Fidelity free Turbotax offer

Download Procedural Question --

For a first-time download on a purchase thru Amazon, should I already have my Intuit login established ??

Ah, the annual debate that has no answer.

I got free TT in 2016-17 but not in 2018 with over $2M and 30+ years of loyalty with them, the reason being that "your relationship with Fidelity is insufficient" in exactly those words. I will never forget that. I moved over half my Fidelity assets to Schwab, I told Fidelity why, and that Schwab gave me several thousand dollars to do so. All because they couldn't/wouldn't give me a $50 perk.

My Fidelity assets are up to almost $1.5M again, and I still only "qualify" for 20% off of the $89 list price of TT Deluxe, not including state e-file. That's a discount available to pretty much everyone, and it's still a price that only an idiot would pay, as Amazon always has a deal right after Christmas (in 2022 it was $37).

Happy holidays to all.

Last edited:
Got mine just now. When I searched for TurboTax it didn’t return the link.

So I went back to the home page and scrolled down.

Clicking that link and logging into TurboTax.com, it didn’t bring up the download link.

Went back to the Fidelity site and clicked the link again and then it worked.

BTW, the checkout shows original price of $105 minus $100 for net $5 cost. Crazy how much they charge.

Now I have to update the OS on my main iMac to at least Mac OS Monterey 12 …

$105 is the full price. Most authorized retailers sell it heavily discounted.

Yeah annoying how TurboTax always requires the latest MacOS. Fortunately DH always has a laptop running the latest.

Thanks this is nice to know for future. For 2023 tax year, we will have CPA do our taxes due to winding down our rental business...but for 2024 tax year and beyond I plan to do our own taxes. We have over $1M with FIDO so hopefully they do this again next year!

Interesting new development on the TT front.
A few days ago, it just disappeared from my summary page. I called and they stated that there is a tech glitch with the product starting from Jan 3rd. They also mentioned that the criteria changes each year.
I explained the yearly discussion on this site and the fact that the decision was ALREADY made for me by having it on the summary page.
They said to wait one week.
I will bully them back into it if necessary.

Same here . . . It disappeared. A rep, by phone, told me to wait a week (that was over a week ago); that things would be resolved before the end of the year. And the internal message I sent that same December day, accompanied by a PDF with screen shots documenting my failed journey, has, to date, gone unanswered.

The best I could do from within Fidelity's site was to search for "TurboTax" . . . which pulled up a link that ultimately led to a 20% discount. Better than a 10% discount I found at another FI . . . but still . . .

Last edited:
Same here . . . It disappeared. A rep, by phone, told me to wait a week (that was over a week ago); that things would be resolved before the end of the year. And the internal message I sent that same December day, accompanied by a PDF with screen shots documenting my failed journey, has, to date, gone unanswered.

The best I could do from within Fidelity's site was to search for "TurboTax" . . . which pulled up a link that ultimately led to a 20% discount. Better than a 10% discount I found at another FI . . . but still . . .

Yeah, don't totally buy the tech issue.
I will follow up as such.
A technique I use generically is to state that I am retired with lots of time and I will be calling you every day if necessary. This works most of the time.

I also had the free TT offer disappear off my summary page. I figured it would show back up soon, but will definitely start bugging my rep if it's not back by the time the tax forms are ready to go.

What is the reason that people wait instead of downloading it when it first appears? I can't understand that, since it will offer to update itself whenever you open it.

Glad I downloaded last week.

Maybe they have a pre-determined limit. They notify clients in tiers until the limit is reached, which would explain why some see the offer earlier than others. Once the limit is reached they cut it off for everyone.

Maybe they have a pre-determined limit. They notify clients in tiers until the limit is reached, which would explain why some see the offer earlier than others. Once the limit is reached they cut it off for everyone.

That makes good sense. I never paid attention in the past to how long the offer stayed on the site, and always assumed everyone downloaded it as soon as they could.

I do have one concern now. At the first of the year, my Fido advisor's name disappeared from my summary page, and now it just says to contact my team (phone number is the same I've always used). I hope that doesn't mean I'll be excluded next tax season, but others have said it doesn't matter. I won't worry about it, because it's really only a matter of the cost of a dinner.

What is the reason that people wait instead of downloading it when it first appears? I can't understand that, since it will offer to update itself whenever you open it.

Yeah, I pretty much downloaded immediately because you never know if something will happen.

I’ve been wondering.

This concept crossed my mind. Well they told me it was a tech reason, so I understand that lying straight out has become acceptable in the USA, but we shall see. I will give it to next Friday as stated by them for the fix.

There is speculation out there that some wise guys "hacked" the site by spreading cookies to give people access. Not a true hack, but rather actual Fidelity account holders who found sites that shared magic cookies that allowed it to approve if directed to a specific site after signing into Fidelity.

In other words, cheap skate a-holes ruin it for everyone. And Fidelity had to hit the off switch for now, maybe only temporarily.

You can find fragments of the discussion somewhere on Slickdeals. It wasn't from SD specifically, but from people discussing it on their forum site. Most of the tricks have been deleted, but you can see the detritus of the discussion, including people selling their tricks.

That makes good sense. I never paid attention in the past to how long the offer stayed on the site, and always assumed everyone downloaded it as soon as they could.

I do have one concern now. At the first of the year, my Fido advisor's name disappeared from my summary page, and now it just says to contact my team (phone number is the same I've always used). I hope that doesn't mean I'll be excluded next tax season, but others have said it doesn't matter. I won't worry about it, because it's really only a matter of the cost of a dinner.

It might.

Right, the price for Deluxe as monitored here for best discount, is less than I splurge on a very nice piece of fish or meat.

...I do have one concern now. At the first of the year, my Fido advisor's name disappeared from my summary page, and now it just says to contact my team (phone number is the same I've always used)...

My switched to contact my team a couple of years ago and I still get the free offer. One of the local reps still calls once a year and I talk to them on the phone but haven't met with anyone since pre-COVID.

My switched to contact my team a couple of years ago and I still get the free offer. One of the local reps still calls once a year and I talk to them on the phone but haven't met with anyone since pre-COVID.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've had a few in-person meetings with my named advisor, and like him very much, but I've also had good phone meetings with his staff.

I always buy H&R Block at Walmart, currently at $29.87 for Deluxe version.

I also had the free TT offer disappear off my summary page. I figured it would show back up soon, but will definitely start bugging my rep if it's not back by the time the tax forms are ready to go.

I did the Fido online customer service chat, explained to the rep that the free offer had been on my summary page and disappeared (and that it's happened to many others too) and wanted to see if I should be concerned about the offer not being extended to me this year (so I could get the Amazon sale version now). They said it did appear to be some sort of glitch, they are working on it, but in the meantime the rep said they could submit me manually to see if I had another route to the free offer. This was Saturday.

The same rep just called me back, said they are still working on getting the free offer back on the page so I (and I assume the other Fido clients that are also effected) could just click it, but in the meantime gave me a code for one free TT fed/state filing if it hadn't been resolved by the time I was ready to file.

And I didn't download anything when I first saw it because I prefer doing my TT on the online version and usually wait until I've gotten all my tax docs before beginning. I have never had it disappear before!

Last edited:
I just came back from a get-to-know-us meeting with a new Fidelity rep. It went well. At the end of the meeting, I just asked her what the qualifications were for the free TT offer. Not that $50 or $60 is a big deal, I was just curious. She said she didn't know what they were but would check into it for us. 1-1/2 hour later she called me back.

FWIW, here is what she told me. It can change every year. This year it is as follows: A) At least 1 non-retirement account AND B) either >120 trades/year or over 1 Mill in total assets. Next year it could be different.

This has always been a question here and we get various replies. Whether this is the one and only answer, I cannot say. At least it does explain why we qualified for the offer this year, if not last year. You can add this qualification to the answers that others have shared.

FWIW, here is what she told me. It can change every year. This year it is as follows: A) At least 1 non-retirement account AND B) either >120 trades/year or over 1 Mill in total assets. Next year it could be different.

I have two non-retirement accounts and over $4M in assets and I still can't get free turbotax.

Quick question for turbotax experts. I have always used deluxe since I haven't sold any funds or stocks in my taxable account. Even though I have started purchasing T-bills and CDs in my rollover account and hold to maturity, can I still use Deluxe? Taxable account has only dividend and interest income.

thanks,

Marc

Back
Top Bottom