front-load washer/washing machine smell - not gasket

Two tricks to avoid smell in front loader. Both needs to be followed when washer is brand new. Getting rid of the established mold from humid place is very hard.

1. Look at back of the washer and locate some grill area towards top of the washer. Install a small computer fan that can run off 5v USB charger. Air flow should be away from the washer. Keep this fan running 24-7 and keep the washer door closed. The trick is keep the humid air out of the drum area. This is the most important step.
2. Clean the "penny catcher" couple of times a year. Not that important. We clean this every year.

We have yet to see any mold signs or smell in my washer in 5 years. My last front loader without these preemptive measures started smelling in 3 years.

We are on our 3rd front load washer and never had a smell problem in any of them. Once every two months or after 50 loads we use Clorox washing machine cleaner then a rinse and spin cycle.

Last edited:
I have Samsung front load washer and dryer. I haven't had a problem.

The manufacturer recommends wiping the gasket after each wash. In addition, I wipe the inside of the door, blot out the detergent drawer and leave everything open to air out.

Occasionally I will remove the detergent drawer and wipe out the channel where it sits. I empty the filter area at the bottom of the machine about once a year, and when I remember I run a clean cycle.

The salesman recommended using only half the detergent recommended. I do this and have no issues with clothes coming out clean.

It's been 6 years, and it is still running like new.'

- Rita

I have been researching front loaders for a decade. I have yet to purchase one based upon the plethora of unfavorable reviews on every brand, every model I have ever reviewed. While there are certainly plenty of happy owners, the idea of shelling out that kind of money for a set of vexing problems leaves me happily stuffing my clothes into my old, pre-millennial top loader. It will be a sad day when the repairman puts the DNR on that machine.

As long as you got one before they changed the agitator you are good.... the newer models do not clean as well....

DW will not go back to a top loader... thinks front loader is the only way to go... 'modern' as she says...

I have been researching front loaders for a decade. I have yet to purchase one based upon the plethora of unfavorable reviews on every brand, every model I have ever reviewed. While there are certainly plenty of happy owners, the idea of shelling out that kind of money for a set of vexing problems leaves me happily stuffing my clothes into my old, pre-millennial top loader. It will be a sad day when the repairman puts the DNR on that machine.
Have you priced non-HE machines? Speed Queen seems to be the only manufacturer making them.

Cost is equivalent to the High Efficiency machines. Throw in lower water/electricity usage, better cleaning action, and faster drying. That leaves you with choices. (Especially when Home Depot or Lowe's have manufacturer events that get you HE equipment at lower cost than Speed Queen)

- Rita

Happy with our 2010 top-loading LG HE washer.

Much larger capacity than the older design (top-loading, central agitator) it replaced.

Avoids most of the problems of front-loaders.

Thanks for all the feedback. We switched to pods to ensure proper detergent amount, but that may have been too late. I'll try one of the cleaning products (vinegar did nothing) and hope we can reset it. I'm curious about the front load Speed Queens. They seem to get rave reviews. Hard to weigh that versus an LG HE top load if we end up replacing.

We always wipe the gasket and door and remove the soap dispenser to dry, as well as leaving the door and soap dispenser open, and run the occasional system clean. Our washing machine still smells new after 6 years.

Electrolux

Those with HE top-loaders -- any issues with not getting clothes clean, not rinsing the detergent completely away, or cycles stopped midway due to unbalancing error?

Those with HE top-loaders -- any issues with not getting clothes clean, not rinsing the detergent completely away, or cycles stopped midway due to unbalancing error?
We've had a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top-loader for six years and not had any of the above problems other than an occasional unbalancing error when washing something large and bulky.

We did have some issues at first and learned you need to pay attention to the instructions on how to load it. Once we figured that out it has worked very well for us.

Ours is about that and it does not smell at all. the Key is after any (Yes Any and EVERY) wash leave the door partially open for a day or two.

I would do a wash (empty) with Bleach to clean it out. Then follow the recommendation above.

1. Getting clothes clean: Actually my LG HE top-loader has managed to remove stains that had been through dozens of cycles with my previous (not HE) top loader. It cleans better than any washer I have ever used. If clothes are extra dirty, it has a heavy duty cycle that runs for an hour and a half, and no dirt can survive that cycle IMO.

2. Detergent rinsing away: I use the amount of liquid HE detergent recommended, and put it in the place where the instructions say to put it, so detergent is never too much, too little, or not rinsed away. My guess is that the key with HE is to follow the directions meticulously instead of doing things the way you did them with your old non-HE top loader.

3. Unbalancing errors? In two years, it has never once stopped at any point due to unbalancing error. But then, I generally pay attention to how my clothes are balanced when putting them in any washer. Old habit from back in the non-He days.

Last edited:
We've always been pretty good about not putting in too much detergent. We always use Tide Free & Clear HE -- first the liquid and now the pods. I wonder if it's possible this is related? Neither of us can stand the typical detergent that leaves clothes smelling like cheap perfume!

We've always been pretty good about not putting in too much detergent. We always use Tide Free & Clear HE -- first the liquid and now the pods. I wonder if it's possible this is related? Neither of us can stand the typical detergent that leaves clothes smelling like cheap perfume!
That's the good stuff, exactly the same brand and type of detergent that we use.

I'm very sensitive to perfumes too, and avoid them whenever possible.

That's exactly what we've learned with ours. RTFI, follow them and it works great. :)
Exactly. RTFI slowly and carefully, and follow them obsessively to get good results. Soon it becomes habit to actually measure the detergent, and to put it where the manual says to put it instead of just slopping about the right amount in there anywhere. I don't even think about it any more.

Last edited:

Of course there were the old GE filter flow washers, which started the spin cycle with a full tub of water, then began to dance around once some of the water was pumped out. (they did not have a seperate pump, but rather the pump was on the motor shaft and a belt went to the transmission).

This. +1000

Just went through this process 2 months ago.
After taking the front covery, the "coin collector"collects a bunch of smelly gunk. I also had to replace the big rubber gasket, as it was infiltrated with with mildew. I tried various cleaners with steel wool with no avail.

Although we solved the problem, DW threaten me with bodily harm if we replace it later with another front end loader.

How many years did you use the machine before you cleaned out this filter? Were you noticing a smell? Or just maintenance?

We used the machine for about 11 months, then found out about the filter. The machine was my late MIL's prior to us using it. I don't know if MIL knew about it either. I found the owner's manual inside when I took the panel off.

The machine sat unused for a while until our machine failed, which could have been the problem all along.

We have the top loading LG brand. It does not have an odor per se, but it wrings the clothes so hard they are barely damp when the cycle finishes. The side effect is they need to be removed within a few hours or they do start to go sour...the clothes, not the machine. Also, the wrinkles are harder to remove. We use about 2/3 of recommended amount of liquid Tide He detergent. We must have dirtier dirt than W2R since the cleaning is mediocre....mostly I notice my work jeans don't get as clean. I do leave the lid open after a removing a load, but not sure about the rest of the household! No issues with rinsing the detergent out.

This machine does some sort of dynamic balance routine before the load runs. If it detects a problem loading, it usually alerts you before it runs. If you add items, it will re-run the dynamic balance routine. Only once in 5 yrs has it every stopped mid cycle due to unbalance load. I noticed a tv commercial where they dumped a laundry bag full of items into the machine. I always add items one by one and shake them out before dropping them in. It has no agitator and the drum is huge so you can really put a lot of bulky stuff in there.

Last edited:
We have the top loading LG brand [...]We must have dirtier dirt than W2R since the cleaning is mediocre
Only once in 5 yrs
You have a different washer than I do. The model I bought was brand new two years ago, is quite oversized compared with other LG models, cost an arm and a leg, and was top rated by Consumer Reports.
We use about 2/3 of recommended amount of liquid Tide He detergent.
As I mentioned before, I measure the exact amount recommended and use that. Possibly you do not follow other instructions in the manual so you might want to re-read it and do exactly what it says, to see if that would result in good cleaning with your model of washer. RTFI as REWahoo calls this.

Just a quick update. As a last ditch effort before forcing myself to decide on and buy a new machine, I did three back to back runs on the Tub Clean setting with no clothes and max bleach in the drawer and another half cup directly in the drum for good measure. After the second one there was a noticeable improvement and after the third there was a normal level of smell (all machines have a little smell to them IMO).

I've of course done the tub clean before, but not back to back to back and not with so much bleach.

We've run 5 or 6 normal loads since then and so far so good. Fingers crossed!

You have a different washer than I do. The model I bought was brand new two years ago, is quite oversized compared with other LG models, cost an arm and a leg, and was top rated by Consumer Reports.

As I mentioned before, I measure the exact amount recommended and use that. Possibly you do not follow other instructions in the manual so you might want to re-read it and do exactly what it says, to see if that would result in good cleaning with your model of washer. RTFI as REWahoo calls this.

I've done all those things, but they don't make any significant difference. After reading this thread, I went looking for a filter to clean. I went through all the service and user manuals. It doesn't have one for the dirty water. It does have filters on the inlet fittings, but the system should detect if they need to be cleaned and give a fault code. Just to clarify, I like the machine, no issues with odor or other He machine complaints, but it doesn't clean like the old Kenmore and my clothes have more wrinkles. It's all OK cause I'm saving water, right? So glad we went with top load, too.

This also a reminder for me to replace the hoses. I try to replace them when they are 6-7 years old.

Depending on your model, you need to remove two or four screws to take the panel off to get to the "coin collector". It will sit right in front of the pump, to prevent the cheapa$$ pump that costs a gazillion dollars from getting fouled on a penny. You will find buttons, bobby pins, paperclips, and about one-two tablespoons of some of the foulest sludge known to man.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom