Florida mailing address and auto, health

Your situation is a bit different since you want to change residency after July 2015.

We used 2 different addresses in a temporary living situation (that lasted 3 years with a lot of travel). We used friend's address (in the Tax state we had been living until then) for car insurance, registration, health insurance and tax stuff. But an out-of-state family address for banks, CCs and all other stuff.

I'm still not getting this. Was it because they had homestead exemptions in both places? Are you saying that FL checks with Tax State to see if the homestead exemption is still on the local property? We are planning to pre-apply for FL homestead exemption as of January 1 and have asked the Tax State assessor to remove the homestead exemption on that house as of January 1. We will have all the other FL pre-requisites (driver's licenses, auto registration, voter registration, utility bills, deed, etc.) when we apply.

I know they check whether or not you are receiving homestead exemption in another state. We actually had to get a letter/email from the county tax office in GA stating that we did not have the homestead exemption on our old primary home.

I know they check whether or not you are receiving homestead exemption in another state. We actually had to get a letter/email from the county tax office in GA stating that we did not have the homestead exemption on our old primary home.

Interesting, it looks like it might vary by county whether they require proof the other exemption was dropped. Brevard County's website says, "If the taxpayer owns property in any other State or Country, a letter from the appropriate agency verifying that the taxpayer does not receive benefits based on permanent residency in that jurisdiction." The county where I'm applying has nothing similar listed in its requirements. I'll know for sure in about a week.

Interesting, it looks like it might vary by county whether they require proof the other exemption was dropped. Brevard County's website says, "If the taxpayer owns property in any other State or Country, a letter from the appropriate agency verifying that the taxpayer does not receive benefits based on permanent residency in that jurisdiction." The county where I'm applying has nothing similar listed in its requirements. I'll know for sure in about a week.

FL Dept Rev - Property Tax Exemptions and Discounts

I guess they will just ask you if the property was sold the date it was sold.

OK, an update. We gave the county (Indian River) all the documentation they asked for and I asked about the rest of the process. The woman told me they would go through the application and look at everything and also check to see if the previous address still had the homestead exemption (we still own it). I pulled out the letter I had from the tax state (county) assessor which told me the exemption would be removed as of a certain date and she thought that would suffice. So, while they do not state they require this information, they do go about getting it themselves apparently. Maybe they have more time than other places to follow up.

If they are not already doing so, perhaps they should mention this in their defense, though from what you have said they would be toast if I were the judge. :D

No need to sugar coat it. They're crooks, plain and simple.

Ok, Florida driver's license question...

I've started the mail service (Traveling Mailbox) and when I changed my first address with my Fidelity accounts, their screen read "The US Postal Service cannot identify your address or a similar standard address". Ultimately I was able to submit the address change with Fidelity but when I inquired with TM they said not to worry; when I asked about the Florida driver's license they said the TM address cannot be used to establish residency; when I said that would be my only address starting next year they punted telling me to inquire with the FL DMV.

Anyone have or know anyone who has applied for a FL DL using one of these virtual addresses? My address is 75 N. Woodward Ave., #83[xxx], Tallahassee, FL 32313.

Back
Top Bottom