Finally dropped the landline

We do. Will probably loose it when we upgrade our cell phones and plans at some point.

I too have Ooma. I've also noticed that I've been giving my cell number out more and more as many places assume the number is a cell and then use that to text to to communicate.

I'll still keep my Ooma service though as I use enough to justify keeping.

I've got MagicJack and it's the equivalent of a spamcatcher e-mail address for me. If I don't answer the call it generates an audio file of any message they leave and e-mails it to me. I'm very stingy with my cell phone number- even services that might have a legitimate temporary need for it will sometimes start sending me robo-calls or marketing text messages. So, I give them the MagicJack number as a default.

When we retired and sold our home in 2019 we decided to ditch the landline and it’s been fine.

Had a landline for decades. Ported the phone number to a prepaid cell phone then to Google Voice. Now use the same landline phones and number for free through Google Voice.

Now take the landline number, port it to an old cellphone, then to Google Voice and you’ve got a number you can put in public places, auto-screen the calls.

It took a long time to convince my husband to drop the landline. He liked our phone number and we couldn't convert it at the time. I finally unplugged the phone and put it in the hall closet and he didn't notice it for a couple of weeks. Point made. Landline dropped.

We dropped ours 20 years or more ago. The phone company added a charge for being able to use long distance. It was going to cost $5/month extra. Since we had a cell phone, we didn't need long distance. We called the phone company and they said "Fine. But there is a new $3/month charge for NOT having long distance." Say what? We told them to stop our service immediately!

A brief tangent -- when I lived in Hawaii as a boy, there were so few phones that our number had only 6 digits.

Well since we're taking tangents, :), when I was a kid we had a party line.

For those still using OOMA or any other voip, take a look at Voip.ms I just switched this weekend from ooma, where I was paying 7.70 to this service where I will be paying 2.35 (.85 for phone service, 1.50 for E911) plus a penny a minutes (they do have a fixed rate of 4.25 + 1.50 e911), which based on past usage will be about a dollar a month. Primary reason we are keeping a "landline" is E911, at least until the technology for 911 and cell location improve. So far, so good.

I will caution the setup is a little more involved than the plug-n-play of ooma and others, but they have very clear instructions and videos.

https://voip.ms/en/invite/Mzg2MDk3

Please people, specify landline/copper(POTS-Plain Old Telephone System) versus VOIP. To many, a VOIP phone is a 'landline', so it's confusing and meaningless to some of the discussion.

Plus, you can have a 'traditional' phone/handset with/with-out multiple extensions, just like in the 'old days'- one that anyone who didn't know how you are connected, would likely call it a 'landline' - but it could be connected only to your cell phone via Bluetooth - no copper or VOIP.

https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-home-phones/s?k=bluetooth+home+phones

And if you use your cellphone to make calls over WiFi, you are using VOIP technology, so is your cellphone now a 'landline'?

Previously, we had VOIP, and a fixed wireless connection for our internet - where is the 'land' in that? No, it's VOIP connected to a standard phone base.

I'm sure that's true. I asked Bard how many homes in the US still have landline phones and got this:
According to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, 28.7% of U.S. households had a landline phone in 2022.

That number seemed high to me - but it falls into the above. That was a survey, and the wording is important. It apparently lumps POTS and VOIP together:

https://www.securityinfowatch.com/a...-equipment/article/53061279/pots-not-dead-yet

Based on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)’s 2022 biannual National Health Interview Survey of 15,000 U.S. households, 70.7% of American households were considered “cellular phone only.” Considering that those who answer these types of surveys may not make a clear distinction between actual POTS or a VoIP system that provides a similar user experience, the percentage [of "cellular phone only"] is likely a lot higher.

I found the source CDC report, and it actually asks "do you have a working phone in the house that is not a cell phone" - so that definitely would include VOIP.

I have not yet found a good source for the number of residential POTS lines. Some businesses keep them for legacy equipment.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Foxcreek9, wouldn't it be better to port your landline number to Google Voice, which is totally free ? I did so years ago and still have the same phone number I have had for 30 years and still use the same cordless "landline" phones. $0 monthly fees.

Great point ERD 50. I was referring to the old copper wire land line when I started this post. I'd never even heard of a lot of the technologies mentioned here.

A brief tangent -- when I lived in Hawaii as a boy, there were so few phones that our number had only 6 digits.

Some areas of my city had 6-digit numbers too. I still remember the number for my parents' restaurant, AL-3277. But our house not far away had 7 digits.

Foxcreek9, wouldn't it be better to port your landline number to Google Voice, which is totally free ? I did so years ago and still have the same phone number I have had for 30 years and still use the same cordless "landline" phones. $0 monthly fees.

That would be nice, but Google Voice says that they can't port my number :( Of course, GV does not solve the E911 issue either, I know it is rare, but the ability to dial 911 and them knowing your address immediately without saying a word has a certain comfort to it.

Foxcreek9, you can port your number to a cheap prepaid cell phone (I think I paid about $20 for one at Walmart), then from that phone to Google Voice. But as far as the 911 issue, you are correct. They will not know your address. That is a risk I was willing to take, just like having to call 911 when not at home using a cell phone.

Foxcreek9, you can port your number to a cheap prepaid cell phone (I think I paid about $20 for one at Walmart), then from that phone to Google Voice. But as far as the 911 issue, you are correct. They will not know your address. That is a risk I was willing to take, just like having to call 911 when not at home using a cell phone.

Not sure why, but I can't port from my cell carrier (TracFone) either.It can't be area code, as I have a GV number in our area code, so who knows, I have a google voice number for when we travel internationally.

Strange. Have you looked online at some tutorials on how to do it ? Things may have changed since I did it. I found the tutorials to be very helpful.

Of course, GV does not solve the E911 issue either, I know it is rare, but the ability to dial 911 and them knowing your address immediately without saying a word has a certain comfort to it.
But any cell phone would be able to do that as well, as long as GPS is enabled on that device?

Strange. Have you looked online at some tutorials on how to do it ? Things may have changed since I did it. I found the tutorials to be very helpful.

Just went there this morning, did the verify number (sends text), and GV comes back, "Sorry but no can do (paraphrasing here)"

Foxcreek, were you trying to verify your number AFTER porting it to a prepaid cell ? GV will only accept phone numbers that are cell numbers, not landline numbers.

Foxcreek, were you trying to verify your number AFTER porting it to a prepaid cell ? GV will only accept phone numbers that are cell numbers, not landline numbers.

I checked my Tracfone number (and my DWs) and Google said it can not port either, no idea why.

Back
Top Bottom