Fighting the Urge to Splurge

Sometimes the urge to splurge can be fulfilled by shopping at garage sales. I know it sounds silly, but bringing home something neat or useful can satisfy the urge.

Could be the urge to shop or buy things is related to the urge to hunt or gather. You prepare, you spot your prey, you shoot, and you bring home the booty. Works the same for a deer, a car, or a blender.

My first car was a Mustang 69, though not a convertible. My 3rd car was a 75 Datsun Z-280. My current car is a 95 minivan. Next car either a hybrid or a high MPG like T-Al's. I am done with fast cars.

It's interesting how circumstances change your perspective on this. It hasn't historically been easy for me to resist a good splurge, even though I've always been a pretty good saver. But today, given our current household circumstances, I find it very difficult to spend anything that doesn't absolutely have to be spent.

That's just prudent, given your circumstances!

I suspect that Frank's temptation is the fact that he knows he could always take a contract after we retire, and use the extra money to pay for "toys". However I keep reminding him that money = time, and I do think he is doing pretty well in his efforts to save.

Sometimes the urge to splurge can be fulfilled by shopping at garage sales. I know it sounds silly, but bringing home something neat or useful can satisfy the urge.

It doesn't sound silly to me!! I have found some real treasures at garage sales (well, treasures to ME! :LOL:). Also I can get the same satisfaction from going to a second hand store and buying something for nearly nothing.

W2R

If the price of a Miata means the difference between retiring and continuing to work, perhaps the decision to retire has been made with undue haste.

W2R

If the price of a Miata means the difference between retiring and continuing to work, perhaps the decision to retire has been made with undue haste.

Frank is only 54, and I think that he is toying with the idea of semi-retiring - - just taking a contract now and then, if he feels like it. I'm not sure he is ready to completely "hang it up", and only he knows that for sure. He could easily retire now if he was willing to live a somewhat frugal lifestyle, but then if he worked sporadically he wouldn't really have to do that. Whatever he wants to do is fine with me, as long as he is happy.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound silly to me!! I have found some real treasures at garage sales (well, treasures to ME! :LOL:). Also I can get the same satisfaction from going to a second hand store and buying something for nearly nothing.

Brisket for the neighbor over the back fence turned out great yesterday(we got to generously sample) - so the $10 Cajun Cooker/Smoker II bought last summer has got a ton of mileage - usually garage sale items are what I call dust catchers and after a few years get put out to be garaged saled to someone else.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Not a bit of remorse. I am thoroughly enjoying it on the few warmish days we've had so far and I'm and looking forward to warmer weather. Although writing a 5-figure check does make me a little tense, looking at it in the garage I just smile.

Now, if I could figure out a way to carry a bicycle on a motorcycle....:nonono:
I'm looking forward to your avatar showing you and your motorcycle...:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom