Favorite Sandwich: Hot & Cold

I’ve always loved making sandwiches and eating them. I rarely have a sandwich out of the house. Exceptions perhaps Carnegie Deli (NYC, closed), Epstein’s Deli in White Plains, and the tortas made by Frontera Grill in Skokie.

Far too many options to call a favorite, as many depend on location or climate. Lots of great family memories involving picnics, something we always looked forward to and are on the verge of starting again with the next generation.

When I was 10 my favorite sandwich was a couple of slices of rye bread, 2-3 slices of fried bologna, 2-3 slices of salami, a couple of slices of cheese, some saltine crackers spread with cream cheese, some pickle slices, lettuce, tomato, onions, and deli mustard. On the side some chips, radishes, scallions, spicy giardiners. And a glass of milk.

Last edited:
Hot - hard to choose from a Cuban, Rueben or Philly Cheesesteak. But probably the Philly made with thin sliced tri-tip, onions, peppers, Jalapenos and Provolone.

Cold - Italian Sub with Jalapenos. Or even a tuna sandwich with pepperoncini.

Cold: BLT with fresh tomatoes from the garden, mayo only.
Hot: toss up between grilled cheese with tomatoes soup or one I make myself:
For Four-
Loaf of crusty French bread
spread mayo on one side, cream cheese on the other (I like veggie cream cheese)
add canadian bacon, sausage crumbles, black olives, provolone cheese OR
turkey slices, pastrami, swiss cheese, and mushrooms
wrap in foil and warm in oven.
Slice and serve!

Hot - Hamburger

Cold - ham & turkey sub, but it rates lower than another 20 or so hot sandwiches.

I just luv a well-made hot Reuben sandwich.

When I wanna a cold one, a good BLT hits the spot, although egg salad on simple white bread is a close third fave.

What are your favorite hot and cold sandwiches? (Got a recipe you'd like to share?)

I like my OWN version of the Reuben: Sourdough instead of rye. Plain Yellow Mustard instead of the "thousand island" dressing. Oh, and extra kraut. Oh, and even more EXTRA KRAUT!

Last edited:
Couple of others ... for a burger, In-N-Out in California. And especially a burger from the Squeeze Inn. Sinful, but oh so good.

Overseas if you are in Germany try a good döner kebab. Turkish - and the German "go to " for fast food. ALWAYS get them when visiting there.

I grew up in NYC so for me nothing can compare to a good hot pastrami on rye. The great ones are vanishingly rare these days, but I once found a deli in Cleveland that was right up there with the best from the Big Apple.

Cold? Well, that's kind of a weird one. I basically survived college on peanut butter and sardine sandwiches, and still have a soft spot for them.

I forgot 0 my favorite cold sandwich is a Blue Bunny ice cream sandwich.

Hot - not technically a sandwich, but Tony Packo's Hungarian hot dog (actually sausage) with their chili sauce, mustard and onions

Cold - a lot to choose from, today I'll go with an Italian sub with the works (from anywhere, but Jersey Mike's is really good)

My all-time favorite sandwich is a BLT. When the tomatoes are coming in like gangbusters in the garden, I have to stop myself from eating one every day.

Several years ago I discovered this recipe for a tomato sandwich made with a bacon/avocado aioli that is just killer. It stretches the bacon flavor so I don't feel guilty eating one (or two) every day when the tomatoes are at their height. Especially with a big slice of homemade sourdough!

https://food52.com/recipes/17710-a-tomato-sandwich-worthy-of-a-little-bacon

Cold - Italian sub - Provolone, ham, prosciuttini, cappacuolo, salami, and pepperoni, oil, vinegar, lettuce, tomato

Hot - Cheeseburger with the works

Agree on the cold, I love a good Italian style deli sandwich. Add in some banana peppers or other milder type for a little kick. For hot I will take a Pastrami and Corned Beef combo on rye bread, even better with a little provolone to go with the spicy deli mustard. Although I wouldn't complain about a good cheeseburger at any time as a hot sandwich.

Cold? Well, that's kind of a weird one. I basically survived college on peanut butter and sardine sandwiches, and still have a soft spot for them.

First time I’ve heard of that combination. Not intuitive, at least for me. I like both ingredients, so maybe I’ll give it a try.

I also got through college on peanut butter sandwiches, but mine were most often with cheddar cheese, and on the rare occasions I was beset with wealth, eggs.

Edit - out of curiosity I did a google search for peanut butter and sardines. Google reports 1.4M hits, so it’s not uncommon. Perhaps I’ve led a sheltered life.

Last edited:
Just one huh? That's the tough part.

Hot - Steak Sandwich on toast.

Cold - Leftover Steak Sandwich on toast.

I would enjoy all of the above. I am not a picky eater. Cannot choose just one.

Except the "peanut butter + sardines" sandwich. I like sardines fine, but not together with peanut butter. I probably can eat it, but 90% certain that I would not like it.

I did a google search for peanut butter and sardines. Google reports 1.4M hits, so it’s not uncommon. Perhaps I’ve led a sheltered life.

Except the "peanut butter + sardines" sandwich. I like sardines fine, but not together with peanut butter.

Well, I said it was weird. :LOL:

But picture yourself a penniless college student trying to get through the month without starving to death and it kind of makes a bit of sense. Or it did for me, over 50 years ago.

Hot: Grilled roast beef with melted American cheese, sauteed onions and beef gravy on a hero.

2nd place Hot: Grilled roast beef with melted mozzarella on a grilled garlic hero with crisp bacon.

Cold: Thin sliced turkey breast and ham, swiss cheese, sliced onions, oregano, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, oil & vinegar on a soft hero roll.

2nd place cold: Crisp thin sliced bacon, lettuce, Compari tomato on flash toasted white bread (crispy outside, soft inside) with generous mayo.

Oops, I forgot about that option. You can’t beat a real warm lobster roll (no Mayo or fillers) from a lobster pound in Maine. Toasted bun, big chunks of lobster, butter, salt & pepper, a squeeze of lemon, maybe some herbs.
You stole my favorite. A grilled Maine lobster roll with brown butter.

Cold -Lobster Club sandwich with [emoji3081], and B, L, T.

Here's one I doubt anyone has tried- Bacon and peanut butter. I've never seen it on a menu, but for bacon and peanut butter lovers, it's a keeper. Thanks to Mom!

Well, I said it was weird. :LOL:

But picture yourself a penniless college student trying to get through the month without starving to death and it kind of makes a bit of sense. Or it did for me, over 50 years ago.

My go-to "dinner" in college was Kraft mac & cheese with a can of tuna fish added... when I had the funds (and felt like eating "healthy") I would throw some peas in there too.

Back in the early 80's this dinner was less than a dollar, and had a lot of protein.

Regarding peanut butter sandwiches, I ate many back then too... almost all with honey on them.

My go-to "dinner" in college was Kraft mac & cheese with a can of tuna fish added... when I had the funds (and felt like eating "healthy") I would throw some peas in there too.
My cheap student sandwich dinner was some baked beans with cooked bacon on toast, open faced. Sounds weird but actually quite tasty if you use flavorful beans. Left me some money for important things like rent and beer:LOL:

Beer cooked bratwurst on a crusty warmed buttered bun, with a dash of hot mustard.

Grilled cheese on sourdough with good quality cheddar, lots of butter.

.... Hot - Manny’s Deli (Chicago) Corned Beef & Pastrami ...

Many years ago when I was regularly working in NYC, I had DW, DS and DD come down on spring break... they would tour during the day while I worked and I took some time off too.

One night we went to Carnegie Deli for dinner and DS ordered a pastrami sandwich. I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he first saw the sandwich.

Note: picture is from the internet and not the sandwich that was delivered to DS, but is very similiar.

13_09_27-verdini_carnegie-deli-182-2--55_custom-013a37fd2cf43f277df8031cf2f91025281179b5.jpg

Hot - Portillo's Italian Beef

Cold - Tuna salad on whole wheat (accompanied by a pickle and chips, of course!)

Here's one I doubt anyone has tried- Bacon and peanut butter. I've never seen it on a menu, but for bacon and peanut butter lovers, it's a keeper. Thanks to Mom!

Golden sunsets,

Post-college, I worked at BFGoodrich. Their office cafeteria had this on regular rotation at the 'sandwich station'. I enjoyed these sandwiches very much...salty AND crunchy. YUM!

omni

Many years ago when I was regularly working in NYC, I had DW, DS and DD come down on spring break... they would tour during the day while I worked and I took some time off too.

One night we went to Carnegie Deli for dinner and DS ordered a pastrami sandwich. I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he first saw the sandwich.

Note: picture is from the internet and not the sandwich that was delivered to DS, but is very similiar.

13_09_27-verdini_carnegie-deli-182-2--55_custom-013a37fd2cf43f277df8031cf2f91025281179b5.jpg

Carnegie deli was one of the best, albeit with sometimes brusque male waiters.

Back
Top Bottom