For you Windows users...

I would recommend Ubuntu to anyone having to re-install an operating system. Another thing I like about it, is I can make a backup of the entire system is about 30 min, and it will fit on a DVD, and can be re-installed from that DVD.

What are you using for back up? So far I've been pretty happy with Ubuntu running as my main machine now for about a month (used Ubuntu on an ASUS netbook occasionally for a year before that).

I was spoiled by the Mac OSX ability to make bootable clones, no reinstall or mucking around required - just copy, reboot, hold the option key and choose the system you want to boot into. Great way to test your backup.

Anyway, I've come to realize that the boot process in other OS's is just different and I won't get that capability, but I'm looking to come close, but I have to learn a bit more first. What I'm hoping to do is have a bootable installation on an external USB HD (got that done), and then keep it 'synced' to my main system, but w/o changing any of the boot parameters. My poor brain is in overload with GRUB2, MBR, UUID, fstab, and grub.cfg information.

But until I figure that out, I'm looking for solutions to at least get my data, or my /home partition backed up efficiently. And yes, w/o my pics/music, my home and root are only ~ 4GB each.

-ERD50

I am using Remastersys. Free, as just about everything is with Ubuntu. So far it has worked perfect for me. I have made 4 backups so far and each seems to work fine. I makes a complete backup to DVD, if you have not expanded Ubuntu too much, and the DVD will boot and run from DVD so you can test it.

Now I create the ISO, and copy it to a hard drive. I don't create the DVD anymore, as it has proven itself. It is a little risk, and I figure I will create the ISO once a year or so. I use Ubuntu mostly for web work, and therefore I do not add much to the basic installation.

I am using Remastersys. Free, as just about everything is with Ubuntu. So far it has worked perfect for me. ... the DVD will boot and run from DVD so you can test it.

Thanks, the boot ability is exactly what I was looking for. I had come across references to Remastersys, but there are so many packages and so many opinions on so many tools it is hard to sort it out. I'll dig into that one and give it a try.

One of these days I might start a Poll - "Do you tweak your computer settings?". I do a fair amount of customization to get things the way I like them, that is why I want to clone my entire setup. Sure, having the data is important, but I end up dong these tweaks here and there as I come across them. And once I do them I tend to forget about it, so re-setting everything can be a real pain.

DW OTOH, pretty much uses hers as it came out of the box. Not much to do if I did need to reinstall her OS.

-ERD50

I don't tweak Windows 7 much, mostly the FireFox browser. However, Linux is a different dog. I am always playing with something there. I think it is because it is so easy to pop in the DVD and be back to where I started. I reinstalled Windows XP and it took about 4 hours before I had everything back. I routinely redo Ubuntu and I think it is less than 30 min. It is so short I just never bothered to time it.

I have used both of those, the problem is testing the backup. In testing the backup it writes over the existing system. If the backup is flawed, then your original is gone and the backup is gone. Also with DriveImage you have to have the same size partition or possibly larger, I am sure about the same size, or it will not install. But, still, both of these are good backup solutions.

Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008 is also a good backup program, similar to DriveImage, yet it lets you make a bootable CD/DVD. I think you can test the backup, and look at individual files, like DriveImage, however, once you start your install all bets are off.

With RemasterSys, you make a bootable DVD that comes up and running the same system you will install. If it boots and runs then your are pretty sure it will install. But, hey, there are no guarantees.

Acronis works for me. I do monthly full disk image backup to an external HD. I've occasionally done a disk re-image, it took about 30 min.. Acronis advertises you can work with individual files while a re-image is in progress, but I've not used it. I did burn the disk image to dvd instead of HD and then tried re-imaging, but after 1 hour I gave up and used the HD to re-image. So at least in my situation, a dvd is useless.

..., the problem is testing the backup. In testing the backup it writes over the existing system. If the backup is flawed, then your original is gone and the backup is gone.

I'm amazed at how many people don't 'get' that.

I tell people, if you haven't tested your back up, you should assume it doesn't work, and you are just going through the motions.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom