Face masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to look up info on tight-fitting bio masks. I used these occasionally at w*rk (not bio, but tight-fitting with chemical cartridges). They were considered to be 100 protection factor IIRC. I was thinking these might be better for Costco runs assuming the right bio cartridge or ultra filtration cartridge was available.

WELL, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but I found a site that has a bunch of info on masks. Take the info with your own margarita salt, pink sea salt or Morton salt (iodized, if you prefer). I take no position on the info (don't know the site's biases if any, etc.) but was exposed to a lot of this stuff way back in the day when I studied occupational health. (Heh, heh, it's been a long time since I thought about brownian motion.)

I'm guessing this is way more info than most of us want/need, but it might be interesting to some. Definitely a YMMV situation.

https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

No. The manufacturer's page here says "Packaging: 5 pcs per bag /40 pcs per box."

The manufacturer's technical info words it "Respiratory Masks: 40 pieces (8x 5 pieces)"

Thanks.

I need to decide if I need to buy more.
I have 10 of the Honeywell N95 masks arriving Tuesday.
I am sure I am not following protocol, but I have been wearing KN95 for a month and throwing them out. Going out twice a month for grocery shopping and miscellaneous.

MODERATOR NOTE - for about the hundredth time - This thread is about where and how to get masks. We are not having a debate here or anywhere else on this board about whether masks are effective or not. If it continues, the thread will be closed.

I didn't know about the N95 ventless masks.

I am guessing but would bet that most masks that block the light when held up to the sun would work very well. Yes, the most important point is to actually wear a mask. That is the responsible thing to do.
My concern is that ventless N95 masks are not truely ventless. If your glasses get steamed up, they are venting around the top of the nose. If you correct that, aren't they just venting at another spot on the perimeter, I don't know. If you exhale slow enough, yes the air can escape through the mask.
But the idea is, that masks prevent larger virus laden droplets from being driven into the air and they do that pretty well.
For self protection this may be an even better solution. (Amazon link) Hepa mask

https://tinyurl.com/y6slzpoe
This introduces a positive pressure on the mask from air drawn through a hepa filter.
I highlight self, becauseit seems possible (if you are the sick one) the positive pressure will push air and possible virus out of perimeter leaks.
If I was 70 or 80 and expected to be in a compromised situation, I would probably jump on this.
Info on Hepa particle filtering size.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/can-hepa-air-purifiers-capture-coronavirus/

Edit: Sorry Gumby, I posted this and then saw your post, if this violates please delete. Although in the end it is about getting a mask and where.

Last edited:
MidPack-

I tried the Swiss made Optrel P.Air masks mentioned earlier in this thread. Unlike many masks falsely claimed to be N95 certifed, these are indeed NIOSH N95 certified, (although NOT FDA-cleared for medical use) on the CDC/NIOSH website:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1sect2-o.html
Found them in stock here a few days ago-
https://bakersgas.com/products/optrel-4190010
Good price (~US$2.50 each) and prompt delivery.
YMMV.

I posted a link to these Optrel masks earlier in the thread. They are awaiting FDA approval but they do already have NIOSH N95 certification. I trust Swiss masks more than Chinese one's. My Brother-In-Law who lives in Switzerland works at a biotechnology company in Lausanne and uses these masks and informed me about the company. He also uses this type:

https://medical.optrel.com/us/respiratory-protection-system

Imagine walking around in a supermarket with one of these masks or on an airplane.

I just ordered 40 of these masks after receiving a batch of fake Honeywell H910+ masks that I returned and obtained a full refund.

With this purchase, we should be okay through the end of 2021. Chinese KN95 masks are okay for general purpose use like going to the supermarket or Home Depot. They are pretty inexpensive now and you can get a box of 50 for under $15. Just do a leak test with water to make sure that the one's you bought are okay. The 5 layer KN95 masks are a better option to cloth masks or bandanas.

For visiting hospitals, doctor/dentist office and medical centers or flying on airplanes, I would use NIOSH N95 masks only.

Thanks for this good info. I see their website says they are for single use. What are your thoughts on that? Since I'm not working as a medical person, I think it would be okay to simply hang them up for a week or so and reuse them. Thoughts on that? Thanks.

I tried the Swiss made Optrel P.Air masks mentioned earlier in this thread. Unlike many masks falsely claimed to be N95 certifed, these are indeed NIOSH N95 certified, (although NOT FDA-cleared for medical use) on the CDC/NIOSH website:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1sect2-o.html
Found them in stock here a few days ago-
https://bakersgas.com/products/optrel-4190010
Good price (~US$2.50 each) and prompt delivery.

I have the KN95 and I do not toss after one use.
I have one that I have just thrown after a couple of months of use.
I got them in late May when they first became available to the public.
Early on I was wearing them once a week for grocery shopping.
Later on twice week.
I should have tossed sooner.
The ear loops definitely have loosened.

The KN95 masks that I have state that they can be re-used 20 times (see attached photo). I bought a box of 50 of these for about $15 plus tax or about 30 cents each. They came in sealed packages of two. These are good masks for use around the house for dust and particle protection when using power tools such as a table saw. They are also good for visits to the supermarket and other stores. They are clearly marked "This product is a non-medical device". I tested them with water and they do hold water and continue to do so after multiple uses. The ear loops do get loose over time.

For travel by plane or a visit to the doctor or dentist, I wouldn't trust these. I will stick to NIOSH N95 masks.

Attachments

• kn95.jpg
    kn95.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20201102_052407222.jpg
    IMG_20201102_052407222.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I just ordered 40 of these masks after receiving a batch of fake Honeywell H910+ masks that I returned and obtained a full refund.

Freedom56, By chance were the fake Honeywell H910+ masks ordered from Primis Medical? If so what alerted you that the masks were fake? I have an order arriving sometime this week.

Freedom56, By chance were the fake Honeywell H910+ masks ordered from Primis Medical? If so what alerted you that the masks were fake? I have an order arriving sometime this week.

I am interested in knowing this too!

I just received my order of them from Primis Medical.
Instead of individually wrapped masks, the ten masks were all together in one plastic bag.

I am interested in knowing this too!

I just received my order of them from Primis Medical.
Instead of individually wrapped masks, the ten masks were all together in one plastic bag.

I am interested too! I have not received my order yet, but found this article about recognizing fakes. The masks pictured in the photo on PM's website look different from the one shown in the article & do not appear to have the required markings.

I am interested too! I have not received my order yet, but found this article about recognizing fakes. The masks pictured in the photo on PM's website look different from the one shown in the article & do not appear to have the required markings.

I contacted Primis Medical, and the following is their response.
-------------------------------------------------------
I can assure you our masks are not counterfeit. We work with one of the worlds largest OEM producers of N95 masks in the world. They produce a majority of the tooling that factories use worldwide. Our product comes in sealed cases, 12 boxes per case, each box containing 50 masks packaged in (5) 10 packs. We are offering the factory fold seal 10 packs to help accommodate all of our customer needs.
Our business, which we have been in for over 7 years, is selling medical devices and products. We are also providing masks, gowns, gloves and sanitizers etc. to hospitals throughout the country. Our company is listed on the American Hospital Association list of approved vendors.
We have included our NIOSH certification within the listing and are shown on the CDC list of approved N95 masks under Honeywell International H910 Plus TC-84A-8480.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1-h.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

------------------------------------------------------

I have decided to keep mine.

Mine were NOT from Primus medical. See the attached photo. I purchased Honeywell H910 Plus NIOSH N95 masks. What I received were Honeywell H910 Plus KN95 with some Chinese writing. They were packed in a plastic bag containing ten masks as shown in the photo. These masks had ear loop straps not headbands that N95 masks have. They did not look like the Honeywell N95 H910 masks that I bought a while back (before the pandemic). The seller did not argue and sent me a return label and full refund.

The real ones should be clearly marked as "Honeywell H910 Plus NIOSH N95". They should have headbands not ear loop straps.

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_130931852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201029_130931852_HDR.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20201029_131013898_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201029_131013898_HDR.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 37

See my post on what I received.

A company people should avoid for masks is Solis Healthcare located in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills.

https://solis-healthcare.com/

This company claims to sell medical grade phase masks such as ASTM Level 3 surgical masks. I purchased one box of their SG-1 premium face mask which was supposed to be equivalent of ASTM Level 3. However upon receipt of my box of masks, I found them to be completely useless. The only thing premium was their price. They leaked water instantly. I held the mask up to a bright light and found voids in the middle layer. I peeled the top layer off and took some pictures of the voids and sent them to the seller (see attached photo). They refunded my money immediately.

For medical grade masks, I avoid anything made in China. Chinese KN95 masks are okay for general purpose use but I would not pay more than 50 cents each for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_153953722.jpg
    IMG_20201017_153953722.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 44
Primis Medical does sell on eBay too.
When I called they asked me if I purchased on eBay or on their website.

And it looks like I have the genuine items. :)

I tried some of the real N95's and didn't like them as much as the double layer cotton/poly cloth jobbies.

What I posted were pictures of Honeywell H910 masks that were NOT NIOSH N95 compliant. Per my post I returned those. Your masks from Primus Medical should state "H910 Plus, NIOSH N95" along with the number.

Honeywell
H910 Plus
NIOSH N95
TC-84A-8480

LOT No. 200720

The other side of the mask is blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom