Forcing a smile while cringing

.........And I remember our (non-radiant heat) neighbors complaining about their heating bill...our bill was about half of theirs!
I don't know why this would be true unless their ducts were very leaky or the house was not insulated well.

Radiant heat puts forced air heat to shame. It is unbelievably cozy.

I have to agree, having grown up in a house with oil-fired hot water heat with those big ol' cast iron radiators underneath every single-pane window in the house. I think the only insulation was about three inches in the attic, nothing in the walls, which of course were plaster, not drywall.

We had a house in the Chicago area, built in 1958 with a boiler (natural gas) and cast iron radiators. BEST heating system EVER. The trick was to know how to set the thermostat so that the radiators didn't get too hot for too long...You sort of had to let them "coast" and give off heat after the boiler switched off.
Radiant heat puts forced air heat to shame. It is unbelievably cozy.
And I remember our (non-radiant heat) neighbors complaining about their heating bill...our bill was about half of theirs!

Not for everyone, personal preference comes into play.

I grew up in a house with radiant heat (the more modern hot water, not steam system). It used a "boiler", nothing wrong with a boiler, per se. But every home since then has been forced air. I *much* prefer forced air.

I like to turn the heat down at night, or if we are out for more than an hour or so. I like the place to warm up quickly when I want. I'd turn the heat up on a cold day when I take a shower, I like the warm air circulating when I get out. If I'm on active project, I'll turn the heat down. If I sit down to read, I'll turn the heat up. You just can't get those bursts when you want with radiant heat. It's slow and even, a blessing in some cases, a curse in many others.
-ERD50

I know people who had radiators and it was a pain to get it just right. I'm with ERD50 on this one. I live on the Canadian prairies where heating is a serious issue and natural gas forced air dominates. I love it. I turn the heat up and down all the time and much prefer instant control rather that than waiting for a boiler to catch up. I don't need "even" heat when the temperature difference is 1 or 1.5 degrees between on and off...that's more than even enough for me.

I've lived in houses with hot water radiators all my life. Actually, here in the frozen north, the cost of heating is very manageable. Radiators are the BEST. It is kind of a ritual to hold out as long as possible in the fall to turn them on (we are getting there right now) and to bleed them. Besides, cats love to lie on them and there's nothing more calming than a cold morning, warm radiator, and purring cat stretched out on the radiator. I do put a towel on it for his comfort.

Only one time, as a renter for a brief period, I had forced air and it was miserable--very uneven heat throughout the house and made me gag at times with the smelly air coming through.

Only one time, as a renter for a brief period, I had forced air and it was miserable--very uneven heat throughout the house and made me gag at times with the smelly air coming through.

I've had forced air for 40 years. Simple fix. Clean the ducts, change the air filter, and adjust the dampers.

I've had forced air for 40 years. Simple fix. Clean the ducts, change the air filter, and adjust the dampers.
My experience, too. Another benefit of forced air is that it is easy to add air conditioning.

I have one-pipe steam heat in my 1929 house. I like it well enough, but would prefer two-pipe hot water heat. (I don't really require central air where I live, so that is not an issue.)

I've lived in houses with hot water radiators all my life. Actually, here in the frozen north, the cost of heating is very manageable. Radiators are the BEST. It is kind of a ritual to hold out as long as possible in the fall to turn them on (we are getting there right now) and to bleed them. Besides, cats love to lie on them and there's nothing more calming than a cold morning, warm radiator, and purring cat stretched out on the radiator. I do put a towel on it for his comfort.

I grew up in a forced-air house in St. Paul, and now live in an 1890s house with hot water radiators. They're both fine. I do love the cat on the radiator, too, and we often put wet towels on radiators to humidify the dry winter air, too. We love our radiator heat just fine, though I don't think one or the other is significantly better, as long as it's working well. I don't really understand the need to turn the heat up or down quickly on a whim.

Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post
I don't really understand the need to turn the heat up or down quickly on a whim.
To save energy.

+1. And for comfort.

As I said, if I'm doing something active around the house, I can feel warm with the thermostat at 64F. But sit on the couch to read or browse, and I'm going to be cold and need it to be 70~72F. I might switch from those activities quickly, I don't want to wait for the room to slowly warm up.

-ERD50

I have one-pipe steam heat in my 1929 house. I like it well enough, but would prefer two-pipe hot water heat. (I don't really require central air where I live, so that is not an issue.)

I remember reading about these old one-pipe steam systems. I thought, what the heck? How do you circulate the heat with one pipe?

Ahhh! It's steam on the way up as heat rises, condensing to water as it cools. The water is heavy enough to drip back down to the source as the steam rises above it in the pipe. I guess it works OK, and saved on piping and a pump.

-ERD50

+1. And for comfort.

As I said, if I'm doing something active around the house, I can feel warm with the thermostat at 64F. But sit on the couch to read or browse, and I'm going to be cold and need it to be 70~72F. I might switch from those activities quickly, I don't want to wait for the room to slowly warm up.

-ERD50

That too. I turn down when active, out, or sleeping, turn it up when reading or watching TV. I also have a Wi-Fi thermostat and can adjust the temperature when I'm on the way home.

Plus I open and close one or more dampers in the finished basement depending on what we're doing and how warm we need it to be.

If I'm cold I put on long pants and a flannel. If I'm hot I put on shorts and a T shirt. Takes 60 seconds.

I remember reading about these old one-pipe steam systems. I thought, what the heck? How do you circulate the heat with one pipe?

Ahhh! It's steam on the way up as heat rises, condensing to water as it cools. The water is heavy enough to drip back down to the source as the steam rises above it in the pipe. I guess it works OK, and saved on piping and a pump.

-ERD50

If you ever have an interest in learning more about them, I highly recommend the book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" by Dan Holohan: https://heatinghelp.com/store/detail/the-lost-art-of-steam-heating

Yeah, all the radiators had a venting device to let the air out until they got hot and closed. In the fraternity I lived in they were a frequent replacement item. The room I had for 2 years had a steam/water hammer problem and blew it regularly. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in a brass plug and filling up a 5 gallon bucket.

But at least the heat worked.

I had an apartment once with forced air through ceiling vents. Had one vent in the kitchen near the sink. The heat was very uneven, and especially sucked when I was doing the dishes and it cycled on and blew hot air on my head.

Just wish them the best, and don't worry about them unless they come to you asking for $$$. 😀 Hopefully it will be a positive experience for them. They have more guts than myself for sure. I just try and keep my side of the street clean. They may actually do a great rehab and come out on top. However right now in many markets, it is very hard to find a good contractor as the good ones are extremely busy and booked out. Through the years I had many friends riding around in new cars, big homes, etc while I was being frugal and keeping my eye on the prize of early retirement. I retired at 49, house/car is paid for, and I can take nice vacations when we want and enjoy each day to the fullest. I am thankful I never played the keeping up with the Joneses game earlier in life and hope I never do.

I grew up in a forced-air house in St. Paul, and now live in an 1890s house with hot water radiators. They're both fine. I do love the cat on the radiator, too, and we often put wet towels on radiators to humidify the dry winter air, too. We love our radiator heat just fine, though I don't think one or the other is significantly better, as long as it's working well. I don't really understand the need to turn the heat up or down quickly on a whim.

At one time I had DIY circuit with a push button. If I came in the house and was hot, I would push the button and the air would run for 3 minutes to help cool me off. Also if I felt cold, I could push the button and run the heat for 3 minutes. I do understand the [-]need[/-] desire to turn the heat up or down quickly on a whim.

If you ever have an interest in learning more about them, I highly recommend the book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" by Dan Holohan: https://heatinghelp.com/store/detail/the-lost-art-of-steam-heating

I spent 68 of my 69 years with single pipe steam heat in three homes. Most of these are converted from old coal fired boiler systems.

Worked just fine and we found it economical; I built some nice radiator covers for them too. We just went to forced hot air in our new house and love it, although it is comparatively much more noisy. A good steam system makes very little noise; the 'air hammer' is often not that at all but crap floating on the top of the boiler's water; easy to fix.

Steam's downside: You have to keep the water on if you leave for a few weeks in the winter otherwise the boiler runs out of water and you freeze your pipes.

Mom still has steam at her house and I have to go over whenever the furnace guys come for a cleaning and explain the peculiarities of her set up.

Last edited:
When I was in college and a poor boy getting by on the G.I. Bill, we heated cans of beans (for dinner) on the steam heat radiators in our cheap apartment.

The most comfortable heating system I have ever had was forced hot water baseboard radiators. Full perimeter of the house except for the kitchen cabinets. This was in MA, with no AC. Once it got to temp, there was virtually no variation in temp.

With AC, then forced hot air kind of is the sensible solution. But not nearly as stable.

The most comfortable heating system I have ever had was forced hot water baseboard radiators. Full perimeter of the house except for the kitchen cabinets. This was in MA, with no AC. Once it got to temp, there was virtually no variation in temp.

With AC, then forced hot air kind of is the sensible solution. But not nearly as stable.

I can't believe that anyone can be bothered by a 1 - 1.5 degree temperature swing gradually over several minutes. My goodness....what happens if you're outside and a cloud passes over the sun? :LOL:

What could go wrong?

So they bought a house for $500K, appear to need to put in at least that much again just to realize their "dream", all while living in Fort Apache (which your "emerging market" comment leads me to believe). What could go wrong? Sounds like a wonderful abode that they will be very happy in.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Back
Top Bottom