Fidelity Free Turbo Tax Ripoff

foxfirev5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tonight I logged onto my "free turbo tax premier" link from Fidelity. After inputting all info from my 1099's etc. I was asked for my cc info. This has never happened in prior years. In any event just the fact that I have to call them has negated any positives from the promo.

I think I'll just file a paper form in crayon and hope I get my $6 refund.

I purchased TT Home and Business at the end of Nov 2018. Cost was $79.99, and I was able to download, install, and start projecting in about 10 minutes.
.:)
Over the last 6-8 weeks I've updated and used new forms as they were installed by the program. It has been interesting to use the software, and monitor conversations on E-R.org.
..:D
Now that the actual 1099's, W-2's and others are rolling in, I can experience the joy of having filled in pretty good estimates of income and deductions.
...:cool:

I purchased TT Home and Business at the end of Nov 2018. Cost was $79.99, and I was able to download, install, and start projecting in about 10 minutes.
.:)
Over the last 6-8 weeks I've updated and used new forms as they were installed by the program. It has been interesting to use the software, and monitor conversations on E-R.org.
..:D
Now that the actual 1099's, W-2's and others are rolling in, I can experience the joy of having filled in pretty good estimates of income and deductions.
...:cool:
Cool story, bro.

What's that got to do with being asked for a CC when it was supposed to be a free copy?

That's bad news. I know I was disappointed when Vanguard stopped providing TT for free ($AUM dependent) some years ago...

Tonight I logged onto my "free turbo tax premier" link from Fidelity. After inputting all info from my 1099's etc. I was asked for my cc info. This has never happened in prior years. In any event just the fact that I have to call them has negated any positives from the promo.

In the other thread about Fidelity TT, it is stated several times that while you do need to input a credit card before the download of the program, there are no charges. It is free cost.

In case anyone else with this problem comes across this thread, the last time someone asked about this I suggested that they try using Visa number 4111 1111 1111 1111 with any future expiration date and any 3-digit CVV number and was told that worked.

This is a standard CC number that's used for testing payment applications. It passes the validation tests for "do we have a real cc number" and will let you continue with the program, but it would fail if you tried to use it for something that does cost money, like e-filing your state tax return.

Perhaps the free copy is the plain vanilla Deluxe version; and if you need to upgrade to the golden slipper Premier version, they charge for the difference. Or you may have to pay for your state version, despite getting a free state copy with your CD purchase.

Perhaps the free copy is the plain vanilla Deluxe version; and if you need to upgrade to the golden slipper Premier version, they charge for the difference. Or you may have to pay for your state version, despite getting a free state copy with your CD purchase.

I doubt it.

The free copy I got was the premier version with a free state and as someone said before I was asked for a CC number but the charge was still $0.

As of this morning there are few forms that are not available from IRS with another update scheduled for 1/29.

Asking for a credit card number could be one way to verify who you are. They don't make a charge but do get name/address info to compare to their records. Free is free!

Asking for a credit card number could be one way to verify who you are. They don't make a charge but do get name/address info to compare to their records. Free is free!

I suspect this is the right answer.

The free copy I got was the premier version with a free state and as someone said before I was asked for a CC number but the charge was still $0.

As of this morning there are few forms that are not available from IRS with another update scheduled for 1/29.

This is my experience as well.

No, that is not the case. The program is free, but you have to use the promo link initially from your Fido account. If you log in any other way, you’re on your own.
The credit charge is $0.
This thread is #fakenews

Last edited:

You should change the title of the thread or have the mods do it. It is not accurate.

You should change the title of the thread or have the mods do it. It is not accurate.

Why is it not accurate? I've used the free Premier edition from Fidelity for a number years and never had to , nor would I provide a cc number. Now the entire process completing the return was completed (online version) and the payment screen stops the process. I used the link provided when I logged onto my Fidelity account and the process went along as usual until the end. For whatever reason I did not get what was offered.

Anyway I completed my return via the stone age pen and paper and it's in the mail. A much better use of my time than bothering to call Fidelity. With that I'm done for this year. Next year should be considerably less complicated with no planned sales, capital gains or losses etc. Time to move on.

Why is it not accurate?.

It is not accurate because you are blaming Fidelity for your inability to claim the free copy of TT Premier correctly. It is therefore NOT a ripoff. Maybe bad directions, but not a ripoff. Hundreds (probably thousands) of users were able to obtain the software just fine (myself included). :peace:

Why is it not accurate? I've used the free Premier edition from Fidelity for a number years and never had to , nor would I provide a cc number. Now the entire process completing the return was completed (online version) and the payment screen stops the process. I used the link provided when I logged onto my Fidelity account and the process went along as usual until the end. For whatever reason I did not get what was offered...

WADR, this sounds to me like a case of user error... or user frustration with a somewhat convoluted process.

I'm not seeing anyone else chime in to support your claim with a similar experience. And how is it a "ripoff" if you didn't pay anything?

I got the download/desktop version of Premier for free, including 5 free federal e-files. Same as every other year. I just confirmed the free e-files by looking at the 'File a Return' tab.

Good points all. I'll take the rap for this one. However I have no idea why this year the link or something went wrong. However there is way I can bypass the c.c pay screen. Any way the paper forms were a good exercise. Sorry for any aggravation. It is a good lesson to focus on the big issues and not let minutia set me off. Time to move on

Back
Top Bottom