Financial Reform

Your opinion on Financial Reform

• Wall Street needs/deserves a smack down (regulation to limit their activity)

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Everything is fine, Keep it status quo

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No optinion

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It seems a little incestuous, but what Mr. Buffett suggests isn't unreasonable (though I'd add that he shouldn't have a unique exemption and Nelson has lost some credibility as the result of the Cornhusker Kickback).

Let's say you took out a mortgage for 95% loan to value a couple years ago. You can still easily afford to make the payments. Now Congress passes a law which requires that no mortgage be allowed to be over 80% LTV -- and enforces it retroactively to existing contracts. You have, let's say, 92% LTV by this time and you have to come up with 12% of the home's value in cash.... or else. That the contract you entered was fully lawful and acceptable at the time it was executed means *nothing* any more. Congress has forcibly changed the terms in a way that is financially disastrous to you (possibly).

Buffett isn't saying these laws are a bad idea moving forward -- but that you shouldn't retroactively add financially punitive terms to existing deals already in place before the law was passed. In criminal law, we have a prohibition against this sort of ex post facto law. And for a similar reason: it's unjust to move the goalposts after the ball has already been kicked.
Golly. I admit to not having to stomach to follow the news on this story.
I know that I shouldn't be surprised at anything congress does, but I am surprised that Buffet&Co failed at getting this measure removed from the bill. Assuming Ziggy's analogy is correct, such a retroactive measure could cause pandemonium in the markets, with all sorts of folks suddenly going broke.

Maybe it really is playground payback time for the Cornhusker kickback.

The core of the problem is investments that are part of the internet age. Corporations and banks can transfer money back and forth outside of national boundaries, and no government has a clue what happened to it. They can make up some synthetic derivative in the Cayman Islands and sell it out of there and no government can touch it, or regualte them for it.

I've been reading about the potential blow-up of the derivative markets for more than 10 years in various financial newsletters. I can't believe this is such a surprise. And I'm not terribly savvy financially.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom