For fun. When did you first realize you were no longer 25?

when I was first called 'sir' by a grocery clerk. Ugh.

Ahh, the grocery store!

I live in the south, so I have been called "ma'am" by teenage cashiers for years now. That didn't bother me; it's just a matter of manners here. Any woman the age of their mother or older gets a "ma'am."

BUT - two incidents recently surprised me. First incident: the bagger asked "would you like assistance out to your car?" What - I look like I can't push the d@mn shopping cart out the door?? :mad: :mad:

Second incident: 18 months ago, at age 60, I qualified for the weekly senior discount. I've always made sure to tell the cashier each time, and until recently they had the good sense (or good acting chops) to say "really?" in a surprised voice.

The other day I dutifully reported my state of decrepitude as I was checking out, and the cashier replied "oh yeah, I already applied it." Good thing I am more frugal than I am vain! :D :facepalm:

Now, if one of the little buggers ever offers me the wheeled cart to ride around in while I shop, I'll kick 'em in their little shins. :bat:

Last edited:
I'm not sure about much. I am sure I don't want to be 25 again.

I'm 37 so I still feel like 25 most days. And rarely do I act older than 25. Unless there's a kid on my lawn. Then I'm all like "get off my damn lawn, you kids!". Usually it's my own kids I'm yelling at.

When I started getting wedding invitations from the babies I used to baby sit when I was a teenager.

I can still (at 61) eat and drink with the best of them without any gastric issues, although I do get full a bit sooner. I attribute this talent to 20+ years of training eating at Taco Hell and other fine establishments at for my 2 AM meal during my working years. Being actively on call and doing out of hours releases had me working late and odd hours, and for some reason the salad bars weren't open when I would get hungry.

At age 70 I just cannot eat like I did when I was 30. I love Pizza but sometimes it does not like me :)

I have a much harder time getting out of bed in the morning. I still keep moving trying to walk at least 2 miles a day.

I just cannot lose weight like I did when I was age 55. I stay away from all you can eat places because I get full quicker than I used to. Otherwise I am good because I am still here :cool:

About age 38 I quit jogging for 6 months to a year and when I tried to start back up, my knees hurt too much to continue. The extra weight from lots of work travel didn't help.

Last edited:
At age 70 I just cannot eat like I did when I was 30. I love Pizza but sometimes it does not like me :)
I'm struggling with the thought that in a few months I'll be 70 too. Words of wisdom?

If I stop at 2 pieces of pizza, the stomach gods are happy.

I’m 43 now. But it started to hit in my late 30’s, then hit like a hammer when I turned 40. I’ve played soccer my entire life. Continuing to play indoor my entire adulthood. When I hit 40, you can say I lost a step or two! The issue was compounded by there never being enough teams in each age group, so it became a men’s open league and we were playing against the 20 somethings.
Being on the field and my body not being able to do what my mind was wanting it to was both depressing and eye opening. Add to that the presence of back pain, swollen knee’s and my wife yelling at me every night I’d come home from a game, and I hung up the spikes.
The diet is starting to become affected as well. Pizza is a big culprit, and it takes less beer to make me hurt these days, lol. I can change my diet and not miss it too much, but being active, and competitive at soccer has been sorely missed.

For me it is volleyball. I used to be a hitter. Now it is primarily setting and serving. Before, when I dove for a ball, I'd bounce back up. Now, if I have to hit the floor, it takes some time for me to get off the floor and back into play. (I don't bother wearing knee pads anymore!). I don't know how much longer I can keep playing, but there is a lady who plays with us that is 73! She doesn't move very well, but still loves to play. I never want to get to the point of being that old guy that nobody wants on their team because I am a liability.:(

A couple years back...wintertime, (and around when I was stairclimbing from around 2-5,000 steps daily), DW & I were crossing a minuscule 'snowbank', (about as high as a rolled up carpet), and a young couple ahead of us turned around as asked if we needed assistance. :(
I get offered a seat on the bus by young considerate women. I size them up and often accept!
I'm 75 in 8 days...."The clock's ticking (faster and faster) so take care of yourself".
I will be travelling so have a Happy One, especially given the scare you had earlier this year!

Last edited:
When I was working in a local grocery store and a kid called me "ma'am". I was 16 at the time. I didn't attribute an age to it but it was the first time I felt much older than I was.

In my 40's I had to get reading glasses and got bursitis in my shoulder - painful! Didn't give aging much thought though.

Now in my 50's, I'm noticing we don't feel good the next day if we drink what used to be normal amounts of wine, friends and acquaintances are dying or getting serious diagnoses, and while we're both still quite healthy, injuries take longer to heal and losing weight is harder than ever.

Still, it's wonderful being retired and doing what we want every day, so I'm not complaining!

When a clerk gives you the senior discount and you didn't ask for it.

When, at 38, I first spotted a gray hair while looking in the rear view mirror as I got ready to back out of my parking spot at work. I actually trembled!

The day I realized that I needed to keep a bottle of Tums in my desk at w*rk...I was around 40.

Mid 30's - solar panel started appearing where hair used to reside :nonono:
Early 40's - mild heart attack (when it is your heart, it's not "mild")
50's - multiple back to back injuries ended my running days (now I'm a walking man)
50's - one cataract down
60 - triple (left, right, umbilical) hernia surgery - ouch!
60 - cataract #2 later this year
60's? I'm sure it'll be something....:hide:

But D@mn, I'm enjoying it!!! :dance:

...when I started having a difficult time standing up/walking (normally, like the good old days) upon getting out of a vehicle.

While I had witnessed folks "unshaking" that stiffness for years, I never thought it would happen to me. For some reason, I must have thought it was a choice. No matter how much I try, I cannot just climb out of a car trip of 30mi or more and appear normal. There is a certain amount of unwinding to be done.

...when I started having a difficult time standing up/walking (normally, like the good old days) upon getting out of a vehicle.

While I had witnessed folks "unshaking" that stiffness for years, I never thought it would happen to me. For some reason, I must have thought it was a choice. No matter how much I try, I cannot just climb out of a car trip of 30mi or more and appear normal. There is a certain amount of unwinding to be done.

Don't worry about it...it'll get worse on its own.

A few years ago I was listening to my favorite rock station and realized that to the millennials it was considered the oldies station. I was crushed.

A few years ago I was listening to my favorite rock station and realized that to the millennials it was considered the oldies station. I was crushed.

I still remember the first time I got on an elevator and heard a muzak version of Smoke on the Water. Devastating.

I have always held the door for anybody coming behind me. Young, old, ugly, pretty, doesn't matter. And at one point I was certainly considered a hot chick. I wonder if anybody felt "old" just because I was being polite :LOL:

In Vienna some young people held the door open for us. When that hot chick holds the door open for you, it hits you that you truly are an old dude.

For fun. When did you first realize you were no longer 25?

I am no longer 25? Really? :D

Oh well, I suppose not. :LOL:

Mentally I feel younger every year. I was one of those "old children" who preferred conversing with adults and especially with the elderly. With strict parents I did not have much time to play at all, even by myself, after chores and homework were done. So, now that I am retired, I am making up for the lack of play during childhood, and enjoying video games and that kind of worthless pursuit that sort of makes up for the lack of play as a kid. I am all for having plenty of playtime in retirement! :whistle: I love that there is nobody on earth who can tell me I can't play a childish video game if I want to.

Physically, there were warning signs at age 50 but nothing like what I am experiencing right now at age 69. :)

Last edited:
Physically, there were warning signs at age 50 but nothing like what I am experiencing right now at age 69. :)

You're just getting warmed up......or is that 'warned up'?

Back
Top Bottom