Fastclick.net malware

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
DW has an older (3 years?) Ipad.

On her Spider Solitaire app she is getting an annoying 30 second audio ad that is controlled or run by a cookie (i think) called fastclick.net.

I am a Windows and Android person so I know little about Apple products. I can't seem to find a way to get this malware off the pad. Clearing cookies (internet suggested) has no effect.

Any ideas to clear this varmint out? :confused: She uses Google for internet browsing.

Thanks!

Uninstall then reinstall Google browser? And/or uninstall Solitaire app and then reinstall. Clear cache. Look for unrecognizable apps and remove. I am Android as well, so don't know if all of these are applicable for Apple device.

Also, after you removed the cookie, did you power off the Ipad and reboot? Check if the cookie came back. If so, delete again and immediately shutdown and reboot.

Another idea - copy some garbage file (maybe a picture) and rename to the fastclick cookie file name in the cookie location...maybe it will crash when it can't read the file contents.

Last edited:
Is this the app that was formerly by Finger Arts, but now is Peoplefun? If so, I've given up on it and their other games since the change. There are simply too many dang ads, ads that take over the screen, and ads for slot machine games that spin spin and keep spinning at the bottom of the screen.

Whew! Well, it that's not it at least I got my pet peeve out for today.

You said it's the app and not the browser? For browser malware ads I find that clearing the history and website data, and maybe rebooting helps sometimes. Worst case is to erase the device and restore from a backup from the "before" times, or even erase it and set it up as a new device. PITA, I know.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't think this re-installs from the browser.

I've removed the cookie and rebooted the iPad. It came back immediately. According to internet sites on this, the varmint is not easily tracked down and I don't know how to get past the common settings. If this was on a Windows machine, I have tools and know how to track bad things down (years of experience). I'm not knowledgeable on the Apple OS or how to get into any file structure.

Maybe doing a hard reset on the pad?

You said it's the app and not the browser? For browser malware ads I find that clearing the history and website data, and maybe rebooting helps sometimes. Worst case is to erase the device and restore from a backup from the "before" times, or even erase it and set it up as a new device. PITA, I know.

If this was a WIndows machine, restoring from an older, saved backup date would be a snap. This is the Apple IOS and I don't think that feature is available.

It is likely not malware, rather in-app advertising. The app itself, and this embedded ad, should have nothing to do with a browser or cookies on the iPad. It is one way the developer receives revenue, annoying as it may be. If it is too annoying, simply delete the app and move on. Perhaps there is a similar non-free app with no ads.

According to this site: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spider-solitaire/id500962489

Reading the reviews say it's built into the app, and is annoying.

You could try turning off internet, before playing the game. That works for me for 1 app I use.
No ads if no internet.

It is likely not malware, rather in-app advertising. The app itself, and this embedded ad, should have nothing to do with a browser or cookies on the iPad. It is one way the developer receives revenue, annoying as it may be. If it is too annoying, simply delete the app and move on. Perhaps there is a similar non-free app with no ads.

Thanks to both of you for the information. Looks like she's stuck with it or needs to find another similar app.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom