Florida living

Update for those of you who have followed our journey - we finally found the right combination of home, neighborhood/area, and amenities! We made an offer last night and so far it looks positive! I’ll report more fully once I’m confident it’s going to close as expected. We changed our minds a few times on area/neighborhood but I really think we will be happy with our choice if everything works out.

Thank you all for advice along the way! We plan to be full time FL residents in a couple of months - scary but also very exciting!

Update for those of you who have followed our journey - we finally found the right combination of home, neighborhood/area, and amenities! We made an offer last night and so far it looks positive! I’ll report more fully once I’m confident it’s going to close as expected. We changed our minds a few times on area/neighborhood but I really think we will be happy with our choice if everything works out.

Thank you all for advice along the way! We plan to be full time FL residents in a couple of months - scary but also very exciting!

Congratulations! Hope your offer is accepted ASAP. :dance:

If your niece does move to Florida she may not even be able to get home insurance with many companies abandoning the state.

Cheers!

what I have found 2002 and older do not meet the latest hurricane code and insurance companies wont touch them.

what I have found 2002 and older do not meet the latest hurricane code and insurance companies wont touch them.

Not sure what part of Florida that is. We're built in 1980, but our roof is post-2002 (pretty much anyone would be at this point) and we have all impact windows. We had a home inspection when we changed carriers, normal.

Getting coverage isn't an issue. They will "touch" us, they just want a lot$!

Yep, not in the flood zone, three miles inland, 1986 build, SWFL.
Insurance went from $1600 to $3200 in four years.
Note: property value almost doubled too, so increased values have to be factored in.

Thank you all for the good wishes! We are in escrow!! Our inspection is tomorrow and our expected closing date is late September. We bought a home in the Del Webb community in Lakewood Ranch. The address is Bradenton and it’s very close to Sarasota.

The home has most of what we were looking for, and is move-in ready apart from a couple of minor things. It’s a little further from the beach than we wanted - 35-40 minutes. But it’s not in a flood or evacuation zone. And the amenities of the communities are awesome! Should be pretty easy to meet new people and make friends.

Thank you all for your interest and encouragement. We can’t wait to become FL residents!

Thank you all for the good wishes! We are in escrow!! Our inspection is tomorrow and our expected closing date is late September. We bought a home in the Del Webb community in Lakewood Ranch. The address is Bradenton and it’s very close to Sarasota.

The home has most of what we were looking for, and is move-in ready apart from a couple of minor things. It’s a little further from the beach than we wanted - 35-40 minutes. But it’s not in a flood or evacuation zone. And the amenities of the communities are awesome! Should be pretty easy to meet new people and make friends.

Thank you all for your interest and encouragement. We can’t wait to become FL residents!

Sounds wonderful. We're looking forward to some pictures when you get settled in. Keep us posted.

Congratulations! Welcome to the hood! You are about 12 miles as the crow flies ESE of us.

Welcome to FLA. Lots of Pickleball in that area.

So, did you purchase an existing home or a new build?

Congratulations on your Purchase. Lotsa Love and Luck in your new Home !!

And Thank You for posting your experiences in the Sunshine State.

Congrats, Scuba! We looked at Lakewood Ranch when we were first exploring Florida a few years ago and were really impressed. I'm sure you will love it there.

Yes, congratulations Scuba! It's great that you found a comfortable place for your next chapter in life. Thank you for starting this thread. It has been really educational for me and others here. I would be interested in hearing a bit about Palm Springs and your reasons for moving on from there. It often comes up in the media as a great retirement destination (for those who can afford it).

Wonderful news Scuba! Hope you totally love the new digs!

Welcome to Florida!

Congrats! Just spent a week in Sarasota visiting family and really enjoyed the area.

Back
Top Bottom