fired after 2 days on the job

I was excited.

He didn't think I was.

And apparently the previous employee wasn't "excited", "active", or "eager" either. LOL.

I am not sure anyone would come away looking "excited", "active", or "eager" 24/7 or in this case every minute of every 480 minutes that he/she is in the office being observed.

The more I think about it the more the idea of a video camera is rather creepy.
Creepy, but common.

I've been on camera all the time at every employer I have had over the last 15+ years. I thought that was the norm?

The creep factor I think depends on the type of job. If the job handles money, like at a bank or store, that's expected. If the job is a plain old office job, that is creepy.

I was excited.

He didn't think I was.

And apparently the previous employee wasn't "excited", "active", or "eager" either. LOL.

I am not sure anyone would come away looking "excited", "active", or "eager" 24/7 or in this case every minute of every 480 minutes that he/she is in the office being observed.

Hard to say for sure because I do not know you or the employer, but just maybe you are better off not working there.

The creep factor I think depends on the type of job. If the job handles money, like at a bank or store, that's expected. If the job is a plain old office job, that is creepy.
It is a plain old office job processing customer orders and shipping orders.

The owner is in Florida, and this is his way to keep tabs on the 2 people in the office.

The owner is in Florida, and this is his way to keep tabs on the 2 people in the office.

That is creepy. Plus, sounds like instead of engaging with the workers, the boss preferred to draw conclusions by what's on the camera. A sign of the times I guess in this voyeuristic world we live in.

Eeesh. I'd quit if I had a boss who watched me on video camera. Well, first I'd moon him, then I'd quit.

Again from an employer's perspective: you are adding to the business or you're not. He made the judgement that you are not. Learn from it.

I know somebody that this almost happened to. He was interviewed and hired by a director of a 15 person company. On his first day the company owner (a miserable little dictator) decided to informally interview him and told the director to fire the guy. Director talked El-Diablo out of it.

Back in the heyday before Y2K a guy left Megacorp for a big promotion at a KC located phone company who's name started with "S". During orientation he and half the group were sent away; their jobs no longer existed.:D

I know someone who never survived training. He fell asleep in meetings though, so there's that.

I know someone who never survived training. He fell asleep in meetings though, so there's that.

One of the lowest points as an IT manager was talking to one of my reports. Apparently the young man had taken to sleeping in the men's restroom while snoring rather loudly. I don't know who discovered him or why, but it wasn't a good day.

The person who was in the job before me was also fired, although I got the impression she lasted weeks instead of days. She left behind a notebook of notes. :)

"Notes to self-- I hate that camera. Spent all day looking busy while I surf the net, mostly looking for a new job. When I find one, I'll spend the whole next day sitting in this chair with my finger up my nose, see how long it takes that voyeuristic SOB to fire me."

Last edited:
One of the lowest points as an IT manager was talking to one of my reports. Apparently the young man had taken to sleeping in the men's restroom while snoring rather loudly. I don't know who discovered him or why, but it wasn't a good day.
There was this programmer guy who used to fart really loud in his cube. At least your guy didn't snore in his cube.:LOL:

I've been on camera all the time at every employer I have had over the last 15+ years. I thought that was the norm?

To my knowledge I've never been on camera except at entrances and perhaps some hallways. But I've never worked in retail, and only before college grad on a quasi-manufacturing floor.

It may also be that you are expected to work 8 hours without taking lunch.
That's what the other two does. They eat at their desks.

What does "taking lunch" mean?

For 35 years,everyday I was able find the time to cram 3 sandwiches, a dozen cookies, 2 cans of pop, qt. of water, and maybe a candy bar or yogurt without "taking lunch". Of course, I don't remember what it tasted like, days went fast, and I retired at 56. There are trade offs.:LOL:

I would insist on stopping by to pick up my first and final paycheck and give that camera the middle finger.... actually, make that TWO middle fingers.

Did the owner check the work or output before firing the OP? Unless the OP has to interface with the customers, why is his demeanor important?

It does not look like a good work environment to me. Or did the OP make some disparaging remarks that were overheard?

Maybe OP deserved it ?
He had a cell phone, and maybe he was surfing the internet, making phone calls all while he was supposed to be at work.
I have seen folks in their cubes do that constantly, and I've thought "if the boss saw them he should fire them"
Maybe this one did ?

At a megacorp I was at, they would have to fire about 3/4 of the workers. :) Amazing how their business could keep on going, really, with their workers goofing off so much. They paid me 2x, but expected me to do the work of 3 or 4. I quit.

Last edited:
I keep getting asked to go back to work @ a tech startup... do you think they want me back so they can fire me too?

Yes. I think that's pretty clear.

I should say the office camera was not hidden.

But I didn't think too much of it until the office manager told me that factored into the decision to fire me.

The other person in the office was the shipping manager. I was suppose to learn from him.

The camera "factored into the decision to fire you?" Were the other factors mentioned? Might the shipping manager or the office manager have had something to do with your early exodus?

In any case...... 2 days, no big deal as long as you did not leave another job to take this one.

I thought there were studies showing that workers with Internet at desk were more productive.

Hear an anecdote about how the Detroit auto companies only recently gave engineers working on self-driving cars software modern workstations and Internet access.

Remember, these companies are trying to compete against Google, Tesla and other tech cos. Not just for products but engineering talent.

Life is precious, and just be thankful you didn't waste your life at that place. I wouldn't work under a camera for some fat cat in Florida exploiting my labors.

And I hate to say it, but not allowing time for lunch and two 15 minute breaks in an 8 hour shift is illegal. People cannot work efficiently if they're pushed to 110%.

Back
Top Bottom