Funerals

BigNick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
One of my new definitions of a good year these days is one in which I don't have to go to a funeral. But generally that means the funerals of people older than me.

Tomorrow I get to go to one for a former colleague, one of the nicest and most honest people I have ever met. He was just "a guy in the computer department" to most people, but when I moved to HR I recommended him to serve as an informal disputes counsellor, where he did a fantastic job, always completely fair to all concerned. We hadn't spoken so much since I retired, but he's been on my radar, helping me out with the occasional technical question now that I'm no longer the computer expert.

Two days ago I learned that he died of cancer, age 50. He leaves two kids, aged 16 and 17. (At least our organisation has excellent benefits for this kind of situation.)

Thanks for letting me put this here. As I mentioned in another thread, DW handed in her notice earlier this week, and we can't wait to get started on doing what we can, while we can.

That would be a great year with no funerals.
In the last 2 years plus I have seen 23 people I have known, between 55 and 65 years old pass away. It is always sad to here about people we know but then I realize that is life but hard to understand.

Last edited:
That would be a great year. After I FIREd I took care of my father for 6 months until he passed. Best decision I made. When I worked in Megacorp I worked with peers who passed in their early 40s, and 50s due to heart attacks ( one at his desk) or cancers. Life is too short, enjoy while it lasts and don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your friend, and even with great benefits, that will be a hard one to get over for the family. I lost my sister to cancer this year and understand your grief.

In January this year I went to the funeral of a cousin who was my best friend growing up. He was 6 weeks younger than me, a great athlete in his youth, but died at age 63.

In January the previous year (2018) I went to the funeral of my wife's BIL who was aged 66. We had all been great friends and spent loads of time together ever since we were teenagers. Super fit and healthy right up to the moment he was diagnosed with aggressive pancreatic cancer 6 months before he died.

It really does make you pause for thought when contemporaries and folks you really know well die.

I am at the age (early 70's ) were friends are dropping like flies or developing awful illnesses . It really brings home the message to enjoy life now .

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It's hard, but I try to cherish the good memories. A friend who passed ... I see him in my mind's eye, pointing at the pictures of his dogs and grinning from ear to ear.

Take care of yourself, and I wish you blessings, and also comfort for your friend's family.

So very sad. Wow Street that’s a lot of people dying and they weren’t that old.

Back
Top Bottom