FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

I didn't say not to get one just said it didn't seem urgent at 6 months unlike the P vaccine..

Our governor just authorized booster shots for us oldsters and others at risk. Both Pfizer and Moderna, six months after the second shot.

That immediately makes me eligible for a Moderna booster, so I'll be getting one, probably next week.

Our governor just authorized booster shots for us oldsters and others at risk. Both Pfizer and Moderna, six months after the second shot.

That immediately makes me eligible for a Moderna booster, so I'll be getting one, probably next week.

How does that work? Your Governor can approve the Moderna booster even if the FDA/CDC has not approved it? It is my understanding that the Moderna booster is going to be 50% of the normal vaccine. Is that what you will get?

How does that work? Your Governor can approve the Moderna booster even if the FDA/CDC has not approved it? It is my understanding that the Moderna booster is going to be 50% of the normal vaccine. Is that what you will get?

Wondering the same thing. How does gubner overrule the US gummint?

I don't know any more than what was in this morning's newspaper:
Gov. Beshear outlines COVID-19 vaccine booster recommendations

There is no difference than CDC recommendations in that article. Moderna booster is still for immunocompromised.

Beshear said that in adherence with the latest guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, his administration recommends that at-risk groups of people who received both shots of the Pfizer vaccine get a booster six months after their second shot.
……
The governor also clarified that people who are immunocompromised are advised to get a third shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least 28 days after their second shot. Beshear said this would apply to people who are undergoing cancer treatment or who are taking a high dose of an immunosuppressant.

Last edited:
I don't know any more than what was in this morning's newspaper:
Gov. Beshear outlines COVID-19 vaccine booster recommendations

The way I read the article is that the Ky Governor is just following the FDA/CDC. The Moderna vaccine is available in Ky for immune compromised people (certain cancers, organ transplant, HIV, people on immune suppressing drugs)., which is what the FDA approved about a month ago (my immune compromised DH got his Moderna booster about a month ago). The way I read the Article, Moderna is still not available in Kentucky for those over 65 who are not immune compromised.
Braumeister, maybe you can qualify for the Moderna as an immune compromised person?

DH and I got our third Phizer shot on Friday 9/24, the first day officially sanctioned. I had scheduled them(CVS) in advance anticipating the final approval from Welensky on Thursday. DH's arm was very slightly sore, for a day, but I had zero side effects. We could have gotten the flu shot the same day, but we declined. We have appointments for 10/6 at a drive in clinic set up by our hospital system. Our hospital system also emailed us on Friday for the booster, so no bottlenecks in the system, like the first shot.

I'm relieved. We are still being very cautious, with masking in public indoor locations and will continue this practice until the current numbers subside.
DH got his Pfizer booster today. Had appointment at CVS. Arrived and they had to prepare it. They said it’s the first shot of the day, and they haven’t been giving out many. They told him he’s one of the “early” ones.

As audreyh1 says above, you won't be eligible for a Moderna booster yet unless you have the stated issues with your immune system. Those are the only people approved for Moderna boosters as of today. If you have those immunity issues, then yes, go get your booster next week. If you don't you'll need to wait a bit longer.

The last paragraph of the article clarifies this. The rest of the article applies to Pfizer shots only.

Given that waning immunity for Moderna is very small, I’m not sure it’s so critical unless the individual is imunocompromised. Nevertheless a half dose Moderna booster is expected to be available before too long.

Got my 3rd, booster Pfizer shot today. It was so painless I thought he's forgotten to poke me. The place was crazy busy (Fred Meyer pharmacy) and pharmacist said he was running his butt off giving booster shots.

Got my 3rd, booster Pfizer shot today. It was so painless I thought he's forgotten to poke me. The place was crazy busy (Fred Meyer pharmacy) and pharmacist said he was running his butt off giving booster shots.
That's good to hear.

While I am sorry for the over worked pharmacist, I think that is good news indeed!

The pharmacist said my booster reaction would be a lot like the second shot and indeed, about 24 hours after the booster, I started feeling chills and joint aches, then very tired. I have slept about 3 hours and feel better. Hope this is the worst of it.

The pharmacist said my booster reaction would be a lot like the second shot and indeed, about 24 hours after the booster, I started feeling chills and joint aches, then very tired. I have slept about 3 hours and feel better. Hope this is the worst of it.

I hope the worst of it is over for you.

I am getting my Pfizer booster Saturday afternoon. I guess I'd better start getting my nest on the couch ready now. :D

After the second shot I had a low-grade fever, lots of joint aches, and extreme fatigue for about 48 hours. IIRC, I slept for 15 hours the day after shot #2. Not looking forward to another possible weekend like that, but it still beats the alternative.

Scheduled my booster at Kaiser Modesto tomorrow. Cool. Triple vacc'd - :)

Had my Pfizer booster shot Monday (Sep 27) along with the flu shot, one in each arm. Both arms got sore by evening and had low grade fever with slight headache on Tuesday so I attempted to sleep in a little but gave up after 2.5 hours tossing. I usually go years between any kind of headache. Didn't do much most of the day and by Wednesday, all was well, back to working on the front door replacing some water damaged trim with PVC. I did feel both shots for a change when they were administered but believe it due to the technique of the Pharmacist more than anything else.

Had my Pfizer booster shot Monday (Sep 27) along with the flu shot, one in each arm. Both arms got sore by evening and had low grade fever with slight headache on Tuesday so I attempted to sleep in a little but gave up after 2.5 hours tossing. I usually go years between any kind of headache. Didn't do much most of the day and by Wednesday, all was well, back to working on the front door replacing some water damaged trim with PVC. I did feel both shots for a change when they were administered but believe it due to the technique of the Pharmacist more than anything else.

My flu shot really hurt going in this time. I just assume the "blahs" the next day mean the shot(s) is/(are) working but YMMV.

My flu shot really hurt going in this time. I just assume the "blahs" the next day mean the shot(s) is/(are) working but YMMV.

Interestingly my flu shot also had more side effects than usual. Generally I have very little reaction to flu shots - yesterdays however was pretty rocky. 4 hours after jab, tired, sleepy, fever and aches. They all passed after about 12 hours but it took me entirely by surprise.

I didn't have much of a reaction to the second shot and my "unofficial" booster (full strength Moderna) did nothing more than give me a sore are. The very first shot made be pretty tired the first day, however.

Got my Pfizer booster today. The post booster fatigue was worse than the mild fatigue I had from the second shot. For the second shot, I had mild fatigue the next day for most the day. For the booster today, I came home and basically had to sleep for almost two hours. We shall see what tomorrow brings. The arm is about the same soreness as the second dose.. The pharmacist had said that many people were reporting greater side effects with the third Pfizer shot.

I forgot to ask the pharmacist what the period is after the third shot for the efficacy to build back up, and have not found a satisfactory answer online. I'm working the early voting polls in two weeks, so I assuming it should be kicked in by then.

Got my Pfizer booster 2 days ago. Mild side effects including joint pain and a stiff sore neck. With the first 2 injections had only swollen tender lymph glands under my ear on the side where I got the shot. That might be developing now, too. All well worth it!

Got my Pfizer booster on Friday morning. No real side affects until I woke up around midnight with the chills. That lasted 90 minutes or so. Then on Saturday, I was tired most of the day with minor body aches and had a 2-hour sweat session in the mid-afternoon that appeared out of nowhere while I was sitting in my recliner watching TV.

Things seem back to normal today, Sunday.

I had less effect from the booster than my second dose. Just a little back ache, arm wasn't even as sore. But the tech was so good I didn't even feel the stick. That might hove something to do with it eh?

Back
Top Bottom