my filming did involve some, uh, (extensive) "poetic license". Read Jeff Yeager's blog on his experience and I will vouch that mine was similar. Extreme Cheapskates: Behind the Scenes – AARP

Living frugal is a lifestyle that deserves the limelight, and this was an opportunity to share how I do it and pass along some much-needed inspiration in this gasping, choking, consumptive culture. You will have to ignore the "entertainment fodder" though to appreciate the genuine message underneath, if it can be discerned. At this point, I don't even know how it will roll...I tried very hard but it will most likely be just plain silly! I did the show because of the message, and because the medium was fun and different! :dance:

Victoria

So give us a preview - what will the themes of your episode be? Inquiring minds want to know!

Cool, Victoria! And weren't you on one of the race tv programs one time before as well?
I hope we'll get to see it!

So cool!!! I love reality television, especially picking out the so obvious edits to portray a participant to meet the show's needs rather than the true story, so I won't think you're a nut job at all.

And just plain silly is just plain good!

I will try to remember to watch it too! I did see you on the Amazing Race and enjoyed it!

Awesome Victoria, I'll be watching! I searched youtube for "Extreme Cheapskates" and found a treasure trove of interesting videos.

You should buy a bunch of stuff and get about 30-40 cats and you could get on Hoarders one day too! ;)

One of the great difficulties of being frugile/cheapskate/etc is that the outcome after a period of time is success.

Gone from a beater 4 banger pickup with rusty fender to a chevy Equinox over 18 years of ER. One example. Actually use my A/C when it gets to 100 degrees and so on.

Thinking used BMW - at age 69 cause I need one last fling at youth and I heard you can't take it with you.

heh heh heh - Index funds and time in the market is a wonderful thing. Heck I even buy whole new boxes of Dollar General dryer sheets and USE them. :ROFLMAO: :greetings10: ;)

Okay ! What's your frugality secret ? It has to be something great .I will be watching for the show and cheering you on !

Congratulations, queeneev. Please can you let us know the exact date in late Octber, and I will be happy to watch the TLC program if I can.

Congratulations, queeneev. Please can you let us know the exact date in late Octber, and I will be happy to watch the TLC program if I can.

I only need to know the date with 11 days of airing! That's how far ahead I can set my DirecTV TiVo!

Mike D.

I hope someone links to this forum after it airs.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I should add that I was also interviewed on national TV a few years ago. My name was displayed on the TV screen as part of the program (nothing to do with frugal lifestyle or FIRE). One of the biggest mistakes of my life. I hope it works better for you than it did for me, queeney.
obgyn65 said:

I should add that I was also interviewed on national TV a few years ago. My name was displayed on the TV screen as part of the program (nothing to do with frugal lifestyle or FIRE). One of the biggest mistakes of my life.
Why? What happened as a result of your interview?

Victoria, I will look forward to watching, too. I am traveling the first two weeks of October but if I know when the episode is airing, I can have someone tape it for me.

obgyn65 said:
I should add that I was also interviewed on national TV a few years ago. My name was displayed on the TV screen as part of the program (nothing to do with frugal lifestyle or FIRE). One of the biggest mistakes of my life. I hope it works better for you than it did for me, queeney.

Queen has already been on national tv, in the Amazing Race! I think she liked it, or else this latest program wouldn't have appealed to her.
Sorry your experience wasn't positive. I don't think I'd mind, but I'm pretty dorky on camera, and audio!

Back
Top Bottom