Fidelity web page question

finnski1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok, can anybody help me before I try calling Fidelity. I tried their virtual chat but got nowhere.

It's a simple question.

How do I extend the log in time.
Seems like I am constantly having to re log in if I don't stay active on my account every 30 minutes or so?
Maybe I should post on the "pet peeves" thread.:facepalm:

Wiggle your mouse.
I also noticed on my sign in that I can now check “ save this device” so I can bypass the 2FA.

Wiggle your mouse.
I also noticed on my sign in that I can now check “ save this device” so I can bypass the 2FA.

Does it actually work? When I click "don't ask me again on this device" it ignores my request and I have to use 2FA every single time.

Does it actually work? When I click "don't ask me again on this device" it ignores my request and I have to use 2FA every single time.

I clicked the box a week or three ago and I can stay on without 2FA for over an hour. I sign out eventually so it may let me stay on longer.

Yes - I think that they likely received a bunch of negative feedback the way they had done it and then changed it. I was having to log in 10 times a day with 2FA and then it stopped. Similar with the Active Trader Pro - it never did the 2FA, then on the date they said it would be implemented it was, I was having to go through the 2FA every morning, and then it stopped.

In your browser, do you have it removing cookies when you exit? Or possibly something else which is preventing it from saving some info? That's the only thing I can think of where it would be ignoring "don't ask me again".

Last edited:
It's a security feature. So is 2FA. I rarely if every turn off 2FA on any device.

Simply, logon again. Logging on a few times a day takes a lot less time and effort than trying to get you money back after the bad guys and gals have stolen it from you.

I only endure 2FA if I use a new device or I add a new bank account link or bill payment account.

I clicked the box a week or three ago and I can stay on without 2FA for over an hour. I sign out eventually so it may let me stay on longer.

That is not my expectation for how it should work. I logon/off 3-4 times per day sometimes. I am required to use 2FA every time even though I check the box. I can stay on a long time if I am active. I expected it to be like other sites that offer a choice to “remember me on this device for 30 days”. The Fidelity option wording is vague to me. I’ll have to research how to check cookie settings.

I've left my computer logged into Fidelity and came back hours later and I'm still logged in.

If I'm on TD Ameritrade and have no activity for a while (30 minutes) I do get logged out automatically.

So it must be a setting somewhere. Sorry I can't help more.

Ok, can anybody help me before I try calling Fidelity. I tried their virtual chat but got nowhere.

It's a simple question.

How do I extend the log in time.
Seems like I am constantly having to re log in if I don't stay active on my account every 30 minutes or so?
Maybe I should post on the "pet peeves" thread.:facepalm:

If you truly loathe phone calls (I'm getting there) there's a reddit option for getting answers from fidelity and other fidelity customers. I haven't tried it myself but it looks like it's pretty active:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvestments/

Fidelity responses are labeled "Official Response".

That is not my expectation for how it should work. I logon/off 3-4 times per day sometimes. I am required to use 2FA every time even though I check the box. I can stay on a long time if I am active. I expected it to be like other sites that offer a choice to “remember me on this device for 30 days”. The Fidelity option wording is vague to me. I’ll have to research how to check cookie settings.

I do not have the same issue as you. Fido let’s me stay on.

I've left my computer logged into Fidelity and came back hours later and I'm still logged in.

If I'm on TD Ameritrade and have no activity for a while (30 minutes) I do get logged out automatically.

So it must be a setting somewhere. Sorry I can't help more.
yeah I've searched settings quite a bit. Perhaps I'm doing a "man look" as my wife likes to say.:)

I'm able to turn off 2FA by going to Security Settings. But, like OP, I wish there was someplace to set the time before automatic log off. Sometimes, I get into my account several times a day and have a loooong password.

I don't see how to "remember this device". It's definitely not on the VIP Access code screen...I did check "remember me" on the login page, but that just remembers my user name, and there's no point in that because LastPass will fill both fields for me. Where are you all seeing this option? I don't want to turn it off, I just want to bypass it on trusted devices.

I'm not worried about bypassing 2FA on trusted devices because I have fairly high security on those; in addition to locking them whenever I'm not actively using my phone or computer, I use the Bluetooth to lock my phone when it's not near my watch, and my laptop when my phone is not nearby.

Last edited:
I don't see how to "remember this device". It's definitely not on the VIP Access code screen...I did check "remember me" on the login page, but that just remembers my user name, and there's no point in that because LastPass will fill both fields for me. Where are you all seeing this option? I don't want to turn it off, I just want to bypass it on trusted devices.

I'm not worried about bypassing 2FA on trusted devices because I have fairly high security on those; in addition to locking them whenever I'm not actively using my phone or computer, I use the Bluetooth to lock my phone when it's not near my watch, and my laptop when my phone is not nearby.
It is a very distinct “remember this device” check box on your login screen.

I got the box to show up again. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• D51E3F79-EE91-488B-98DE-2FAFBF1018DA.jpg
    D51E3F79-EE91-488B-98DE-2FAFBF1018DA.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 14
I got the box to show up again. Here is what it looks like.

I just tried this on my iphone using Safari, not the Fidelity app. Checking the box DOES override 2FA on subsequent login. It’s not working on my laptop, though.

Back
Top Bottom