Favorite Chocolate

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My favorite chocolate is Trader Joe's Swiss Dark Chocolate 30%Hazelnut, not the absolutely best chocolate in my life but at the price I haven't found anything near it. And managable amount of sugar as I am glucose sensitive. What other (preferable dark) chocolates are worth investigating, espically affordable ones?

Toblerone would be up there.

Trader Joe's 73% cocoa, with almonds, does it for me.

Dove Promises - Dark, or any of the other variations with dark chocolate. Wally-mart has the best price that I have found on these.

Anything Belgian, which TJ's is. IMO Côte d'Or is better than TJs but much pricier. The Dove brand dark is the best American made IMO, but it is fairly sweet. Montezumas is the best British I've tried, they add a hint of real vanilla, a surprisingly good addition.

Last edited:
I get my European chocolates at Aldi's. They're very reasonably priced too.

Our new favorite confectionery is a white soft centered coconut ball available at Walmart. A taxi driver in Paris gave us some in June, and we're now hooked.

Swiss Delice Petits Suisse Chocolate (72%) available at Costco in Canada. Not sure if it's available in the US or not...

My favorite chocolate is Trader Joe's Swiss Dark Chocolate 30%Hazelnut, not the absolutely best chocolate in my life but at the price I haven't found anything near it. And managable amount of sugar as I am glucose sensitive. What other (preferable dark) chocolates are worth investigating, espically affordable ones?

same store but their 1-lb milk choc bar. it’s a once or twice a year treat for me.

runner up is walgreen’s house brand (Nice!) choc covered raisins. almost like crack for us.

third place is a 3-way tie between M&M’s, hershey milk choc bar and hershey kisses.

Moser Roth at Aldi and Dove Dark are very good buys. The very best I have ever had are Dark Truffles from Holls Swiss Chocolates in Vienna, WVa.

Ghirardelli. Even their baking chips are better than anybody's candy bar.

See's Chocolates, although in Florida I have to wait till winter to order them.

And as davebarnes said, if inside the EU, practically anything. EU rules about cacao content and quality are stricter than North America's. (Not sure what happens to British chocolate, if Brexit, but for now UK chocolate rocks).

I like good dark chocolate, but it isn’t available near me. So I just go with a Snickers, M&M’s or Hershey bar from the gas station.

Still love Godiva the best and agree about the Ghirardelli baking chips.

I'm addicted to the Trader Joe's Pound Plus Belgian Milk Chocolate. $5 for 17 ounces. Can't be beat. I wish I liked dark chocolate with the lesser sugar hit. Maybe I will try a Dark Swiss Hazlenut and see. OP described it as 30% but I thought dark was all 70% plus.

Last edited:
99% of american chocolate is a travesty. Even most cadbury's sold stateside is not the same recipe, since Hershey owns it and leads with sugar instead of milk.

Green & Black's is pretty good.

I used to really like dark chocolate but maybe my taste buds are changing as it just seems too bitter now. If I'm going to risk the calories and the sugar I might as well go for the good stuff. (yes I know there's a bit less sugar in dark, but still).

99% of american chocolate is a travesty. Even most cadbury's sold stateside is not the same recipe, since Hershey owns it and leads with sugar instead of milk.

+1
Megacorp had a pouch that was delivered to our UK office weekly. We would fill it up with wonderful American chocolate for our poor heresyless co-w*rkers.

I seriously don't know how we Americans have give the okay for chocolate to be ruined by the manufacturers.

As most expats know, there are "british food shops" in nooks and crannies here and there in the US. Mostly tiny little mum+pop places where you can go for a good pork pie, and a wall of proper chocolate.

Hershey, a few years back sought to stomp these out and sued importers of UK cadbury but it looks like that fizzled out.

True. I am patiently waiting for a shipment of Terry's Chocolate Oranges from the UK for Christmas.

Even the expat shops don't seem to offer my favorite weird chocolate treat:
Cadbury Chocolate Bar with Turkish filling. This is not "Turkish delight" gumdrop stuff with a thin chocolate coating, but a real Cadbury bar with a jelly filling that tastes of roses and lavender. I miss it, but it seems excessive to travel just so I can buy some...

Life is too short to eat cheap chocolate. Even when I was poor, I felt the same way!

Lindt has 70% chocolate truffles with a softer chocolate inside, not bad for the money if I get it on sale. The 70% chocolate is only the shell from what I can tell. Still they are quite good and not nearly as sweet as the regular chocolate truffles.

+1 on See's.

Back
Top Bottom