FireCalc Success Rate?

Since all estimates of this kind rely on math and our real-life events and financial returns rely on historical data relative to our own accounts, this entire process is no more than a guess. We should never assume that any financial projection will actually mirror our own results.

A good guess is worth calculating.

Love all these comments. I'm still hesitant to say I'm "retired" , but my last day of work was January 6th. FIRECALC has me at a 97.1% success rate and if market goes down 20% tomorrow it goes to 94.1% so I feel pretty comfortable, but I didn't input crazy expenses so I don't feel like I have a huge buffer. Here is what concerns me---******** has me at 91% success rate , but it goes to 75% with a 20% market drop.

Edit:Schwab has me at 94% success rate and 82% success rate if market drops 20%

Last edited:
I sometimes use 95% in FIRECalc, sometimes 100%. I don't think I ever seriously looked at percentages of 90% or below. My risk tolerance is pretty low.

One consideration here is what fraction of your retirement income stream is annuitized? If you have substantial SS, pension(s), and annuities you are in better shape variance-wise than someone drawing 100% off of a portfolio - so you could more comfortably go with a lower success rate. You would have a floor of income giving you a little more leeway on your portfolio draw. But do keep inflation in mind.

In my case I only have SS* so I target 100%, primarily to have a cushion for the next bear market. If that bear pushes me into the 90-something percent band I'm good with it. Like others, I'm a little leery of the current stock and bond market valuations.

*P.S., I know the arguments for annuities but can't see locking in today's low rates for decades; maybe later.

Back
Top Bottom