FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

Here is the source, and I'm thinking saying after 4 months sounds worse than in months 5 to 7.
My disappointment is the possibility of needing a booster every 6 months. If some other vaccine ends up having a longer lasting effect, perhaps I'll switch.

"Effectiveness declined gradually thereafter, with the decline accelerating after the fourth month to reach approximately 20% in months 5 through 7 after the second dose. Effectiveness against symptomatic infection was higher than effectiveness against asymptomatic infection but waned similarly. "

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114114?query=featured_home

I don’t expect an every 6 months booster because I think, based on what virologists have said, that the wide time frame gives a much stronger response. And the vaccines were doing great with the initial and the alpha virus before the much more contagious, high viral load delta came along.

But if it come to annual boosters or whatever, fine with me. Minor issue.

Here's in interesting graph of Covid deaths comparing non vaccinated, two shots of Pfizer, and two shots + booster.

Attachments

• booster.jpg
    booster.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting study with some useful references. One of the graphs (Figure 2A) shows that after 4 months following a 2nd Pfizer dose, efficacy against Delta declined to 51.7% percent. The study I cited from the Lancet had efficacy after 4 months at 53%, so they're both pretty similar for the 4 month time period. It's the 20% vs 47% efficacy against infection after 6 months which is the big disparity. Both studies found, however, the protection against severe covid 6 months after full vaccination remained at 90%, so that's reassuring.

The Qatar study also said this:

"PCR testing in Qatar is done on a mass scale, with approximately 5% of the population being tested every week.5 Approximately 75% of those who receive a diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection at present do so not because of the appearance of symptoms but because of routine testing. It is possible that many asymptomatic infections were diagnosed among vaccinated participants that otherwise would have been missed. The higher ascertainment of infection may have lowered the effectiveness estimates."

Also, the Qatar study went through August whereas the Kaiser SoCal study went through July, so there was a longer period with significant Delta cases in Qatar vs. SoCal.

Please remember that these vaccines were never meant to eliminate COVID infections , but rather to prevent severe outcomes and hospitaliztions from overwhelming the health care systems. the data continues to show that all of the vaccines stay effective at preventing severe COVID outcomes at 6 months, so that remains the metric that I watch. From what I have seen, it is entirely possible that many of us will be exposed to COVID, but if you are vaccinated the impact will be significantly lessened.

A Canadian study reported today said that even effectiveness against infection remained over 90% after 4 months if the first two doses are separated. Our knowledge of this virus will continue to evolve as we learn more over time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cana...s-mixing-matching-covid-19-vaccines-1.6205993

I had my Pfiser booster a couple days ago. I noticed it burned when administered. The next day I felt punky, but not sick. Tired and thirsty. Some joint pain - couldn't make a fist. Gone next day. No reaction with first two.

I don’t expect an every 6 months booster because I think, based on what virologists have said, that the wide time frame gives a much stronger response. And the vaccines were doing great with the initial and the alpha virus before the much more contagious, high viral load delta came along.

But if it come to annual boosters or whatever, fine with me. Minor issue.

Good point, the 6 month gap between the first set of shots and the booster might make the booster much more effective at lasting longer, maybe I fretting over nothing. :flowers:

We just heard from the vaccine research team that the participants in the mixed vaccine trial that my wife and I are in will be unblinded next week in order that we can all receive booster shots when called. The email asked us if we would be kind enough to schedule a final blood test before receiving the booster to update the trial data they have collected. We won't be eligible for a booster here until end of October at the earliest so delaying the booster until after we give our last blood sample on November 9th is no big deal.

Looking forward to finding out which vaccine we received as our 2nd dose. (AZ was the first jab).

We each got our flu jabs yesterday, and had much more of a reaction than the 2nd dose of the Covid vaccine. Sore arm overnight and a bit achy today.

I had my booster shot. At first I was zipping through the day after with none of the soreness and fatigue I had experienced after the first two Pfizer shots. But, that was short lived. Later that day within about 1/2 hour I went from the fit active guy I normally am to some fellow suffering from a bad case of the flu. Sore muscles and extreme fatigue plagued me. I went to bed and slept for about 3 hours. This lasted about 8 hours, the rest of the day. When I woke up the next morning, all was well.

Sneaky devil, that vaccine. But well worth the price to have those antibodies protecting me from far worse.

We just heard from the vaccine research team that the participants in the mixed vaccine trial that my wife and I are in will be unblinded next week ...

The secret is finally being revealed! I bet you're excited. Let us know when you find out. :)

So, spouse and I had a third Moderna about 6 weeks ago - felt the same as had after 1 and 2. One day down, low fever, sluggish. Still being careful masking! (tidbit of data is that Moderna normal dosage is 100ug and Pfizer is 30ug - lots of data coming in the next couple of years - and, we night also see a better Flu vaccine using mRNA technology)
Did they give the normal dosage or reduced?

The secret is finally being revealed! I bet you're excited. Let us know when you find out. :)

We are both looking forward to hearing what we’ve had and I will let you know what it was. We are both convinced we had AZ again since we had absolutely zero side effects from the 2nd shot.

We are both looking forward to hearing what we’ve had and I will let you know what it was. We are both convinced we had AZ again since we had absolutely zero side effects from the 2nd shot.

That would make me think I was part of the control group, we will see!

If by control group you mean a placebo, then no, we definitely had a vaccine. AZ, Moderna or Novavax everyone in the trial received a vaccine dose.

Here is a summary of the trial we have been in.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/mix-and-match-vaccine-trial-108890.html

My wife and I volunteered for this, have passed the initial online screening and go to a hospital in Newcastle in a few days time for final screening and hopefully receive our 2nd jab as part of this trial. With all that has been going on with our son we figured volunteering for this would be a little something we can give back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56730526

A major UK trial looking at whether Covid vaccines can be mixed with different types of jabs used for first and second doses is being expanded.
Combining vaccines might give broader, longer-lasting immunity against the virus and new variants of it, and offer more flexibility to vaccine rollout.
Adults over 50 who have had a first dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca can apply to take part in the Com-Cov study.

Their second dose could be the same again, or a shot of Moderna or Novavax.
Chief investigator on the trial Prof Matthew Snape, from the Oxford Vaccine Group, said he hoped to recruit 1,050 volunteers who had already received one dose on the NHS in the past eight to 12 weeks.

More than 800 people are already taking part in the research and have received two doses of either Pfizer, AstraZeneca or a mix.

Results of this first stage are expected next month and the expanded trial should have some reportable findings by June or July - although the study will run for a year.

Had my booster shot for Pfizer yesterday and I have been cold and tired with a sore arm. Much better than the last one.

DW (teacher) goes for the 3rd Pfizer shot today.

I'm scheming how to get mine here.

Or I could make a "run for the [state] border" for my first Moderna shot since you don't have to be a resident over there to get vaccinated.

Moderna Booster? Maybe Not Right Away...

In way I guess this is good news since the protection by the Moderna vaccine persists quite well. But a lukewarm reception by the FDA for the Moderna booster isn't encouraging for those like me who were looking forward to getting one soon. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/12/us/politics/fda-review-moderna-booster.html

The study did not find a statistically significant difference in rates of severe Covid-19 — and there were only 19 such cases. Overall, Dr. El Sahly said, “the findings do not indicate that a booster is needed.”

4 days since booster. No side effects, same as shots 1 and 2. Feeling fortunate.

DW and I got our Pfizer boosters yesterday. We both have sore arms, but not too bad. We booked a cruise for late January!

I got my Moderna booster yesterday. I'm noticing soreness in my arms (I also got this year's flu shot), but not much beyond that (yet).

In way I guess this is good news since the protection by the Moderna vaccine persists quite well. But a lukewarm reception by the FDA for the Moderna booster isn't encouraging for those like me who were looking forward to getting one soon. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/12/us/politics/fda-review-moderna-booster.html

Basically they are saying Moderna is so good a booster is a complete waste of effort and will not statistically give you any more protection, you are already practically as good as a 3xpfizer person. That should be great!
Perhaps it just needs a longer window, say over a year, before it becomes a need. And if so, in the long run, more will try to switch to Moderna vs. Pfizer.

I would, and I'm glad my parents got Moderna.

Basically they are saying Moderna is so good a booster is a complete waste of effort and will not statistically give you any more protection, you are already practically as good as a 3xpfizer person. That should be great!
Perhaps it just needs a longer window, say over a year, before it becomes a need. And if so, in the long run, more will try to switch to Moderna vs. Pfizer.

Exactly!

Im glad I got Moderna and don't understand Moderna people rushing out to get a full dose booster.

A better question would be, should the P people go out a get a full dose of Moderna instead of a third P shot.

A better question would be, should the P people go out a get a full dose of Moderna instead of a third P shot.

Right now it's all guesses. Often, when it comes to the field of human health, what we believe makes sense, doesn't. I remember methodically wiping down all my groceries for months. It made sense. It was also mostly a big waste of time.

My sense is that the data would probably show that ANY additional vaccination following ANY of the vaccines would yield some increase - but, this broad a statement is not likely to be acceptable to the various government agencies until additional data - a LOT more - additional data is available.

Following this logic, a third Moderna dose is reasonable and as it doesn't cause harm, seems even more logical. ie some improvement, but no side effect.

If I had received the J&J version, I would certainly shift to the two Moderna mRNA series - and, if this was not available, the Pfizer mRNA. If none of the mRNA versions was available, I would certainly get a second J&J.

Back
Top Bottom