Need new car

Tetto

Recycles dryer sheets
Good morning FIRE folks,

I had a car wreck Tuesday evening which totaled my Mazda6 (which also saved my life) and now am looking for a new car. I'm leaning towards a Subaru Crosstrek and looking for current late model owners for their ownership experience. Full disclosure: i've owned 3 Subies in the past, but my last one was a 2006 Impreza sport (which I loved) but not sure on current gen of cars. Any thoughts? Thanks!

DW has had two Crosstreks.

She had a '14 that was hit and totaled at about 40,000 miles which needed nothing other than routine maintenance up to that point. In 2018, we replaced that with a brand new '18 with every available option which she still has and it's also been a great car.

The '18 is much improved over the '14 in terms of comfort. I did replace the HVAC blower motor last year (easy job) because she said she heard a strange clicking noise when it was running. I never heard the noise because I'm half deaf (not really), but I replaced the blower motor (about $60 for a Continental aftermarket unit) and she says it's completely quiet now. BTW there was no debris in the old one, or in the ducts, that would have caused the noise. The '18 has about 42,000 miles on it now and we just replaced the stock Faulken tires which still had about 3/32" tread, with Goodyears.

The gas mileage is phenomenal for an AWD vehicle. She consistently surpasses the 34 MPG EPA highway estimate and has gotten as high as 41 MPG. It's certainly not extremely powerful or quick, but that's not the point with that vehicle. The handling is very good. She's plowed through a foot of snow with no issue on stock tires. I asked if she wanted to get another one any time soon, and she said no, because she hates that you have to defeat the "automatic engine shutoff at stoplights feature" at the start of every trip on all the new ones.

At the time we bought the '18, I negotiated free dealership oil changes for life into the deal. They give me a free loaner when they do the oil changes and state inspection so I've had the opportunity to drive several newer ones. There's not a whole lot of difference between the newer ones and the older ones, but on the last loaner, for some reason the engine seemed much noisier than the engine in our '18, and that loaner had less than 1000 miles on it. Not sure why.

Last edited:
because she hates that you have to defeat the automatic engine shutoff at stoplights feature at the start of every trip on all the new ones.

I very much dislike that also but I’ve come to get used to it. It’s just a one button push as a buckle up and do my pre flight routine. Still, I wish it wasn’t there. But, I wouldn’t put off getting a new car because of it.

$10 gets you a month of online access to Consumer Reports. You can also buy the hard copy auto issue of the magazine but delivery is slow.

I very much dislike that also but I’ve come to get used to it. It’s just a one button push as a buckle up and do my pre flight routine. Still, I wish it wasn’t there. But, I wouldn’t put off getting a new car because of it.

Agreed, Jerry. My new Honda Passport also has that feature and there's actually an after market company that makes a device you can easily install on some Hondas that make it so the feature is always off unless you turn it on. I haven't spent the $89.99 to buy it because, like you, I have just become accustomed to hit the "auto shutoff defeat" button right after I hit the start button.

I would check for a Subaru specific forum and check there. Usually find lots of helpful peeps on the car forums.

We have a 2016 Outback and it has been solid. 98k miles and nothing other than routine maintenance and replacement tires, battery, etc. I haven't even needed to replace the brake pads yet! Highly recommended.

We have the Limited which is leather and a very nice car. A couple years ago I picked up a friend who is a car guy at the airport and he asked me when we got the new car.

We got a new truck in October so the Subie is now our second car and has retired to Vermont... currently hibernating in our garage there but we'll use it during the summers for a few more years and then consider trading it.

Last edited:
We are on our 3rd Subaru Outback since 1998. They are great for Snowy NH and the gravel roads all around us. The latest is a 2015 Limited. Never had a car with leather heated seats before. Now we can't go back! Can't beat their AWD system we are very happy with Subaru. The Crosstreks are very popular around here as well. Get rated well.

$10 gets you a month of online access to Consumer Reports. You can also buy the hard copy auto issue of the magazine but delivery is slow.

Not a big CR guy, but someone recently gave me an issue of CR which I browsed through. The Crosstrek was rated #1 at the top of the segment in the January 2024 issue of CR, page 52 or 54 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

According to Bard:

How does Consumer Reports rate the Subaru CrossTrek?

The Subaru Crosstrek is another strong contender in the small AWD category and actually holds a very high place in Consumer Reports' rankings:

2023 Subaru Crosstrek:

• Overall score: 84 (highest-ranked subcompact SUV)
  • Road test score: 88/100 (exceptional)
  • Reliability: 4/5 (above average)
  • Owner satisfaction: 4/5 (above average)
Here's what Consumer Reports highlights about the Crosstrek:

• Strengths: Comfortable and controlled ride, good fuel economy, roomy rear seat, standard all-wheel-drive, excellent predicted reliability.
  • Weaknesses: Less cargo space than some rivals, base engine can feel underpowered, infotainment system can be slow to respond.
Compared to the other top 3 small AWD cars mentioned:

• Forester: The Crosstrek offers a slightly less spacious interior and lower fuel economy than the Forester, but it's also more affordable and handles slightly better.
  • CX-30: The Crosstrek has a smoother ride and more cargo space than the CX-30, but the Mazda offers a more engaging driving experience and a more premium interior.
  • Kona: The Crosstrek is more reliable and has a more comfortable ride than the Kona, but the Hyundai offers a wider range of powertrain options and a longer warranty.
Ultimately, the best choice for you will depend on your individual needs and priorities. However, based on Consumer Reports' ratings, the Crosstrek is a clear winner in the subcompact SUV category, offering a great combination of practicality, capability, and value.

If you're considering the Crosstrek, I recommend checking out Consumer Reports' detailed review for more information: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/subaru/crosstrek/2024/overview/

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

According to Consumer Reports, from 2022 on, both the Crosstrek and Forester have excellent reliability. As you go further back in time, the reliability lessens to about average. Neither the Ascent nor the Outback have such good reliability - generally average or worse for the most recent five model years.

Not a Subaru owner, but just want to say--sorry about your accident, but glad you were not hurt!

My DSIL is a Subaru fan, he has had some for several hundred thousand miles.
If we ever need a new car again, I am very tempted to look at Subarus--reliable, good on the road, good in snow if needed.

Thank you everybody for the great responses; I know alot about older Subies, not so much the new ones. One thing i do know is they all run timing chains now vs belts. This was a source of frustration for me because doing my own maintenance meant a very big job carefully done, to avoid engine damage. Chains should last the life of the car. I do like the Crosstrek and you've confirmed my choice. Thanks again!

Not a Subaru owner, but just want to say--sorry about your accident, but glad you were not hurt!

My DSIL is a Subaru fan, he has had some for several hundred thousand miles.
If we ever need a new car again, I am very tempted to look at Subarus--reliable, good on the road, good in snow if needed.

Yes, i got lucky. Can't fathom how i walked away from that without a scratch on my body. Thank you Mazda engineers.

I ran my 2005 Impreza 242,000 miles before i sold it. My 1991 Legacy wagon had 190,000 before i gave it to my nephew who put another 80K on it before killing it in the woods with his friends....:facepalm:

One thing i do know is they all run timing chains now vs belts. This was a source of frustration for me because doing my own maintenance meant a very big job carefully done, to avoid engine damage. Chains should last the life of the car.
I recall the labor for changing the timing belt on my old Audi was so costly, that they recommended changing out other items like the water pump at the same time since the procedure for each was pretty much the same. That said, while a timing chain may last the life of a car, the chain tensioners and guides may not. Certain BMW's had this problem some years back.

I recall the labor for changing the timing belt on my old Audi was so costly, that they recommended changing out other items like the water pump at the same time since the procedure for each was pretty much the same. That said, while a timing chain may last the life of a car, the chain tensioners and guides may not. Certain BMW's had this problem some years back.

I always bought the timing belt kit from RockAuto.com. New belt, water pump, tensioner and pulleys for around $200. Couldn’t beat it.

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for the great responses; I know alot about older Subies, not so much the new ones. One thing i do know is they all run timing chains now vs belts. This was a source of frustration for me because doing my own maintenance meant a very big job carefully done, to avoid engine damage. Chains should last the life of the car. I do like the Crosstrek and you've confirmed my choice. Thanks again!

Yes, and the Subaru head gasket failure issues that were quite common many years ago, also seem to have become a thing of the past.

Last edited:
I just bought and installed a dongle from Amazon for $20 that overrides the auto shutdown feature. Works great. What it does is plugs into where the hood sensor is, took less than 5 minutes to undo the connector and plug it in. When the hood is open the car automatically overrides the shutdown feature so a mechanic can work on the car without it shutting down.

Test drove a 2024 Crosstrek premium this afternoon, runs smooth and a bit noisy on the highway. Acceleration underwhelming but that’s ok. It was pretty loaded and gets great mileage, quoted me $31,700 out the door. Hmmm.

I second the thought to look for a car specific forum. I bet you can find one that might have useful info.

You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.

@folivier But I do have a Soul. It's a Kia and a nice little car. :)

I bought a new 2022 Subaru Crosstrek two years ago. I am very happy with the car. I keep my cars for eight to ten years so I plan on keeping this one.

I second the thought to look for a car specific forum. I bet you can find one that might have useful info.

You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.

@folivier But I do have a Soul. It's a Kia and a nice little car. :)

Yup I am doing that. In this forum, however, I find the opinions and experiences of seasoned folks very valuable, whatever form that takes.

I just bought and installed a dongle from Amazon for $20 that overrides the auto shutdown feature. Works great. What it does is plugs into where the hood sensor is, took less than 5 minutes to undo the connector and plug it in. When the hood is open the car automatically overrides the shutdown feature so a mechanic can work on the car without it shutting down.

On my vehicles, if the hood is open, remote start is disabled.
So you may be losing that feature with that dongle.

My newer vehicle (not a Subaru) has auto stop-start and it works fine, just fine. I would imagine it works fine on Subaru as well but I can't give first hand verification of that...

Test drove a 2024 Crosstrek premium this afternoon, runs smooth and a bit noisy on the highway. Acceleration underwhelming but that’s ok. It was pretty loaded and gets great mileage, quoted me $31,700 out the door. Hmmm.

Try the Impreza as well.

A recent review I disremember where had the reviewer favoring that over the Crosstrek.

Back
Top Bottom