Feral cat noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love cats, but we don't feel feral cats unless we plan to catch them, neuter them and adopt them. We have done this with 5 cats over the years and it took awhile to gain their confidence to bring them indoors. Since one of my cats was run over by a car, I no longer feel comfortable feeding cats and then letting them roam. We keep them inside. Otherwise, I don't have alot of experience with feral cats and don't know what to suggest, other that what you've said - trap and neuter and see if that does the trick. I know a howling cat, wanting to mate, can make a sound that sends chills up your spine. If you got a dog, the barking would keep you awake as well, so that doesn't seem like a great idea.

In my city, some families believe if they line the border of their yards with old milk jugs filled with colored water, that cats will stay out of their yards. Somehow I don't believe that.

Trapping is the way to go, especially as in Oahu you shouldn't have to worry too much about trapping unintended wildlife. I had the same sort of problem awhile ago and tried the traps. Unfortunately I didn't trap the cats but I did get 3 racoons and a skunk. Getting an angry skunk out of a live trap is no fun at all.

Motion activated water spray?
After some more covert surveillance (periscopes no longer required) it's clear that the cats spend their time on the perimeter walls and the sidewalks. A sprinkler wouldn't have much clearance to work with and would have to be pretty fast to charge up and spew before the cat trotted past. We'll see what we can work out around our side-yard palm trees next to the low wall.

Maybe I should just hook the motion detector into our sprinkler system by the wall. The hissing & gurgling might drive them away before the water gets going.

I will find a way to use that somewhere in our yard someday! Perhaps when the birds go after our tomatoes?

We're going to go with the trap. $100 deposit at the Humane Society gets a "free" trap for seven days.

I'm hoping that mongoose and mockingbirds are smart enough to avoid traps, and don't care for the taste of tuna. No other cat-size critters to worry about around here.

And we want pictures of everything you catch.

And we want pictures of everything you catch.
Furtive humans rustling in the underbrush with flashlights, screaming cats waking up the neighbors, clanking metallic sounds, and camera flashes going off at 2:30 AM.

What could possibly go bad with that scenario?

no, not .22LR, try the .22 short. Its subsonic and almost perfectly quiet. None of that loud "snap" you get with .22LR.

Eventually we catch up on sleep, but it takes a big chunk out of the day and we don't feel much like scampering around on honey-do projects....
Exactly. That is what I do. I say that the screeching feral cat will eventually get satisfied and meanwhile all project are on hold...:ROFLMAO:

I have to confess to sleep-deprived first-order thinking.

I figured it'd be easy: catch cat, take cat/trap to Humane Society, return home to catch up on sleep.

The neighbors said they couldn't bring in their semi-domesticated feral kitties because their housecats are still fighting them over territorial rights. They know it's a problem (I'm referring to the humans) but it's still being solved (apparently not by the cats). But they don't mind that we're setting a trap (still referring to the humans), so neighborhood harmony has been preserved.

We went to the Humane Society and paid our $100 (refundable) deposit for a seven-day [-]trapping license[/-] cage loan. Luckily they have a 24/7 watch and will accept critters at any time. Driving "all the way" to town at 2:30 AM is actually one of the best traffic-free times to do it.

We were told that the trap works best if it looks like a tunnel with a yummy prize at the other end-- put the trap on the ground (not the concrete sidewalk) and cover the trap with a blanket. Maybe it's like crawling into a dead critter's burrow?

The first problem is that using the trap is robbing me of what little sleep I was getting. If I hear a cat within 100 yards of the house then I'm immediately awake and alert to the possibility of imminent capture. If I don't hear a cat within 100 yards then my spouse is sure to hear it and wake me up. And in the extremely unlikely event that we both miss it, when I wake up in the middle of the night I feel compelled to go walk the trap line to [-]get a head start on the drive before morning rush hour[/-] minimize trapped-kitty suffering. Then I have to go back inside to get a flashlight to see what I'm doing, and remember to put on slippers in case of centipedes.

The second problem is catching the right cat. (A subcategory of this problem is releasing the wrong cat.) When I dragged my sleep-deprived assets outside at 2:30 AM to check the bait I was shocked to find a trapped cat staring back at me. It immediately started yowling angrily at me (probably cat language for "Shut off that damned light!!"). Unfortunately it was the wrong cat.

Releasing the trapdoor takes two hands and some coordination. The top of the outer door has to be pushed several inches into the cage before the bottom of the inner door can be pulled up. Note that the cat is quite eager to assist in this process and will actively encourage you with all its claws, I mean paws. It got pretty exciting when the cat decided to squeeze out the bottom just as I let go of the (spring-return) door to get a better grip. We ended up with a very upset cat, a bent cage door coated with fur, and two bloody hands. But the cat made it out (it must've collapsed its ribcage like a cockroach?!?) and raced away. I stanched the bleeding, straightened the door, and rebaited the trap.

I can't imagine what the pictures would've been like, let alone the audio track.

Not two hours later we'd caught another cat. This time I was ready with a ruler (to push in the top outer door) and a dental pick (to pull out the bottom inner door). Much to my disgust it was the same damn (wrong) cat. Slow learner. It was as pissed off by its stupidity as I was. Hopefully we won't see it again this week.

We'd been baiting the trap with a bowl of tuna. In the morning it occurred to me that if we actually caught the right cat then we'd be driving it straight to the Humane Society, where they'd probably leave it in a holding area for the morning vet. They'd be in no hurry to open it and I certainly wouldn't be very interested in driving downtown again a day or two later to retrieve my bowl. (Like I said, first-order thinking.) So tonight we're putting the tuna in an empty yogurt container.

We also realized that we're inadvertently making the yard too inviting. Our property has a lava-rock perimeter wall surrounded by greenery. To make it easier to prune the bushes, we've been cutting them away from the top of the wall. Unfortunately that also makes it the equivalent of a four-lane kitty elevated expressway, secure from dogs and other night creatures. So we're going to let the landscaping grow on top of the wall (bougainvillea and palm trees) to stop the traffic.

Spouse has a new set of earplugs for tonight. At least one of us will get some sleep.

Last edited:
If only your activities could be posted on youtube!

Thanks for the update, Nords. I've done some trapping and currently have an extra cat for my trouble, thanks to catching the wrong one!

I hope I speak for many of the informed, educated, compassionate, and adult people who participate on this board when I say that it is very kind and reasonable of you to to attempt to catch and carry this cat to the humane society.

As for the socially stunted and imbecilic people who think this is an ideal venue to show your puerile tendencies regarding killing people or animals, thanks for shining such a bright light on your adolescent attitudes.

I'd think that driving in a traffic jam would be preferable to getting up in the middle of the night.

Nords, thank you for making extraordinary efforts to handle this situation in the most humane way possible. In my opinion, this demonstrates you are a man of honor and compassion. I’ve observed these traits in many of your other posts, including how you’ve helped your elderly father and the care you provided for your daughter’s pet rabbit.

I’m dismayed some posters find joy in cracking jokes about shooting cats, knowing full well many members here love them and support the efforts of organizations such as the Humane Society. Before you shake your heads and think “good grief, another crazy cat lady”, consider the following famous cat lovers:

Ian Anderson, of the band Jethro Tull. A page on his official website it dedicated to his love of cats.

Pope Benedict, XVI, Reigning head of the Roman Catholic Church. Cardinal Roger Mahony, archbishop of Los Angeles, who was in Rome for the pope’s inauguration, said “The street talk that the pope loves cats is incorrect. The pope adores cats.”

President George W. Bush. India, the Bush family cat lived with them in the White House. When India died at the age of 18, the following statement was released: "India was a beloved member of the Bush family for almost two decades. She will be greatly missed."

Sir Winston Churchill, UK Prime Minister during WWII. Churchill's marmalade cat Jock slept with his master, shared his dining table, and attended numerous war-time Cabinet meetings. If Jock was late for meals, Churchill would send servants to find him, waiting to eat until the cat was present. Jock was said to have been with his master when he died. Churchill also had a cat, Nelson, named after the famous British admiral.

Ernest Hemmingway, Author. Hemingway shared his Key West home with more than 30 cats. Today many of the numerous cats that inhabit the grounds still possess the unusual six toes. Hemingway once said, "A cat has absolute emotional honesty; human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not."

Robert E. Lee, Confederate Army General. Lee had several cats that he referred to often in letters to his family: "I am very solitary and my only company is my dog and cats. Spec [a dog] has become so jealous now that he will hardly let me look at the cats." He chose cats to share his tent at CampCooper partly for mousing, and partly for company.

John Lennon, Musician. The famous Beatle loved cats; as a boy he reportedly cycled to the fishmonger's to buy hake for his cat. He named his first cat Mimi after his cat-loving aunt. He and his first wife Cynthia had up to ten cats.

Charles Lindbergh, Aviator. Charles Lindbergh's cat Patsy occasionally accompanied him on flights (though not on the flight that made him famous). A Spanish stamp commemorating his record-breaking flight from New York to Paris shows Patsy watching as his plane took off.

Freddie Mercury, of the band Queen. Delilah, released on Queen's album "Innuendo," is a song Mercury penned for his favorite housecat, a female tortoiseshell named Delilah. When on tour, he would call London to talk to his several cats. Freddie dedicated his first solo album, "Mr. Bad Guy," to his beloved cats (Tom, Jerry, Oscar, Tiffany, Delilah, Goliath, Miko, Romeo, Lily).

Muhammad, founder of the Muslim faith. Due primarily to the love Muhammad displayed for his favorite cat Muezza, Muslims are traditionally encouraged to regard cats as lovable and cherished creatures. Mistreating an animal is seen as among the most severe of all crimes in Islam.

Florence Nightingale, Humanitarian. One of Florence's cats was a large Persian named "Bismarck". She owned more than 60 cats in her lifetime.

Dr. Albert Schweitzer, Nobel Peace Prize winner. He rescued a kitten after he heard her plaintive "meow" under the floor of a building under construction. Named Sizi, she sat on his desk as he wrote, often falling asleep on his left arm. During these times Dr. Schweitzer, who was left-handed, wrote prescriptions with his right hand. This went on reportedly for 23 years. Another cat, Piccolo, slept on papers stacked on Dr. Schweitzer's desk; if someone needed the papers, they were required to wait till the cat awoke. Schweitzer once said: "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."

Mark Twain, Author. Twain kept eleven cats at his farm in Connecticut. Twain wrote, "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."

Nords, the repeated catching of a cat may not indicate stupidity. After all, you are laying out a buffett and will be along shortly to let him out when he is done eating. The yowling may have been because he wasn't finished eating.

How about more active discouragement of use of the cat highway? Maybe a barrier on the top of the wall or temporarily gluing something on top of the wall that they will not like walking on?

I hate to say it, but with active feeders nearby this is likely a Sisyphean task.

....The second problem is catching the right cat. (A subcategory of this problem is releasing the wrong cat.) When I dragged my sleep-deprived assets outside at 2:30 AM to check the bait I was shocked to find a trapped cat staring back at me. It immediately started yowling angrily at me (probably cat language for "Shut off that damned light!!"). Unfortunately it was the wrong cat....

Not two hours later we'd caught another cat. This time I was ready with a ruler (to push in the top outer door) and a dental pick (to pull out the bottom inner door). Much to my disgust it was the same damn (wrong) cat.

Is this also a feral cat? Could you take it to the Humane Society too (as long as you're up all night anyway why not hit the highway)?

I will freely admit I am not a cat person, but I am a pet lover and would try hard to remediate situations like this if I felt it was likely to be successful in a humane fashion. Having seen the cat colony on my parents' property (and they have been trapping and spaying for years), I generally take a dim view of this strategy as a way to deal with ferals (who are frankly something of a menace to the local birds, etc.). Add in the fact that this is a (hopefully) lone male missing an eye and the fact that there are people feeding in the area and you have a situation that is not likely to be resolved with some trapping.

Thanks for the update. This needs to be cross posted to the "What Did You Do Today" topic.

As one of the cat lovers here I'm interested in your efforts. Hope you and DW sleep better tonight.

Have you considered multiple traps (parallel processing)?

+1

There are a number of famous folk that Purron mentioned whose love of cats I had no idea about. Thank you for enlightening us!

Ok you can add me to the list of those who do not feel enlightened in any way seeing a list of people who like cats. Not sure that anyone seeing that General Lee or John Lennon liked cats is going to change the way they feel about cats based on such a list.

I'm not one who feels any desire to own a cat, however we do have a number of cats who wander freely over our property and I admire the way they strut their stuff as if they don't have a care in the world.

Ok you can add me to the list of those who do not feel enlightened in any way seeing a list of people who like cats. Not sure that anyone seeing that General Lee or John Lennon liked cats is going to change the way they feel about cats based on such a list.

Is it really that much fun to piss in someone's cornflakes?

Is it really that much fun to piss in someone's cornflakes?
That reminds me of something Shirley Manson, singer from the band Garbage, said that she did to an ex-boyfriend once.

I'll spare you the details :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom