favorite email client app for Apple MAC??

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
We have an Apple MAC desktop family computer. We love it but. we have had all sorts of trouble with the included Apple Mail app. My wife and I have a few email accounts (gmail, comcast) each

and periodically the Apple Mail will drop connections to the email server ... often for months at a time. It happens arbitrarily, without any of us changing any settings.

Right now my wife cannot read her email on the MAC. However, she can read her email on her iPhone!

I have been verifying settings and trying to fix this and am pulling my hair out. This happened to me a year ago with my email and it took 6 months before it magically started connecting again.

Aaarrgggh!

I am fed up with the Apple Mail app and am looking for a 3rd part email app I can install on the MAC. I just want something solid and reliable, no fancy features.

Anyone else have these problems?

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Thx.

My wife and I have a few email accounts (gmail, comcast) each

Right now my wife cannot read her email on the MAC.
Why can't she read her gmail on the computer? I can see mine at gmail.com. I get my aol mail at aol.com. And I can get my work email from their site (outlook).

I’ve never had trouble seeing GMail on my MacBook Pro or my iPhone. Comcast email has issues on both, so I dropped them.

I also don’t use a mail app on my Mac laptop, just use a browser to access my gmail.

I've always used Apple Mail on my laptop and been very happy with it for all my email accounts, gmail included.

If you've done the usual restart, examine all the settings, etc., I would think a phone call to Apple support should be able to clear up the issue.

We have been using Thunderbird email client from Mozilla for years.
I like it better than apple or web based clients.

Using the web access is plan B. That works for both Comcast and Google but, the Mail client (when it worked) is much faster, easier to use, and cleaner than opening up several different web sites.

I've been on the phone with support but they just finger point. Apple says it's Comcast and Google's problem and vice versa.

Using the web access is plan B. That works for both Comcast and Google but, the Mail client (when it worked) is much faster, easier to use, and cleaner than opening up several different web sites.

I've been on the phone with support but they just finger point. Apple says it's Comcast and Google's problem and vice versa.

If you are near an Apple Store I'd schedule a session with someone there. They've very helpful and in person is much better than over the phone.

Of course that's easier with a laptop, but I'd even take in an iMac or Mac mini if I was having unsolved problems.

I've used used MacOS mail with a variety of email servers including gmail and haven't encountered the problems you are having. I bet the Apple folks can straighten it out for you.

I’ve decided to go with Apple Mail since moving to iMac from Windows, where I was a Thunderbird user.

I had a difficult time moving the stored Thunderbird messages to Apple, but it can be done.

I don’t especially like Apple Mail on the desktop but I can live with it. Most of my current email is sent or received on a mobile device (Apple). I intentionally avoid third party software wherever possible now.

My desktop always has 4 browser tabs open: AOL, work email, eBay, and Terapeak (part of eBay). I never close those four windows so checking my email takes no more than one click to switch tabs. It can’t really get any faster or easier than that. I’ve had a Mac since 1994 and have never used the Apple Mail app.

Sorry you have had issues with the native Mac Mail client. I have used it for years without issue. I have 3 gmail accounts, 1 Outlook.com account and the one Apple iCloud account I’ve had for years (but don’t use) hooked up to the client. I, for one, don’t like using the gmail web interface. I have it bookmarked, but rarely use it.

We've never had any issues with Mac Mail, for years. And we don't bother with other clients (no need to in our case).

Perhaps the OP should go to the Apple forum for Macs and present the problem history. There are a lot of savvy folks there that might have a solution.

_B

Well I upgraded the OS to Ventura today and
the email accounts are up and running in Mail again now!
Now I'm holding my breath to see if it holds.

I’ve had no problems with the Apple mail app. However, I did have problems with network connectivity, very sluggish Numbers and Pages, and a bunch of other mysterious issues. I reinstalled MacOS from the internet and restored a backup, choosing to not restore settings. Took all day but it did the trick with no loss of data. Not sure if this helps.

Was creating an iCloud mail account ever considered? Using the Apple mail app on my iPhone and iMac with my .mac email account (it’s an old one and I think they are .me now) has never been an issue.

As others have said just use the browser interface for gmail on your computer. That’s what I do on my Mac . The functionality is just as good as Apple mail really

We've had 3 desktop iMacs over the years and love them. Sometimes, when we update the software the connection between the iMac, iPhone, and iPad glitches. And if you change Apple passwords, you have to change them individually on all devices. Applecare is your friend. They always and I mean every time I call, solve my issues.

Back
Top Bottom