Flu Shots 2020

My wife and I got our flu shots yesterday. It was at our regular GP offices but they had a special desk set up to check folks in as they arrived by appointment. My wife and I’s appointments were 4 minutes apart. One way system set up, no doors to touch, flu jab while standing up. Very efficient.

We just talked with SIL who lives near Edinburgh and she has just received her letter and instructions. Those who can are being asked to go through a drive in set up, those who can’t will be booked into a walk through centre.

Normally it is free to 65 and older, this year it is free to 50 and older.

I called my clinic yesterday about the flu shot and was told that it will not be available until October.

I called my clinic yesterday about the flu shot and was told that it will not be available until October.

I hope you realize that you can go anywhere for a flu shot. They have been available for some time at most places.

i got flu and my second shingrix vaxs yesterday - feel terrible from the shingrix, again

Got stabbed Wed for Flu Shot at work - thanks megaoil….

Still abit fuzzy as shots have always normally made me abit feverish and not feel good.

For those of us who get feverish from vaccines like Flu and Shingrix does that mean our immune systems are working extra good?

For those of us who get feverish from vaccines like Flu and Shingrix does that mean our immune systems are working extra good?

For me, after flu shot I really didn't feel feverish at all.

After first Shingrix shot, I did get feverish. After 2nd Singrix shot, felt slight fever but not as much as first time.

dw and I were in costco this week and an employee was walking around asking customers if they wanted to come to the pharmacy to get a flu shot. we plan on waiting til mid october. our local hy-vee grocery stores have a drive up service. you don't have to get out of your car to get the shot.

DW & I got our shots this week. Both of us got the flu shot and dose #2 of Shingrex.

DW got hers on Wednesday morning and felt horrible Wednesday evening & Thursday morning.

I got mine Thursday morning and feel horrible today.

In prior years the flu shot only didn't affect either of us. I don't know if it's the combination, a change in the flu vaccine, or just that we're getting older!

BrianB

Over the years I've asked nurses and doctors each year if it is better to get the flu shot earlier or wait. I think they all have given different answers which makes me question the advise of the medical community. Don't have much confidence in their advise. So we are waiting until middle of October or late October to get ours.

Over the years I've asked nurses and doctors each year if it is better to get the flu shot earlier or wait. I think they all have given different answers which makes me question the advise of the medical community. Don't have much confidence in their advise. So we are waiting until middle of October or late October to get ours.

When there's nothing definitive you get guesses and opinions. I think October is a good choice. With only half the population getting the immunization I think public health authorities are hesitant to make any recommendations restricting the immunization season.

Two points and a question:

One, just because there's not broad agreement on a nuanced issue like what specific day of the year is "best" to get a flu shot does not, to me, mean that all medical advice should be dismissed. [Edit: That's probably not what the post above intended to say, but nowadays people read what they want into everything!]

Two, yes, I believe that having a mild reaction is "proof" that the shot is working. To me, it seems that you're getting the response you want; your body is ramping up its immune system to fight the disease.

There's actually some evidence to support this in an article I just read this morning (disclaimer: this is the second thread I've posted that link in. I'm just a random reader, no connection to the research, the publisher or the author!)

In summary, the article talks about "non-specific effects" of a vaccine, in other words, how one vaccine protects against other illnesses. The numbers, if true, are really amazing. I never knew!

Finally, my question:

Has anyone else noticed more people getting flu shots? Both the local drugstore and the local hospital drive-up flu shot kiosk seem to be much busier this year. Maybe I'm just noticing more. I'd like to hear other opinions.

In a normal year we travel from around Jan to March. I feel that's our biggest risk for flu, I get my shot around mid-late October.

Historically late winter, early Spring is when flu cases spike.

DW & I got our shots this week. Both of us got the flu shot and dose #2 of Shingrex.

DW got hers on Wednesday morning and felt horrible Wednesday evening & Thursday morning.

I got mine Thursday morning and feel horrible today.

In prior years the flu shot only didn't affect either of us. I don't know if it's the combination, a change in the flu vaccine, or just that we're getting older!

BrianB

hopefully it's better than getting shingles - i tell everyone the second one is about 50% worse than the first one

I got my flu shot on 9/12. My primary care Doc offered drive-up shots on Saturday. It was busy but I only waited 15 mins. Very convenient. Since then I've read that it's better to wait until Oct so the effects don't wear off. I'm very interested in the topic of a 2nd flu shot. I'm thinking that my 2021 healthcare won't look back to see if it paid for a shot in 2020. If they do, I wonder what the cost will be? Does anyone know the cost without insurance at a clinic or pharmacy?

I saw my PCP on 9/8 and I knew I was getting the pneumonia shot while there. She offered me the flu shot, too. I asked if it was too early and she said, no it's fine. I usually get the flu shot at a local grocery store because they give you a $5 or $10 gift card for getting a vaccine.

I figured I was already there and it would save me the waiting time at the grocery store. Also saved me the additional time with a sore arm. So I got both vaccines while at the office visit.

I felt like I was fighting something for just a day and had a sore arm for a day or two. Not bad. Over and done.

Last edited:
Finally, my question:

Has anyone else noticed more people getting flu shots? Both the local drugstore and the local hospital drive-up flu shot kiosk seem to be much busier this year. Maybe I'm just noticing more. I'd like to hear other opinions.

There was a line at the Longs drugs (CVS) when we got ours - 45+ minutes. They had a nurse (or - hopefully - qualified person set up at a table) rather than the usual process of the "nurse on site behind the door - with sign up for, example, shots, mini physical, etc. etc."

They only had one chair (thanks, Covid 19). DW, as is her specialty:LOL: complained to the manager who sheepishly dragged out more chairs - 6 feet apart - for his "guests" to sit and wait for their shots. It was beautiful. Sort of "revenge of the Seniors!":cool: YMMV

We will get our flu shots in early October.

Drs and nurses know a lot about what they KNOW about (doctoring and nursing.) If you ask a pharmacist, they will say (smugly) that doctors/nurses know little about drugs. Pharmaceutical companies will agree with pharmacists. I'm sure the level of knowledge among docs and nurses varies wildly on things they are NOT actually experts on.

For me, I would go with the package insert that comes with the drug. If you want to know when to take a flu shot, I'm guessing (but would put a small wager on it, heh, heh) THAT info will be in the package insert. Just from my very limited experience, EVERY healthcare professional I've asked (not that many) have suggested getting the shot as soon as it's available. It takes a while to become fully effective. In any case - the sooner the better. I suppose the effect might wear off over time, but not likely in the 9 months or so of flu season.

By the way, I have told you WAY more than I know about this subject, so, word to the wise: YMMV.

DW got her shot last week and same as last year had a reaction from the stronger senior dose that lasted a day or two. I did not get mine yet, but I normally do not get any reaction.

DW got her shot last week and same as last year had a reaction from the stronger senior dose that lasted a day or two. I did not get mine yet, but I normally do not get any reaction.

Do you mind my asking what were your DW's symptoms? I had my first ever reaction to the senior flu shot a couple of weeks ago also lasting 2 days. Severe arm pain that radiated up my neck and collar bone. I'm trying to determine why and will discuss with my doc as to the best course of action for future flu vaccinations.

Got my senior dose flu shot today at local Fred Meyer. No wait, and no cost via Medicare B. So far no pain.

I'm doing the Kaiser drive thru Flu clinic next month.

I'm doing the Kaiser drive thru Flu clinic next month.

I did the one in Folsom today and it took 45 minutes to get through. They had two drive through lanes and you needed to wait for the front car to exit since it was a narrow drive (actually a two lane tent with two stations per lane). Many cars had multiple people in them and they took longer, so the car behind them was stuck until they were done.

They mentioned adding an exit lane in the future. Maybe a lane for one person in a car vs multiple people per car would work too. It's nice to get it done though.

Back
Top Bottom